• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Walsh & Blair Cup & Romano's Cup. Bit early to predict McCullen at this stage. Will depend on numbers.

Have they got a coach yet ?
Word was they were hoping Paul Hood would take on the role
They were pretty ordinary this year and would need a big turnaround
Good Luck to them

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
CSU will be playing finals footy next year.

I just broke a rib laughing mate!
Numbers? If they don't get into the student population, they're as good as dead. At this stage, they don't even rate a mention in the student body. Aggies will have 100+ on the books in 2017, whereas CSU will be in the turvey tavern Friday night looking to round up enough players for 1st grade. A sad reality for a once proud team that lived and breathed student and university culture, which had a genuinely competitive rivalry with Aggies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting article in the DA yesterday Re; Southern Inland AGM last Sunday
Article makes out the vote for Presidency was tight but my sources say it was otherwise.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting article in the DA yesterday Re; Southern Inland AGM last Sunday
Article makes out the vote for Presidency was tight but my sources say it was otherwise.

Either your sources are making things up or were the ones counting the votes as the count was not made public at the meeting...

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
See that the SIRU Juniors Clubs have voted to go Evens Age Groups next year- I wonder what the big reason is for the change ?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
No doubt there is logic behind the u16's. I assume the continuity between juniors and teenagers has taken priority. However it does create a big gap between juniors and seniors. The danger arises when u17's start playing senior rugby as their next step. At the moment the competition does everything it can do to protect youngsters coming through. The referees are cognizant, the coaches are aware, SIRU requires under 18's to be signed off by a Level 2 coach.

However, the problem arises when 2 clubs with different goals meet. This year the Steamers were using a surfeit of younger under age players particularly in 3rd Grade and then later on in 2nd Grade. Earlier in the year there were games (one very competitive club in particular) where our 3rd Grade (with young guys and old boys) played a 3rd grade chock full with 1st Grade players, who didn't train so much and had to come up through the grades. Now both clubs are well within their rights to approach a game like this as they see fit, but unless SIRU considers a way to use 3rd grade as a stepping stone, I fear firstly we will lose those juniors who won't see any benefit in getting bashed around and secondly there could be some serious injury.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
I hear what you are saying & this will probably get taken the wrong way but here goes......

The lower the grade you play the greater the variance/disproportion you will have in your playing ranks especially if the above grades of your club are not running that well.This is not a fault of the opposition or the zone. The issue lays within the club. The McMullen Cup already operates with U19 laws so what other laws could be used ?. It is the prerogative of the player & the club to nominate what grade the player is to play in and not the zone.

One of the reasons 3rd grade / McMullen cup was originally dissolved at the end of 2004 because the zone needed to have a physical time slot for U16's & 18's. In about 2007 the U16's & 18's was dissolved and replaced by U17's and a time slot reemerged. The "new comp" originally was Tahs Aggies Reddies Army Boiled Lollies and I think RAAF with a few of those games being played on Friday nights.

Now with the ceasation of U 17's the 3rds/ McMullen Cup has done a full cycle and returned to where it use to be in the 1980's as the starter point for the young or the finishing point for the olders , or, as the highest grade for the one grade clubs.

In other words it is the mixed bag it has always been and I believe there is no way to solve the disparity between clubs just as there is disparity in 1sts & 2nds between clubs.

I can't think of what else could be done to that grade.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree with your comments "Almost 2 old"
The quick fix is for the Juniors & Seniors clubs to work together and get a strong 16s or 17s up and running
3rds was reborn many years ago with Wagga Clubs wanting it - It fell over before that because 'away' teams weren't fulfilling their committment
There is No perfect World out there for this kind of predicament

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
have all the coaches for 2017 being confirmed yet - from what I'nve heard Albury have a new coach - Sims, McCarthy coaching Aggies,, McLeod coaching Waratahs, Vunibaka takes over from Rogo at Leeton and Honeyman backs up for City
So who is coaching Tumut (Dowsett this year), Griffith (The Welsh fellow this year ) and CSU (Spain this year) in 2017

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
have all the coaches for 2017 being confirmed yet - from what I'nve heard Albury have a new coach - Sims, McCarthy coaching Aggies,, McLeod coaching Waratahs, Vunibaka takes over from Rogo at Leeton and Honeyman backs up for City
So who is coaching Tumut (Dowsett this year), Griffith (The Welsh fellow this year ) and CSU (Spain this year) in 2017

Not sure about Tumut but have heard that CSU are still in the hunt, also Griffith. I think you'll see a change at the Steamers also due to work commitments. Expect a back to the future approach on the border with an accomplished coach coming back on board.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tino was a very creative player for the Bulls and their attack will suffer from his departure
I got the impression he played wounded in 2016 and 2014 & 2015 were definitely his best years for the Bulls
Depending on which Club he goes to in Canberra he will struggle to make 1st Grade over there as Dan Selmes (Wagga Waratahs) found out several years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.