• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow just seen the Norths website - I did not appreciate that since 1976 they have won just 3 premierships - 2 (old fashion) 4th grade and 1 Normanby Cup (old fashioned 5th grade).

No disrespect but that is slim pickings in anyone's world.

I am sure they will be hoping to chanel the AFL's Western Bulldogs win next year!!!!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
You're kidding right?

He's played International rugby and Queensland Country NRC.

He might be a "reserve grade player" when Pettowa Paraka is in town, but Campbell would be starting at just about any other club

King are you AJ's manager? Come on let's be real- he may have been capped for the Cook Islands and made a few token appearances for QC (Quade Cooper) but I don't think he would be in the best 10 front rowers in QPR and I think you will find that the last game he played was for Easts Reggies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
No affiliation whatsoever with the player.

I just remember Easts' scrum being absolute top tier in 2015 when Campbell, Richards, and Kirwan Sanday were the starters.

Whether he's in the top ten/top five looseheads? Maybe it's up for debate.

Is he in the Top 18? Absolutely. If you think he isn't in the top nine looseheads in the competition you're dreaming. He belongs in Premier Grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
Personally I don't get to fixated on Prem Reserve as there are plenty of prem reserve players running around in the big clubs that would be in Prems at other clubs. The great thing about the NRC is its forcing players to look at other clubs so they are playing Prem's week in week out to have a better chance of selection.

Bulldog brings up a good point around Norths lack of success , I didn't realise it was that long between drinks and even the number of drinks. What I will say though is it sounds like they are heading the right direction and as a broader rugby community we need to get behind that, being happy with seeing the bottom 2 clubs each year as whipping boys isn't good for the comp or Qld rugby. I wouldn't believe Norths are thinking GF Bulldogs style, however I think finals would be a big motivator and goal for them.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There are still a number of good teams Norths would have to get through first before making the finals. GPS, Sunnybank, the Students and Souths come to mind. Unsure about the Tigers at this stage. Mack Mason is a big loss.

GPS deserve inclusion. They did manage to beat Brothers both times this season. But failed to capitalise against Wests (A) Easts (H) UQ (H) SB (A). With Mathison as HC, he will tidy up the small errors GPS were making this year, which will result in them winning more games in 2017.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
No affiliation whatsoever with the player.

I just remember Easts' scrum being absolute top tier in 2015 when Campbell, Richards, and Kirwan Sanday were the starters.

Whether he's in the top ten/top five looseheads? Maybe it's up for debate.

Is he in the Top 18? Absolutely. If you think he isn't in the top nine looseheads in the competition you're dreaming. He belongs in Premier Grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look I wish the bloke all the best but I don't think that anyone would lose much sleep if they were to take on Cambell, Richards & Sanday at scrum time. I just think that Sanday is the only genuine Premier Grade player in that trio.

nenenoah

Frank Row (1)
What are norths creating...

Every year for the past decade norths have easily been the club with the highest turnover rate of players. The elite clubs - Sunnybank, brothers, uq etc. have been built on a core group of players, if this was Fifa their team chemistry would be through the roof, and we can't forget how important that is. Last year, they didn't even have a bad team on paper. On the field tho? Average, lacking consistency and my favourite word.. Chemistry. This year makes me think of the basketball dream teams that get shun together every now and then. They're building a club of unloyal players. They will persist to have such a high turnover rate by only focusing on import and not the cattle they have. I'd leave if someone was coming and getting paid with promises. What chance would I now have no matter how hard I worked? Sure they'll have 7 great players in a side but no focus on developing or keeping their cattle makes a means for an average season. Where are the brains?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What are norths creating.

Every year for the past decade norths have easily been the club with the highest turnover rate of players. The elite clubs - Sunnybank, brothers, uq etc. have been built on a core group of players, if this was Fifa their team chemistry would be through the roof, and we can't forget how important that is. Last year, they didn't even have a bad team on paper. On the field tho? Average, lacking consistency and my favourite word.. Chemistry. This year makes me think of the basketball dream teams that get shun together every now and then. They're building a club of unloyal players. They will persist to have such a high turnover rate by only focusing on import and not the cattle they have. I'd leave if someone was coming and getting paid with promises. What chance would I now have no matter how hard I worked? Sure they'll have 7 great players in a side but no focus on developing or keeping their cattle makes a means for an average season. Where are the brains?

Yes it's all very well having an open door policy but it's just as important to make sure the back door is locked tightly!!!!

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Another big coaching appointment at bond with Geoff Townsend coming on board to do the colts. This years colts and nsw country eagles forwards coach brad Harris has taken up an opportunity with the Georgian national team, great news for brad, he did a wonderful job with bonds colts program this year. Townsend is a brilliant coach, great opportunity for colts to learn off him. Bonds emphasis on colts will pay off for them over the next few years I believe.
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...h/news-story/7cdf2664cb6a1b0fdde461a79befcb66

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
I see Liam McNamara, Connor Mitchell, Alex Gibbon and Sam Caskick all named in the Australia 7s team for Fiji this weekend. Have they all signed on for Australia 7s or just on trials? I know Mitchell has signed in but have the others too? Wasn't Gibbon recently posted on norths facebook page as a key re-signing and McNamara similar for Sunnybank?

AshgroveGalloper

Frank Row (1)
For a bloke who got the sack from the second worst club in Brisbane, Chris Ryan and the fans of these reserve graders from Norths get a lot of mentions on this forum or they must run a few accounts on here
IMHO GPS dont tend to look outside of their own when it comes to coaches. You only need to look at the last two outsiders and what they were able to achieve - Matt Pini and Todd Dammers.
Prediction: GPS for minor premiers/GF in 2017 (I won't full hog and give them the title)

I did some digging around this Chris Ryan chap. Apparently made a bit of dough in business, now dabbles in rugby and is the silent partner behind "the agent co", a new player agency. The Norths prop, Gareth Ryan, has been lured by Ryan to Brothers on the basis of a premier grade start at Brothers. Brothers are also trying to recruit a Melbourne based NRC prop, so that might be an interesting conversation when Ryan ends up in reserve grade...

As for Ryan's departure from Norths, I have it on good authority that the senior leadership group asked for him to be removed from the coaching group mid-season. As I understand it, he threatened to pull his sponsorship of the club and the board decided to leave it until seasons end.

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
I see Liam McNamara, Connor Mitchell, Alex Gibbon and Sam Caskick all named in the Australia 7s team for Fiji this weekend. Have they all signed on for Australia 7s or just on trials? I know Mitchell has signed in but have the others too? Wasn't Gibbon recently posted on norths facebook page as a key re-signing and McNamara similar for Sunnybank?
R&M I think across all clubs you will always see player movement regardless of what's announced. Professional global rugby opportunities and rep footy are a step up from QPR so if offered, players will make moves accordingly.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
I did some digging around this Chris Ryan chap. Apparently made a bit of dough in business, now dabbles in rugby and is the silent partner behind "the agent co", a new player agency. The Norths prop, Gareth Ryan, has been lured by Ryan to Brothers on the basis of a premier grade start at Brothers. Brothers are also trying to recruit a Melbourne based NRC prop, so that might be an interesting conversation when Ryan ends up in reserve grade.

As for Ryan's departure from Norths, I have it on good authority that the senior leadership group asked for him to be removed from the coaching group mid-season. As I understand it, he threatened to pull his sponsorship of the club and the board decided to leave it until seasons end.

Ashgrove Galloper. Very impressed with your fairy tale attempt there, however not true at all.

Shungmao yeah great point, just thought Aus 7s had already named their contracted players that's all

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
popcorn-blank.gif

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Another big coaching appointment at bond with Geoff Townsend coming on board to do the colts. This years colts and nsw country eagles forwards coach brad Harris has taken up an opportunity with the Georgian national team, great news for brad, he did a wonderful job with bonds colts program this year. Townsend is a brilliant coach, great opportunity for colts to learn off him. Bonds emphasis on colts will pay off for them over the next few years I believe.
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...h/news-story/7cdf2664cb6a1b0fdde461a79befcb66

Brad Harris will be a massive loss for Bond and my sources down there tell me he might have ended up as Premier Forwards coach but that role is now with another Forwards coach who was helping down there this year.
As far as Townsend goes, he had the North Harbour Rays for 2 seasons with only 3 wins. Big name for sure but would love to see if there is a history of results before I get too excited. Harris definitely came with a successful track record. I personally haven't met the guy but I know up here in Sydney the talk is he's a good fella but coaching wise results of late and ability to recruit and retain guys haven't been that flash.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
How do these guys raise their profile as coaches without having runs on the board?

Is it just great self promotion?

It seems as it has been crucial in the coaching careers of people like Adrian Thompson, Dammers, etc

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
How do these guys raise their profile as coaches without having runs on the board?

Is it just great self promotion?

It seems as it has been crucial in the coaching careers of people like Adrian Thompson, Dammers, etc

What's funny about this comment is that Richard Graham has also been announced alongside Brad Harris as Georgia's backs/attack coach and I'm not even joking.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Continuing this coaching theme - is there a bit of pressure on Sean Hedger in 2017?

It will be his third year in charge at Bond and no Premier grade finals, granted they had Prem Res success in 2015, but their colts results haven't exactly trended up over the last two years either.

By all accounts Hedger has been well recompensed so I'd expect the Uni will want some runs on the board in 2017.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Hedger is charged with establishing a rugby program at Bond that doesn't just focus on Premier success. In saying that they will want to see improvement in the overall program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.