• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Amirite - an update - bumped into a friend who reckons that there is something being planned re an NRC Baa Baas side. No firm details as yet however will post when there is.

The ARU have said it's not happening. Re-confirmed this morning.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The ARU have said it's not happening. Re-confirmed this morning.

Yeah, it would seem that way.

By the end of the NRC players have played 30+ games. A NRC rep side just isn't necessary and I'd question its value to play development. Name a merit XV, give the blokes their back pats, and move onto off-season where the real gains are made.

If a player is excellent in the NRC he goes on the Wallaby tour, if he's good he gets a contract and starts Super preseason, and if he's average or bellow he begins his own off-season to play better the following year.

The answer isn't more football.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, it would seem that way.

By the end of the NRC players have played 30+ games. A NRC rep side just isn't necessary and I'd question its value to play development. Name a merit XV, give the blokes their back pats, and move onto off-season where the real gains are made.

If a player is excellent in the NRC he goes on the Wallaby tour, if he's good he gets a contract and starts Super preseason, and if he's average or bellow he begins his own off-season to play better the following year.

The answer isn't more football.

I think at this stage of the competition Barbarian games add little especially after last years tour and no coverage of the games in any event.

We did it last year but does it add much value for expense at this stage - I would suggest not - and as you state lot of football already played by these players so not really a major value add at this stage. Reassess when NRC grows more in popularity etc after few more years

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A brief but pleasing article from The Roar regarding the NRC. Within it states that both attendance (10%) and viewership (23% per game) are both trending up. Considering just how outstanding this season was hopefully that has put it in good stead to continue this growth next season.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A brief but pleasing article from The Roar regarding the NRC. Within it states that both attendance (10%) and viewership (23% per game) are both trending up. Considering just how outstanding this season was hopefully that has put it in good stead to continue this growth next season.

All you can ask for is season on season growth.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
All you can ask for is season on season growth.

And you never know. By the time the next broadcasting deal comes around it might actually be worth something. Hopefully someone at the ARU are working away at developing a strategy on how to increase community engagement and perhaps some promotional plans for next season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I reckon would have been good growth particularly in backend with PI day and increased amount of conversations on NRC with some real starts to emerge from the season past like Simone etc....

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Did it say if that is per match or for the season as a whole? Either is good but if it's the season as a whole than its an even bigger kick than it appears, given there's one less team this year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Did it say if that is per match or for the season as a whole? Either is good but if it's the season as a whole than its an even bigger kick than it appears, given there's one less team this year.

Per match apparently. Though if it works out at the average of 26% per game wouldn't that also translate to the season average as well.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not as many games this year with one less team, so it wouldn't be quite as big a kick for the whole season. Still good though

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I like the idea of returning to a 5-2 split, but I would have penalty goals at 2 points, otherwise the incentive to concede penalties would be through the roof. And yes, you could respond by dishing out cards, but nobody wants to see a game decided by the fact that there was a 2 or 3 player differential on the field during key moments.

I think you could make that work with a minor tweak of the yellow card. Instead of 10 mins in the bin, it is an exclusion until the opposition next scores to a maximum of 10mins. I think it would also give the result they are after without changing any of the standard points values. First couple of penalties they might kick at goal but then the oppo lose a guy so instead of going for 3 and letting him straight back on again, they kick for the corner and play for a try.

The purists don't generally want to see the flat out tries at all costs footy and the people that do don't really want to see penalty goals. I think with this setup the game would fluctuate between the two modes sufficiently to create drama and interest for both camps.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think you could make that work with a minor tweak of the yellow card. Instead of 10 mins in the bin, it is an exclusion until the opposition next scores to a maximum of 10mins. I think it would also give the result they are after without changing any of the standard points values. First couple of penalties they might kick at goal but then the oppo lose a guy so instead of going for 3 and letting him straight back on again, they kick for the corner and play for a try.

The purists don't generally want to see the flat out tries at all costs footy and the people that do don't really want to see penalty goals. I think with this setup the game would fluctuate between the two modes sufficiently to create drama and interest for both camps.

Essentially the 'powerplay' system used in Ice Hockey. Though that lasts for 2 minutes I would have it run for however as long as the attacking team has possession. If or when they score then the player can come back on or conversely if the the attacking loses possession they can also return.

Could even have a small box marked behind each in goal for them to wait in.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like 5-2-2-2 or 5-3-3-3 as my points systems.

6-2-2-2 feels wrong, it goes too far in devaluing penalties. Also, it could be 3-1-1-1 which would make more sense.

Same for the rarely suggested 6-3-3-3, could just as easily be 2-1-1-1

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cheers, mate. I thought it was that one. Turns out I skipped right over the sentence about attendance and viewers. :)

TBH, I've not seen any consolidated attendance figures for the season. They must be hidden away somewhere.

(or I've missed them in plain sight).

Yeah, neither have I. Don't think we'll see anything until the numbers start to really build up.

T

TOCC

Fuck sake... Sydney's Rugby Union will announce the 2017 Shute Shield draw in coming weeks and have shifted the grand finals so that it overlaps with Rd 1 of the NRC.. whose the vice chairman of Sydney Rugby Union, none other then Brett Papworth..

This is why Rugby Union in this country is screwed, people let their stupid egoes get in the way of what's good for the game, absolutely disgusting.. I won't be watching any Shute Shield matches in 2017 if they do this