• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can you really expect passion when you play 15 games a year?

This is a job for these guys after all

And I'm trying to work out how best to put this - but how many of our players grew up dreaming of playing for the Wallabies?

Hell, its a weird kind of world that kills passion on the basis of not having been brought up in a place.

Did no-one here see Thorn playing for the Cane Toads? But what, didnt he have a "job" at the Broncos or something? Origin mungo ball has nothing to do with having a job.

And that passion is exactly what we want at the WBs. Where is our Arty Beetson?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hell, its a weird kind of world that kills passion on the basis of not having been brought up in a place.

Did no-one here see Thorn playing for the Cane Toads? But what, didnt he have a "job" at the Broncos or something? Origin mungo ball has nothing to do with having a job.

And that passion is exactly what we want at the WBs. Where is our Arty Beetson?

Aah Big Artie.

Think he's up there now playing the game made in Heaven

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Can you really expect passion when you play 15 games a year?

This is a job for these guys after all

And I'm trying to work out how best to put this - but how many of our players grew up dreaming of playing for the Wallabies?

Mate - great political correctness sidestep.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
http://rugby.com.au/news/2016/10/26/06/34/cheika-shoulder-surgery

Interesting story on the ARU about the coaching staff.

Cheika's involvement in training has put him into team rehab! He did his shoulder and needed a reconstruction after a collision with a key player.

"We'd be in big trouble if we left him out I tell you"

Bets on whose responsible? Hooper, Poey, Moore, Folau?

I like the missus

“When I rang my missus afterwards and told her what happened the first thing she said was 'is the player alright?"

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I still not sure if Wallabies problem is fitness, or as I keep saying I think they are mentally lazy, I do tend to think the reason got to places he wanted to an mentioned move is probably because he wanted to! Though I also take Strewths' point

I think in particular the Wallabies props don't do as much work as their AB counterparts. The 7/8 are normally fine and now the locks are picking up. Mumm is mentally lazy as seen in the London game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still not sure if Wallabies problem is fitness, or as I keep saying I think they are mentally lazy, I do tend to think the reason got to places he wanted to an mentioned move is probably because he wanted to! Though I also take Strewths' point

I think both are a major part of it . Cheika calls the measure "getting off your arse" We lack urgency to keep in play and get into play.

To me, that is part fitness and part mental. Our skills deteriorate as we tire, we don't get back into play quickly, we drop balls, we throw shittier passes, we fall off tackles and we work even less off the ball.

We see the ABs superior fitness in them pulling away in the back end of matches.

That said, it only really stands out against the ABs at the moment. They have for a number of years appeared leaner and fitter (so many have that "runners cheeks" hollowness in the face when compared the other test sides) and their skills deteriorate less because of it.

It is interesting that when Cheika had the Tahs rolling they were of the same philosophy. They trusted their systems, kept at it and had the fitness to roll over sides in the back end of matches

T

Train Without a Station

And the entire argument that is made is that the AB's aren't really a lot fitter, they are just more efficient so they expend less energy.........

If you are less fatigued at the end of matches, due to less inefficient and ineffective work you will be able to pull away........

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A good example of this mental laziness was the second try the Argies scored in the test at Twickers. The Wobs forwards are just strolling along their own try line, particularly Hooper who has his hands on his hips and is looking at the imaginary can he's kicking, while the Argies are taking a quick tap. That try would never have have been scored if the defence had hurried into position.

Have a look at the video at about 1:08:30 (go back a few minutes earlier to watch the whole play)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Wobs forwards are just strolling along their own try line, particularly Hooper who has his hands on his hips and is looking at the imaginary can he's kicking, while the Argies are taking a quick tap. That try would never have have been scored if the defence had hurried into position.

Not sure if I somehow watched a different video to you but I'm not sure exactly where this happens?!?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, this is an inaccurate piece of analysis from the commentator and by extension Mr Wobbly. Yes, Hooper has his hands on his hips, but the real issue is Wallabies had an adequate number of defenders and STILL over drift to put themselves in a bad defensive situation.

This was never Hoopers tackle, he was probably 2 men in from the key defender (often called the 'ball' defender). The fact he even got hands to the ball carrier shows he worked hard to get across.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah, this is an inaccurate piece of analysis from the commentator and by extension Mr Wobbly. Yes, Hooper has his hands on his hips, but the real issue is Wallabies had an adequate number of defenders and STILL over drift to put themselves in a bad defensive situation.

This was never Hoopers tackle, he was probably 2 men in from the key defender (often called the 'ball' defender). The fact he even got hands to the ball carrier shows he worked hard to get across.
I agree it wasn't Hooper's tackle to make. DHP was covering two on the outside. Sio ran hard to try and get into position but, ultimately wrong-footed himself and opened the gap when Foley completely missed their #12. Once they realised what was happening Hooper, Genia and Arnold all tried to get across and cover but too late. When the ref blew the whistle for the advantage Landajo took off and the Wallabies were slow to react.

Well taken try though and would have been hard to stop even if there was a cover defender there.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
And the entire argument that is made is that the AB's aren't really a lot fitter, they are just more efficient so they expend less energy...

If you are less fatigued at the end of matches, due to less inefficient and ineffective work you will be able to pull away....

This ^^^

We lack the attacking firepower. In that last test, we expended energy in attaining bulk possession and field position, but could not land the killer blow. New Zealand scrummed hard to tire and neutralise our bigger pack, who were doing quite well in the tight stuff until the 50th minute. They then capitalised on errors in broken play with big, fast outside backs. They do this against every team, normally in a ten minute burst around about the 60th minute. They need to be beaten with discipline.

T

Train Without a Station

Dave I'd go as far to say this "fitness" complaint is a huge red herring.

New Zealand look fitter than us. But we generally look fitter than NH teams.

It's based on the presumption that despite Australia having a far advanced professional sporting structure to NZ's which hardly extends beyond rugby, that despite significant crossover of professionals in Aus sporting S & C, that NZ just magically manage S & C in a superior manner.

And likewise us to the NH.

I find this highly unlikely that NZ are vastly, or at all superior in S&C.

But if you are less accurate and less effective in what you do, it will be more difficult and you will require a greater level of strength and conditioning to do the same thing.

Add in your point Dave regarding repeated attacking to minimal effect and that just adds to this.

Unless Cheika can get the Wallabies to a point where they are so vastly superior to other nations in S & C, to a level that probably is not possible, I don't see S & C levels rectifying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.