• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the choice of the 4th bowler comes down to who they think can tie up an end better and for the first test that will be between SOK and Bird.

SOK has been withdrawn from the Big Bash to play red ball cricket and Lyon finished the domestic test Summer strongly.

I think the chances of Agar or Swepson playing the first test are at huge odds.

I think the selectors will have a large serve of egg on their collective faces before this tour is done and dusted.

Apologies if you named them a few pages ago, but which additional spinner would you have included and who would they have been instead of? I'm assuming instead of Agar.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There are probably two scenarios:
1. A spin bowling allrounder at 6. If the rumours about Maxwell are true it will be 3 fast bowlers and Lyon with Maxwell playing 6. Only other option is Agar.
2. 2 spinners with 2 fast bowlers, seamer allrounder ie. M Marsh. Lyon and SOK will be first spinners chosen. Depending on how they perform together it will last one or two tests at which point if things aren't working. Swepson provides something different or you revert to secenario 1 if M Marsh isn't going well.

I think scenario 1 is most likely and Maxwell will start at 6. He is at least as good a batsmen as any of the allrounders tried recently and can bowl well. Bird's contribution and consistency will be important.

Only other position to debate is to open with S Marsh or Renshaw. Really hope they go with Renshaw.

Khwaja being rested from the ODI squad to NZ indicates to me he is a lock (and rightfully so) at number 3 and they want him ready with as much time in the conditions as possilbe.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Apologies if you named them a few pages ago, but which additional spinner would you have included and who would they have been instead of? I'm assuming instead of Agar.

BH that is certainly a hard question, but my main point is that our spinners are an underwhelming lot who are unlikely to provide much of a challenge to the Indian batsmen, who are among the world's best at playing spin, particularly of the mediocre kind.

Unfortunately, until either or both of Cummins and Pattinson prove their fitness for five day cricket, the cupboard is a bit bare, but taking at least one more bowler of some pace and accuracy would imo be a better attack than going in with three or four spinning options. A few have been tried through the recent test calendar, and Stoinis is now around the squad. Maybe Abbott who has a bit of pace and can use the bat as well?

I am not convinced yet by M Marsh with the bat. I surely hope one day soon he will fulfil his promise, but time is getting away a bit on him. For that reason, I'd have preferred either Cartwright or Faulkner to have taken that spot.

I have visions of Starc, Hazelwood and Bird bowling the bulk of the overs in all tests if we are looking for wickets. I'd rather have one or two backups for them to help out in a crisis which is on the cards if that trio are over-bowled than to have the excess of spinners that have been taken. And it's really disingenuous to suggest another pace bowler can be brought in quickly. Exactly the same argument can be directed to the batters and the spinners, but it is significantly more likely that the pace attack will suffer from the conditions than the other categories.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Cartwright looked much more comfortable with the bat but the rumour is that Steve Smith was not impressed with Cartwright's bowling once he spent a bit of time with the test squad this summer. Didn't think it was up to test level

His first class stats 15 wickets from 17 matches @ 43, e/r of 3.8 and pace (~125km/h) suggest he's going to be a ways of getting another test cap.

Faulkner is a fair shout, and John Holland was probably close as well.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Have we answered the question yet whether this is the dumbest Aus cricket side ever?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Surely the odds on Maxwell at 6 are shortening now. While most of us would like to see what he can offer now, keeping him away from Indian analysis is probably a smart plan. I'd be surprised if he wasn't bowling with a red ball in the nets.

Agree with all above that Faulkner should be on the plane.

I think our XI for Pune will be: Warner, Renshaw, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Maxwell, Wade, Starc, SOK, Hazlewood, Lyon.

Bird will be rested for later in the series.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Surely the odds on Maxwell at 6 are shortening now. While most of us would like to see what he can offer now, keeping him away from Indian analysis is probably a smart plan. I'd be surprised if he wasn't bowling with a red ball in the nets.

Agree with all above that Faulkner should be on the plane.

I think our XI for Pune will be: Warner, Renshaw, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Maxwell, Wade, Starc, SOK, Hazlewood, Lyon.

Bird will be rested for later in the series.

Shouldn't Wade be batting above Maxwell ;)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wade announced as ODI captain for the tour of NZ.

Not really surprised given there weren't too many other options but slightly disappointed as I think he needs to focus on his work with the gloves.

Personally I'd have gone for Finch but there's probably an argument that he needs to focus on his batting first and foremost.

Should be a good series, hopefully our big quicks make it through injury-free.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match 1 @ Auckland Mon 30 Jan
Match 2 @ Napier Thu 2 Feb
Match 3 @ Hamilton Sun 5 Feb

Seems odd to be playing Match 1 on a local holiday (Auckland Provincial Anniversary, more-or-less top half of North Island) but not Match 3 on the National holiday (Waitangi Day) that falls the following Monday. It's not like there'll be many people rushing back from the Wellywood 7's to be at Eden Park for the ODI. You might, though, pick up some punters heading home from the Auckland Nines (Feb 4 & 5) on Waitangi Day as it's only ~90 mins down the road.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
With absolutely no disrespect intended to our Kiwi cousins, but WTF are we doing in NZ when there is a big tour of India coming up? We already have an overloaded calendar and this just compounds it and it's not like we didn't play the Black Caps earlier in the season anyway.

Anyway...

How 'bout them Scorchers. Did it easy in the end. I almost wasn't bothered about the final after dusting the Stars in the semi, but this is very satisfying. The most underrated playing group in the comp, heaps of blokes out and they still got the job done. JL is a genius.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With absolutely no disrespect intended to our Kiwi cousins, but WTF are we doing in NZ when there is a big tour of India coming up? We already have an overloaded calendar and this just compounds it and it's not like we didn't play the Black Caps earlier in the season anyway.

By putting Warner & Smith on the injured list & picking some kid who hasn't played domestic one day cricket yet, I'd say the Strayan selectors are agreeing with you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely this tour is a quid pro quo for the test series so NZ Cricket can generate some revenue.

Warner isn't on the injured list is he? It was announced he was being rested prior to Smith's injury.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH that is certainly a hard question, but my main point is that our spinners are an underwhelming lot who are unlikely to provide much of a challenge to the Indian batsmen, who are among the world's best at playing spin, particularly of the mediocre kind.

Unfortunately, until either or both of Cummins and Pattinson prove their fitness for five day cricket, the cupboard is a bit bare, but taking at least one more bowler of some pace and accuracy would imo be a better attack than going in with three or four spinning options. A few have been tried through the recent test calendar, and Stoinis is now around the squad. Maybe Abbott who has a bit of pace and can use the bat as well?

Am I allowed to reference my own post? A new star is born. Best with ball and best with bat.

Hazelwood dismissed without facing a ball and after being part of a 50 run partnership. Amazing stuff.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just watching the highlights of the NZ innings, great sportsmanship from Hazlewood not claiming the catch on the boundary. NZ would probably have reviewed it had it been given but good on him for doing the right thing.

Really looking forward to watching the Stoinis innings, sounds like it was one for the ages.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Had he got them home it would have been the greatest ODI innings I have ever seen.

It was a disappointing end but to be fair we had no business even getting close to that total after 5/50odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.