• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I dare say the Wallabies see AAAA as having the physical shape that Kepu does, and Robertson having the physical shape more reminiscent of Benn Robinson (the great man himself recent described the optimal shape of a LHP as short legs, long torso). On their physical attributes I think Alan developing as a 3 and Tom as a 1 makes the most sense.

If the Brumbies had any sense and had kept ahold of Ruan Smith and someone for the love of god brings back Mike Ala'alatoa then our developing THP stocks would look fine and the argument to keep Robertson there is thinner.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm not a resident fattie, I spent all my years playing 6, 7 or 8, and occasionally in the row, but from my experience, and we've had this discussion before, this is the lay of the land about the props:

Generally speaking, props are ambidextrous. However, usually but not always, the LHP is the technician and the THP is the big immovable fucker. But a technically proficient big fucker can play LHP, and similarly a LHP that is a big fucker can easily go to to the other side. Most of them have a preference but most of them can also play both sides.

Even so, you would prefer to swap AA and Robertson to the opposite sides to those that Cheika has them?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't know TBH. I assume they have reasons for playing them on whichever side which we aren't privy to. Maybe the super franchises are playing them on the 'wrong' side. As long as the scrum stays up and goes forward sometimes it's fine with me!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Paris: Eight fresh faces have joined the Wallabies touring party with Toby Smith, Andrew Ready, Paddy Ryan, Sam Carter, Nic Stirzaker, Luke Morahan and Taqele Naiyaravoro now all in Paris after making their way from Barbarians duties, as well as the Western Force's Jono Lance.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...is-ahead-of-france-clash-20161113-gsogc5.html
Would have liked to have seen a Sam Jeffries or Cadeyrn Neville being sent over with Lance seeing as Coleman looks to be out for an extended period but I assume Douglas is able to suit up (given he is with the team on tour) ?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that Cheika has implied some of these extras might be in line for selection against France this weekend to give some test regulars a rest. That's exactly what I would do, and have been banging on about it all week, but I won't hold my breath as Cheika often says things he has no intention of implementing.

If he does so, then I think the likely lads would be Ready, Carter, and Morahan to give the likes of Moore, Arnold and Folau a rest. I'd also see Slipper, Fardy, and Godwin coming into the 23 for France.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....Cheika has implied some of these extras might be in line for selection against France this weekend.....

MMMmm? That changes things for us keyboard selectors. TGC surprised us with his two XVs for the first two RWC matches last year, is he thinking about selecting two XVs for the French fixtures together with a 23 for the Irish test. That'd be the way I'd go. Easing the playing workload on some, Arnold, Hooper, Moore, Folau and Foley fer starters, makes eminent sense.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cadeyrn Neville hasn't played since the Super Rugby season and even then he wasn't overly impressive.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Douglas would be there to give Arnold a rest not Carter.
Carter is another Simmons but a lesser version.

Little physical impact, high work rate, good set pice (not as good as Simmons) and slower than Simmons.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Chek will pick the team for the French test with both eyes on the Irish game so I think he'll probably stick with nearly the same starters. But there is something amiss with the group.

Frankly I'd be flicking Sio, Moore, Hooper (if McMahon is fit then Poey to 7 and Sean to 6), Genia for Phipps, Speight and TK. Moore's tenure should be over.

I'd drop Robinson off the bench altogether as he has done nothing at all and bring Alan A on for Keps at 45minutes. Kepu has not been playing very well at all. .Same with Skelton (gone totally).. Really think of Folau at 13 and DHP at 15

Some big changes are needed IMO

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Chek will pick the team for the French test with both eyes on the Irish game so I think he'll probably stick with nearly the same starters. But there is something amiss with the group.

Frankly I'd be flicking Sio, Moore, Hooper (if McMahon is fit then Poey to 7 and Sean to 6), Genia for Phipps, Speight and TK. Moore's tenure should be over.

I'd drop Robinson off the bench altogether as he has done nothing at all and bring Alan A on for Keps at 45minutes. Kepu has not been playing very well at all. .Same with Skelton (gone totally).. Really think of Folau at 13 and DHP at 15

Some big changes are needed IMO

Tbh I think Moores been playing really well of late. He's been making a truckload of tackles and has been quite damaging with ball in hand (to me that's remarkable considering his sprint looks like a chafing-affected jog).

Sio hasn't been killing it but Scotland was his best game in a while. Didn't give away too many scrum penalties which has been a flaw of his recently and he was very good with ball in hand. It doesn't help that his replacements, Robertson and Slipper, have been not-much and quite bad respectively. He's still our best option.

Genia and Phipps I'm indifferent about, I'd keep TK as his forms been pretty good bar that missed tackle and he provides a bit of much needed starch and straight running in the backline. One thing I've noticed since his return is how much him straightening the attack provides space on the outside. I think Kerevi is often prone to stepping outside and trying to burn his defender - this can be devastating but it also soaks up space for other opportunities.

To round off my disagreements with you Scrubber - I'm not sure about dropping Speight. He hasn't been great but he's been serviceable. He provides he Horne option on the wing - strong runner, strong defender and additional flanker to secure the ball in wider channels. I think he's been good enough to be retained, especially considering the other options aren't great or inexperienced.

As for Kepu we must be watching different games. I think he's been fantastic. He's such a strong ball carrier and is very strong in the scrums. He won't be stopped or challenged for a good while, although AAAs development is very promising.

We agree on Skelton though. He can fuck right out of the 23 and spend six months eating sashimi and doing sprints.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
In reality Cheika will have his 23 picked for the Irish game and be working back from there.

For the baa baas no one in the Ireland game.

Now for the french game.

There is one issue here, France had been thought of as an easy game, but wallabies lost to them last time in 214 under Cheika. Also lost to them in 2012 in france. France just thrashed Samoa.

It is not going to be an easy game where the best players can be rested.

Cheika has also stated he wants to win every game.

Obviously on players who are close in ability / talent and have had not much time like QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley could be swapped.

But props Sio and Kepu are well ahead of the bench props and France are very good scrummagers.

Latu is better in the scrum than Moore so he could get a start.

Lock is weak with Coleman out. Arnold has not played that much nor has Simmons so they should start. Douglas on bench.

Pocock has not played that much due to injuries time to play him at 7. Hooper for impact off the bench. Fardy at 6. Timani at 8.
I think he well play Pocock at 6 and Hooper at 7 again though.
Mumm will also be selected ahead of Fardy.

Phipps should play 9 both in form and not played that much.

Rest of backs there is not much choice since replacements are not good enough. Morohan may be but has not been in the wallaby squad not enough time to get up to speed.
Speight may be replaced.
Hodge at 12, TK at 13, DHP at 14 and Folau at 15 , Cheika will stick to this IMO.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is the game to pick Koroibete and give him some minutes. Then come the hardest games of the Tour: Ireland & England.

You have to secure Koroibete because Gus Pichot (World Rugby vice-president) wants to extend the time for foreing players to become elegible for their new countries

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This is the game to pick Koroibete and give him some minutes. Then come the hardest games of the Tour: Ireland & England.

You have to secure Koroibete because Gus Pichot (World Rugby vice-president) wants to extend the time for foreing p
layers to become elegible for their new countries

Personally I think that's a good thing.

I also am of the belief that a player must be a citizen of a country in order to play for the national side.

I find it bizarre and difficult to reconcile that Quade, who has played 60+ times for Australia travels on a Kiwi passport wheras Samu Kerevi has become a naturalised citizen of Australia. Great stuff Samu. Talk about taking ownership.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I think that's a good thing.

I also am of the belief that a player must be a citizen of a country in order to play for the national side.

I find it bizarre and difficult to reconcile that Quade, who has played 60+ times for Australia travels on a Kiwi passport wheras Samu Kerevi has become a naturalised citizen of Australia. Great stuff Samu. Talk about taking ownership.

Still very difficult for kiwis to get the permanent visa required to gain Australian citizenship as far as I'm aware.

There's been some changes recently but they don't take effect until mid-2017

We might be cutting off a fair old supply of our talent there Scrubber!

Status
Not open for further replies.