• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Has a Wallaby scrum gone backwards with Fardy at lock? I can only remember him playing there through injury/card issues, so that can be put down to a systems failure.

The Brumbies scrum always went well with him there.

Re: Card issues - in a Bledisloe, Simmons got a card for- well it doesn't matter; it was stupid and unnecessary. Fardy went from 6 to lock.

We went from physical parity (with even a little ascendancy) to being utterly demolished at the next scrum.

That isn't a system failure, that is a player who isn't able to play second row.

End of.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
We need to create a ARU funded organization dedicated to the production of second rowers and fly halves. I'm thinking a campaign to legalize corporate adoption of Children.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
That isn't a system failure, that is a player who isn't able to play second row.

End of.
That's silly, that's not 'end of'. You teach a player to do X in a game and he has to do Y due to circumstance, in a Bledisloe. He's going to fuck up due to unpreparedness and unfamiliarity. Watch any 2 separate teams scrum and watch what their locks do. It's very different.

There's not doubt what you've said is a data point, but for reasons discussed it's not a conclusive one.

I actually think this over-simplistic thinking can be pretty damaging and can prevent grow. I'm not even saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's inconclusive and there's merit to an experiment. Particularly as Fardy slows down and Mumm/Simmons arguably underperform.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do yourself a favour Tex , if you have foxtel watch the Aviva championship, there some good rugby played over there.

Plus, it's an excellent bench.

England Replacements:
16 Jamie George - The country's form hooker. Only issue is the starter is captain.
17 Joe Marler - Was the staring LH, isn't now because he was a fluffybunny but it doesn't make him a worse player.
18 Kyle Sinckler - Good potential, similar situation as our AA (young, athletic, high potential but a bit green).
19 Charlie Ewels - They've had a lot of lock injuries so he's very green.
20 Teimana Harrison - Very talented in Aviva but hasn't had a good test yet. Started the 3rd test over here but got subbed off real fast.
21 Danny Care - Often starts and could start now. It's a line ball.
22 Ben Te’o - I'm sure you know him from Origin and the Broncos. Good footballer.
23 Henry Slade - Blood good player. Has copped a couple of starts for country and destroys the Aviva.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Marler IS a terrible player at his main job: scrums. He has been repeatedly found in, in between periods of refs letting England d what they want at scrum time because of some kind of belief system (akin to religious fervour) over facts.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He's going to fuck up due to unpreparedness and unfamiliarity.

Despite being good there for the Brumbies, right? I mean - preparedness and familiarity.

OR it might just mean the difference between Super Rugby and Test Rugby is somewhat pronounced.

Fuck - there I go with the truth again.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Despite being good there for the Brumbies, right? I mean - preparedness and familiarity.

OR it might just mean the difference between Super Rugby and Test Rugby is somewhat pronounced.

Calm down

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Don't be that guy mate, there's a lot of ways to talk over a difference in footy opinions and you're choosing a bad one. And, like I said, you're not wrong, it's just inconclusive.

To repeat what I said before, watch two different team's locks scrum, or even two different sets of locks/props. There's a lot to work on. He wouldn't have had an opportunity to work on any of that.

I'm sure you can appreciate that if you've played of coached a tight 5, and if you haven't then maybe that's a conversation point in itself.
Marler IS a terrible player at his main job: scrums. He has been repeatedly found in, in between periods of refs letting England d what they want at scrum time because of some kind of belief system (akin to religious fervour) over facts.
If he gets away with scrumming on an angle - is he actually a terrible player? It's fair to say he's a terrible bloke.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not familiar with English domestic rugby but the pommy bench doesn't look too flash either.

You're making the same mistake that those who think that English rugby is still run by gin swilling old farts.

The Aviva Premiership is high quality. Plenty of ball in hand rugby - not the dour 10 man rugby that many might still associate with English rugby.

Their administration is professional and is in the process of investing millions of pounds in the grass roots as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To repeat what I said before, watch two different team's locks scrum, or even two different sets of locks/props. There's a lot to work on. He wouldn't have had an opportunity to work on any of that.

Then that is shit preparation by the coach. Its Test rugby, not park footy.

I've played in, coached, and anlaysed enough scrums to understand when someone is not good for a particular role. Fardy is a great blindside. He's not a lock cover at the top tier.

Mumm is not a great blindside. But he can cover lock.

It is that simple.

BTW: don't be "that guy" who tells other people how to act on the internet. If the mods have a problem, they'll tell me.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
You're making the same mistake that those who think that English rugby is still run by gin swilling old farts.

The Aviva Premiership is high quality. Plenty of ball in hand rugby - not the dour 10 man rugby that many might still associate with English rugby.

Their administration is professional and is in the process of investing millions of pounds in the grass roots as well.
Yeah it's not a case of studied ignorance, more time zones and no cable TV. They've been the sleeping giant for so long, it's about time they sorted their shit out.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Then that is shit preparation by the coach. Its Test rugby, not park footy.

I've played in, coached, and anlaysed enough scrums to understand when someone is not good for a particular role. Fardy is a great blindside. He's not a lock cover at the top tier.

Mumm is not a great blindside. But he can cover lock.

It is that simple.

BTW: don't be "that guy" who tells other people how to act on the internet. If the mods have a problem, they'll tell me.

Well, then we both fall into similar categories in the analysis/experience departments.

What test coach, with the depth of focus on minute details going into each role/position, invests time in teaching his blindside to play lock?

Your argument is based on a lot of assumptions, opinions, and apparently a fantastic 6th sense for coaching hypotheticals. All I'm saying is with experimentation we'd actually know.

BTW - I'm not the only one remarking on your behaviour.

If you have a problem with a poster, report the post, don't get into arguments citing what other poster think - FP in Mod mode

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah it's not a case of studied ignorance, more time zones and no cable TV. They've been the sleeping giant for so long, it's about time they sorted their shit out.

They've been hampered, in a way, by their local competition. They've the biggest fish in the pond, except the French fish that occasionally turns into a thresher shark, but these days is mostly too busy feeding foreign fish to get in shape.

A lot of clubs were playing in mud puddles in the English winter, too. The advent of modern pitches with artificial blending, and excellent drainage, have helped that a lot.

The problem they've had, similar to us, is getting enough talent to show itself when club rugby places all its emphasis on winning. Club versus country debate is huge over there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What test coach, with the depth of focus on minute details going into each role/position, invests time in teaching his blindside to play lock?

One that wants to keep his job.

One that understands things go wrong in Test matches, and that having a contingency is a smart move.

One that delegates that task to a suitable coaching team member so they can concentrate on the larger things.

EDITED to remove controversy ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He's also one of the few people you can claim to have a substantially better haircut than!

P.S. Love you Pfitzy.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)

His problem was that he hasn't had Johnny May pushing him. Check out the power England can call on:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Arnold? Wow, thats tough.

Yeah, what we don't know is how he his body (and mind) is handling the physicality of test match rugby. This is a long series of week on week test matches

Our resident bean-counter has listed Arnold's sequence of matches played leading into injuries and has come up with a quotient of something like 5.384. Apparently Rory's been quite consistent breaking down after reaching his quota of matches, maybe the Wallaby coaching staff have found Bh's spreadsheet and decided to rest him.

Oh, and Braveheart also got Arnold a decent tax refund..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.