• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree re: interwebs numbers, but he's still in the ballpark.

Has a Wallaby scrum gone backwards with Fardy at lock? I can only remember him playing there through injury/card issues, so that can be put down to a systems failure.

The Brumbies scrum always went well with him there.

I have to disagree amirite. Fardy just isn't a second rower at either test or Super Rugby level. He shouldbe in the No 6 spot against England, wotking in concert with Pocock in the open.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's also one of the few people you can claim to have a substantially better haircut than!

P.S. Love you Pfitzy.

That's an ugly mug. Will be interesting to see him match up with Robertson late in the piece. I reckon Cheika will keep the staring back row on as long as possible in this one.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
These are the issues the Wallabies will have to overcome to beat the Poms.

1. A reported 30kg deficit in the scrum;
2. An opposition front row with questionable scrummaging technique;
3. A bench front row that looks to be several levels below the starting trio;
4. A questionable line out. Douglas not a reknowned jumper and Timani still looking to develop in the lineout;
5. The Pooper having poor contribution to scrum and lineout;
6 No Will Genia;
7. More disruption to the backline defensive patterns with introduction of Naivalu;
8. Lower quality players on the bench and coaches' apparent reluctance to use the bench productively.

Will the Wallabies be able to cope? Dunno, but if not, this could well end up being one of the biggest losing margins of the year.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Personally I think Phipps starting (even though a Tah:) ) is an added bonus for the team.

The bloke is a real team man (and others in the team are not) and brings immense enthusiasm onto the paddock. He may do a shitty thing or 2 but so does Genia.. He just seems to love playing rugby.

Really scrubber? Last biscuit left in the tin I think. The guy is not a long term option. Gets caught out on being too slow to breakdown (couple of times a game) and wrong options often. Need some new blood here....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And now Timani is starting against a stronger lineout.
So is that an admission by Cheika he f@#ked up the team selection against Ireland..

These types of comments always make the assumption that the player you would have chosen would have done a better job than the one you wouldn't have. You can say it with some conviction after the event in this instance because Mumm didn't shower himself in glory last start, and maybe Timani wouldn't have gotten a yellow card, but maybe we would have lost 3 lineouts. It's also making the assumption that Timani was fit and available, I'm making the assumption that he wasn't.

For the record the England lineout isn't superior to the Ireland one. They have more mongrel though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For the record the England lineout isn't superior to the Ireland one. They have more mongrel though.

I'd rate the English line out out highly with Itoje but must agree with your assessment as they stack up this weekend. So we opt for a back three with better mongrel than jump.

I dont have a problem with it. But that doesnt make me a tad anxious about it. Happy to see Mumm on the pine (would have also settled for Fardy.)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Really scrubber? Last biscuit left in the tin I think. The guy is not a long term option. Gets caught out on being too slow to breakdown (couple of times a game) and wrong options often. Need some new blood here..

He is faster to the base and to clear the ball which speeds our play up. Sometimes thats not great because our offensive line is not set and he can push the play into an error. On the other hand, in order to catch the English defense out we are going to need to play very fast at times.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Will the Wallabies be able to cope? Dunno, but if not, this could well end up being one of the biggest losing margins of the year.

Mmmmmm. On the one hand, maybe. On the other, maybe not.

We are playing for sheep stations, they are playing for their fourth win against us this year, which means very little in the scheme of things.

If our team does not go out and draw blood, figuratively speaking, we had better find a new team.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He is faster to the base and to clear the ball which speeds our play up. Sometimes thats not great because our offensive line is not set and he can push the play into an error. On the other hand, in order to catch the English defense out we are going to need to play very fast at times.

Fast play sounds like the game plan to me. Mobile back row and mobile forward reserves. All comes down to the effectiveness of the clean out though!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Douglas not a reknowned jumper

Prithee, o steed of Canberra, what deeds must he achieve in order to win such renown?

Clean the stables of King Augeus?
Slay the Lernean Hydra?
Wear the skin of the Nemean Lion?
Or, failing that, a Brumbies jumper? ;)

He's over 2m and can be lifted. He has taken lineouts. Is there something about lifting a 2m bloke in this case that is different to e.g. Arnold or Simmons?

I mean, let's face it: Simmons has long been touted as a lineout general, and there is less to support this myth than any of the Herculean tasks I posted above.

They'll both do fine.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Really scrubber? Last biscuit left in the tin I think. The guy is not a long term option. Gets caught out on being too slow to breakdown (couple of times a game) and wrong options often. Need some new blood here..

This is a weird comment. Phipps basically only advantage over Genia is hes faster to the breakdown and faster to get a pass away. Genia is better in all other areas.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
These types of comments always make the assumption that the player you would have chosen would have done a better job than the one you wouldn't have. You can say it with some conviction after the event in this instance because Mumm didn't shower himself in glory last start, and maybe Timani wouldn't have gotten a yellow card, but maybe we would have lost 3 lineouts. It's also making the assumption that Timani was fit and available, I'm making the assumption that he wasn't.

Fair enough.
But a number of us did make the call before the game so it's not just with the benefit of hindsight.
And the Irish lineout was weakened by injury. I think the English one this weekend is stronger and will give us more trouble.
Particularly with 3 no 7s in the lineup (which I think is a bigger weakness that an 8 who has impact but is only an average jumper)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Fair enough.
But a number of us did make the call before the game so it's not just with the benefit of hindsight.
And the Irish lineout was weakened by injury. I think the English one this weekend is stronger and will give us more trouble.
Particularly with 3 no 7s in the lineup (which I think is a bigger weakness that an 8 who has impact but is only an average jumper)

Yeah that's all true and all things being equal I also would prefer Timani in the lineup to Mumm every game. I'm just making an inference that because he sat out the France game and also the Ireland game after being the starting 8 for the first two games and is now again, that perhaps he wasn't actually dropped. He may have had a niggle or even maybe they just decided he was stuffed and needed a freshen up (after all 9 runs for 6m v Scotland was hardly the performance you want from your line bending #8).

Anyway, I'm overall happy with this side. I think McMahon is there for injury cover only to Hooper or Pocock, and although there are some circumstances that would see the 3 of them on the field at the one time I think it's unlikely except for maybe a few minutes at the end.

Wallabies by 8.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Or, failing that, a Brumbies jumper? ;)

I mean, let's face it: Simmons has long been touted as a lineout general, and there is less to support this myth....... blah blah blah.

IMG_4933.JPG

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
This is a weird comment. Phipps basically only advantage over Genia is hes faster to the breakdown and faster to get a pass away. Genia is better in all other areas.

Well go back over the last 3-4 games he's started and count how many times there were turnovers at our ruck because "he's so fast" and not there. That's one of the reasons why Genia's there in the first place, oh and not as many wrong options as well

Status
Not open for further replies.