• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Saturday 26 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This is the weakest Wallaby team in two decades. I will suggest that the Wallabies are in for a wake up call of where they sit in global rugbys pecking Order over the next two weeks. Any side Dean Mumm is in can only be described as weak. Cheika needs to pick on form and not legacy favourites. Dropping Timani for that cream puff is a disgrace.
Posts like this are probably best over in the 'Wallabies Negativity Thread', however you are right in pointing out that the next 2 games will determine where we sit in rugbys global pecking order. If we win both we will be 2nd, if we win one or lose both narrowly we will be 3rd, and if we lose both by a margin we will be 4th. All of those outcomes will justify our seating in rugby's global pecking order IMO.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
fardy_at_6.jpg

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Of course I am a Wallaby supporter, though not a Chek lover as many on here cannot bear any criticism of the bloke and his assistants whatsoever. Reckon Mario should be looking for a new job, but Larkham now seems to be having some impact on the backs (maybe it is the influence of Mick B)

Plenty of critics talk about cronyism, favourites, NSW bias, blah vlah.

But at the end of the day Wallaby supporters should be just that.

Wallabies by 6

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
They lose to Ireland and England with one being by more than 10 points they will drop to 4th.

My understanding (from this resource: http://irbrankingcalculator.azurewebsites.net/ ) is that we won't fall below 3rd. And I know the IRB rankings are influenced by a greater than 15 point loss, a less than 15 point loss, a draw, and a less than 15 point win, and a greater than 15 point win. Or something similar to that. So 10 points or more may be using an old formula/system.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Michael - So the short answer is no you couldn't find a weaker one either, at best one with iffy evaluations the same.

Last year's rwc team is stronger than the team playing against Ireland.
Gits played better than Hodge has this year especially recently.
TPN is better than Latu who has little test experience and TPN was playing very well last year.
Moore last year better than the Moore this year.
Kuridrani this year better than last year though.
Holmes better than AAA.

That said last year they played above themselves.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The thing that killed us v England was our discipline, we scored more tries than them in 2 out of 3 games. The All Blacks have flogged everyone except Ireland, and the Boks out-strategised us at altitude.

We aren't very far off being #2 in the world with a fairly youthful and developing squad. Clearly it's not our best team in the past 2 decades, but really I don't get the constant pessimism from some of the serial moaners on here. It's really not called for.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
My understanding (from this resource: http://irbrankingcalculator.azurewebsites.net/ ) is that we won't fall below 3rd. And I know the IRB rankings are influenced by a greater than 15 point loss, a less than 15 point loss, a draw, and a less than 15 point win, and a greater than 15 point win. Or something similar to that. So 10 points or more may be using an old formula/system.

Australia cannot fall below 3 even if they lose both matches by a 1000 points and SA wins by a 1000

Then the 6N'S matches will be the last ones played before rwc seedings.

Then ireland could easily overtake australia and even wales so worst case scenario is 5th by end of 6n's.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Its still disappointing that we are not Number 2 and a convincing one at that.

That just says to me that however much "spin" you put on it we haven't improved very much at all.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Two? Pretty tough to make a case we should be above England who have won 11 on the trot and 3 against us in Aus.
Couldn't agree more, to be honest I think England should be well clear of Australia and closer to NZ if anything.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

That just says to me that however much "spin" you put on it we haven't improved very much at all.

Scrubber this is what the top 5 looks for if we win our next two games by 1 point and the other results are as expected:
1 New Zealand 94.78
2 ↑ (3) Australia 90.36 (+2.22)
3 ↓ (2) England 88.46 (-1.39)
4 ↑ (5) South Africa 83.19 (+0.62)
5 ↓ (4) Ireland 82.62 (-0.83)

I'd say that is fairly convincing, but if you still wouldn't be happy with that then this is if we win both by 15+:
1 New Zealand 94.78
2 ↑ (3) Australia 91.40 (+3.27)
3 ↓ (2) England 87.83 (-2.02)
4 ↑ (5) South Africa 83.19 (+0.62)
5 ↓ (4) Ireland 82.21 (-1.25)

But if we lose both by 1 point:
1 New Zealand 94.78
2 England 90.26 (+0.41)
3 Australia 86.56 (-1.58)
4 Ireland 84.62 (+1.17)
5 South Africa 83.19 (+0.62)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

You need a bit of a reality check, mate. Have a look at where our code stands in the hierarchy of Australian sport. And have a look at where rugby stands in the hierarchy of several of our competitors who, by the way, also have much larger populations to choose from.

We have no god-given "right" to be second, third, or fifth. We should belong in the top 10. That's about all we can say.

Being in the top three is an extraordinary achievement.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Michael - So the short answer is no you couldn't find a weaker one either, at best one with iffy evaluations the same.

Last year's rwc team is stronger than the team playing against Ireland.
Gits played better than Hodge has this year especially recently.
TPN is better than Latu who has little test experience and TPN was playing very well last year.
Moore last year better than the Moore this year.
Kuridrani this year better than last year though.
Holmes better than AAA.

That said last year they played above themselves.

The short answer is that I think I could find a fair few, but I can't be bothered to trawl through dozens of lineups. On the other hand, you think you couldn't find a weaker team, but I'm assuming that you also can't be bothered to look and that you haven't looked through every Wallaby XV fielded since 1996.

I will give you one Google however, and here it is:

Australia vs. New Zealand, 2010:

15. Beale
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Fainga'a
11. Mitchell
10. Giteau
9. Genia
8. Brown
7. Pocock
6. Elsom
5. Sharpe
4. Mumm
3. Ma'afu
2. Fainga'a
1. Robinson

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Shepherd
23. (not fielded at this stage).

Whilst these comparisons are ridiculous due a multitude of reasons, I think we would smoke this team. Regardless, I will leave it here as I can't be bothered to do the required work to prove you entirely wrong and you can't be bothered to do the required work to prove yourself entirely right.

I also think we'd beat the Australian teams we fielded against the British and Irish Lions in 2013 (JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, debuting Lealifano at 12, somewhat out of form Ioane, Ben Robinson, Alexander getting bent over by the BIL scrum, a Douglas who hadn't hit his straps, an out of form Horwill, Berrick fucking Barnes, an old George Smith at stages, a severely injured Mowen and an aging and out of form Palu etc).

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The short answer is that I think I could find a fair few, but I can't be bothered to trawl through dozens of lineups. On the other hand, you think you couldn't find a weaker team, but I'm assuming that you also can't be bothered to look and that you haven't looked through every Wallaby XV fielded since 1996.

I will give you one Google however, and here it is:

Australia vs. New Zealand, 2010:

15. Beale
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Fainga'a
11. Mitchell
10. Giteau
9. Genia
8. Brown
7. Pocock
6. Elsom
5. Sharpe
4. Mumm
3. Ma'afu
2. Fainga'a
1. Robinson

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Shepherd
23. (not fielded at this stage).

Whilst these comparisons are ridiculous due a multitude of reasons, I think we would smoke this team. Regardless, I will leave it here as I can't be bothered to do the required work to prove you entirely wrong and you can't be bothered to do the required work to prove yourself entirely right.

I also think we'd beat the Australian teams we fielded against the British and Irish Lions in 2013 (JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, debuting Lealifano at 12, somewhat out of form Ioane, Ben Robinson, Alexander getting bent over by the BIL scrum, a Douglas who hadn't hit his straps, an out of form Horwill, Berrick fucking Barnes, an old George Smith at stages, a severely injured Mowen and an aging and out of form Palu etc).

Which Aus vs NZ test in 2010?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure. Greg Growden wrote an article in the SMH and listed the team, noting it would play "in the upcoming Bledisloe test" on August 6 2010.

I think Torp is baiting you because the Wallabies beat the All Blacks in Hong Kong in 2010 so he was hoping that was that side. But no, that was this team:

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (c) (Brumbies)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Mark Chisholm (Brumbies)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Saia Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
19. Richard Brown (Western Force)
20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
22. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Torp is baiting you because the Wallabies beat the All Blacks in Hong Kong in 2010 so he was hoping that was that side. But no, that was this team:

No I was actually being genuine - I didn't know which Bled test in 2010 it was

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No I was actually being genuine - I didn't know which Bled test in 2010 it was

Oh Ok. And I thought afterwards that saying you were 'hoping' it was the side was a bit strong. I meant you were 'thinking' it might have been the side :)

The team Michael posted is pretty shite though. However we must have had an injury plague for Bled 2 that year going by the Honkers line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.