• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree with most of the changes.

Ones I have an issue with.

Props - need the best ones , this is a strength of France. Sio and Kepu should start. Slipper out of form.

Lock - Arnold has not played much needs to start, Douglas on bench, Skelton out.

Godwin hasn't done enough to earn a start, Hodge needs all the experience at 12 he can get.

Speight is not in form and Folau should be tried on the wing.

If QC (Quade Cooper) plays well does he have a chance of forcing his way into starting for Ireland? Considering he running a weaker backline.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Another problem is whether or not we are giving the guys close to the A team a real chance. In mind are Cooper, McMahon, Naivalu, Morahan. All might prove better if given a shot while surrounded by the A team.

how much time has really been spent building this particular team?

If I was being Machievalen and looking on the dark side it looks like setup to fail to quieten all the dissenting voices on his selections.

Reactions: dru

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
If I was being Machievalen and looking on the dark side it looks like setup to fail to quieten all the dissenting voices on his selections.
Absolutely no way he did this.

If he actually did something like that and it became known he ought to be sacked on the spot.

But anyway, the team is strong yet rests key players. Everything weve all been asking for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
It is not a strong team at all.

It has 7 players with little test experience, the combinations aren't there in many areas.

It may have some talented players but that does not make a strong team.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Couldn't disagree more, PK. In fact, after seeing this team selected to play France I'm now quietly confident of a grand slam. THIS IS A VERY GOOD AUSTRALIAN TEAM RUNNING OUT ON SATURDAY! And it hits two nails on their heads with one blow: develops worthy talent (as EoYTs should) and gives that good handful of first choice players with the most playing minutes a rest. Fardy v Mumm, Pocock v Hooper, Cooper v Foley, there's fuck all lost playing either player in their respective positions. On another day this forward pack could run on for Australia, and be favourites to win that test apart from against the ABs.

Nice to see Godwin's good form these past few years rewarded, and Morahan's and big Taqele's efforts with the BaaBaas noted.

Australia by 9.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
2. Tolu Latu (1 Test)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (7 Tests)
8. Sean McMahon (12 Tests)
11. Henry Speight (8 Tests)
12. Kyle Godwin*
14. Sefanaia Naivalu (3 Tests)
15. Luke Morahan (2 Tests)

Front row little experience and no state combination.

None of the back 3 have experience and all 3 player for different state teams.

Godwin does not have a combination with either the 10 or 13 and also has little experience.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
The only combinations to speak of are in the halves and backrow and also where the experience is.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Couldn't disagree more, PK. In fact, after seeing this team selected to play France I'm now quietly confident of a grand slam. THIS IS A VERY GOOD AUSTRALIAN TEAM RUNNING OUT ON SATURDAY! And it hits two nails on the head with one blow: develops worthy talent (as EoYTs should) and gives that good handful of first choice players with the most playing minutes a rest. Fardy v Mumm, Pocock v Hooper, Cooper v Foley, there's fuck all lost playing either player in their respective positions. On another day this forward pack could run on for Australia, and be favourites to win that test apart from against the ABs.

Nice to see Godwin's good form these past few years rewarded, and Morahan's and big Taqele's efforts with the BaaBaas noted.

Australia by 9.
You can get on with me.
No limit.
Godwins good form these past few years?
He has been disappointing last 2 super comps.
And was not the best 12 in NRC by a considerable margin.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Godwin actually had a solid NRC, but not as good as Simone for one. I think he has won a spot to give Hodge a bit of a break and to provide another kicking option.

Will be a good start to the Godwin/Kuridrani combination for the Brumbies next year.:)

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
REally looking forward to seeing this backrow. Guys like McMahon will be really ready to rip in. Looking forward to seeing morahan, naivalu, naiyaravoro etc get a shot.
Having said that I agree with Moore, foley, hooper, Folau rested but still think hodge, timani, Arnold, DHP are early in their careers and the more experience they get the better.

The other problem is you never know what you are gonna get with France, we could win in a cakewalk or get stuffed again. They actually looked pretty good last week

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
1. James Slipper (83 Tests) - Veteran and fringe player. Previously 1st XV option.

2. Tolu Latu (1 Test) - Very green.

3. Allan Ala'alatoa (7 Tests) - Very green yet has showed promise and stability / security at the set piece / around the park in his appearances. Has also shown some good aggression.

4. Kane Douglas (28 Tests) - RWC XV Preferred Lock.

5. Rob Simmons (68 Tests) - RWC XV Preferred Lock.

6. Scott Fardy (38 Tests) - RWC XV Preferred 6.

7. David Pocock (c) (63 Tests) - RWC XV Preferred 8 (yet played like a flanker).

8. Sean McMahon (12 Tests) - Fringe player. Has been knocking on the door at 6/7/8.

9. Will Genia (vc) (73 Tests) - RWC XV Preferred 9.

10. Quade Cooper (65 Tests) - Veteran and fringe player. Previously 1st XV option.

11. Henry Speight (8 Tests) - Previously 1st XV player yet fringe.

12. Kyle Godwin* - Debutant (very green). Highly lauded.

13. Tevita Kuridrani (42 Tests) - Veteran and fringe player. Previously 1st XV option.

14. Sefanaia Naivalu (3 Tests) - Fringe player.

15. Luke Morahan (2 Tests) - Very green (highly lauded).

----

In summary:

- 4 inexperienced and left of field players (Latu, Ala'alatoa and Morahan).
- 6 veteran or fringe players.
- 5 RWC or more recent preferred starting XV players.

Leading to 11 veteran, fringe or preferred players. Not a bad starting XV considering the talent off the bench.

This should yield a win and I'm happy to see Cheika build some depth / test some new combinations.

Of course this all depends on how the team meshes. I'm decently confident regardless.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Really mixed feelings about this side. Hope they go great guns but can't help but feel a lack of combinations could hamper them.

Having said that 7. Pocock with a (c) next to his name brings a bit of confidence. Excited to see what happens and I'll be getting up at 5am AEST to cheer them on.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really hope the tight five can deliver the goods. Despite the French fatties gaining ascendancy in this area in 2012 and 2014 at the Stade de France, they only managed to barely scape home with the win in 2014.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think a good performance from Sefa or Morahan will probably see them take Speight's jersey next week.

Speight has been given a chance to 'grow' into the jersey but largely hasn't after a great ABs test (barring the silly intercept attempt).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Massive call from Cheika, but not one that I disagree with. We've all been screaming for resting some blokes and he's duly delivered.

There's nothing particularly wrong with resting blokes - but resting 11 all in the same match? That's not resting blokes, that's picking a B team.

I remember the Waratahs did something similar a few years back. "Rested" a similar number of blokes, got flogged, lost all momentum and lost their next matches as well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wow. I didn't expect that many changes at all. I think that although there are some good names in there, we'll probably look a little bit like a pickup team whilst on the field. At least everyone is in their usual position though, so that makes it easier.

I don't the think the French will take this well. It'll be a very tough match for our guys.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The one thing that excites me about this team is that they will all have something to prove. I'll bet that Cheika has told them that if any of them play the house down, they will be on the field against Ireland.
They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even Poey playing at his preferred position at openside breakaway.
Very happy to see Luke Morahan given a game in the gold jersey. He does have class.

Status
Not open for further replies.