• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm pretty sure you'll see John Downes from this year's 15A's playing 6 for MCA next year.

In 2016 Downes won the Australian U15 weightlifting title (national record of 130kg in the clean and jerk), won the State shot put title and played in the Qld U15 rugby team, so not a bad trifecta.

This bloke is 90kg of lean muscle who also runs 12s flat for the 100m, probably one of the best all-round athletes Ashgrove has ever seen. He'll be pretty scary by the time he gets to Year 12 but more than handy next year.

And no, I'm not related..

Did he play against the Lauries 15's last year Galloper as I did not see any stand outs from in that game.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
What Brisbane JGC Team did he play for ? Blue or Gold ? I'm pretty sure he wasn't White

No idea, I only know he was in the Qld squad/team as per the Reds website.

I've probably gone out on a limb here with Downes, as whilst I've seen plenty of him running and throwing I've never actually seen him play rugby. However, I do know that MCA coach likes him, which is one of the reasons I've predicted him to play First XV next year.

It's possible that John might not be a great footballer, but he certainly has more physical tools than any non-Polynesian 15yo I can remember, and I know that I wouldn't want him running off the back of a scrum at me at 15/16.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting .

I reckon the Gold Pack got towelled that day. Especially in the lineout where they were supposed to have a massive advantage . Ipswich's Connor O'Reilly outgunned by several inches in the lineout was sensational.

BT made some man style yards on the ball carry but was MIA in defense and at the breakdown along with a few other gold forwards.

Having said that ....Gold's defense was dogged ( not dominant ) but the real difference ( outside of the Ref handing the game to Gold with 2 x disallowed tries ) were Gold's Centres / Outside Backs ( Robbins and Maritz I think )

Ipswich's Centres also punctured the lines plenty ....but the above 2 lads executed at critical moments in what was a ding dong battle.

Not dissing JD ....just really wasn't that noticeable

Having said that .....he sounds like a helluva prospect where big things are expected of him moving forward and definitely one for the watch list

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting to hear former Sunnybank and Brisbane City NRC coach Rod Seib will be taking the reigns of the QLD 1 schoolboys team with veteran coach Mick Crank to assist. Seib is an outstanding operator who accepts nothing short of quality. Any early predictions on AIC qld prospects? Marist, Pats and Padua would probably have a few contenders

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Interesting to hear former Sunnybank and Brisbane City NRC coach Rod Seib will be taking the reigns of the QLD 1 schoolboys team with veteran coach Mick Crank to assist. Seib is an outstanding operator who accepts nothing short of quality. Any early predictions on AIC qld prospects? Marist, Pats and Padua would probably have a few contenders

Hi Dunc As much as I would like to believe you I would suggest that this team will have a high level of Ippy Grammar boys and State High Boys who surprisingly will play for Sunnybank next year. The boys from outside this group will not be club affiliated and will be being recruited for this team. You may think this is cynical but having watched the nepotism and stupidity of the BJRU and school rep teams over the past five years I hold out very little hope for a different result.

I hope I am wrong but I bet I am not.

David0903

Frank Row (1)
Ashgrove are training hard with a very strong squad for next year. A number of returning players in key positions from this year's first side. Adding to this is a stack of talent from the under 16 side that has been undefeated for two years. There will also be some quality players from this year's under 15 squad also pushing for selection. Dave Miles is the head coach and will bring a lot to the squad. These boys will be extremely fit. I am biased but they will be the front runners for the title.

Laurie's have a very talented side as well and the game with Ashgrove will be a war. Iona and St Patrick's will have a stack of under 16 players in their sides and will be right up there. I can see them being the front runners in 2018. Padua will fall off a little bit this year and I can't see them being as strong as the previous two years. I am unsure as to how many returning players St Peter's have for next year, it also depends on who rocks up to the school on scholarship, can never be underestimated. Their under 16 side from 2016 will not provide much if this year's results are to be taken into account.

St Edmunds will struggle again this year as will Villanova. They will battle it out for the wooden spoon in my opinion. Should be a very competitive season.

Don't be so soon to count St Edmunds out of the competition. The u15A side from 2015 finished second on the ladder. The boys fell down last season in u16A because their A side was mostly made up of their c's and b's because the majority of the team had been put in first xv. Half of the forward pack was 16 year olds for the firsts xv this year and the boys held their own in scrum time, dominating alot. I hear all this talk about the St lauries and Ashgrove game going to be an all out war. Which is funny considering St Edmunds u15A defeated lauries u15a side 17-14 in 2015.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Well, that puts Eddies on the radar - thanks David! Those young fellas playing in the First XV will most likely benefit from the experience or be scarred by the step up! Hope it's the former and they are a strong competitive side. The AIC comp needs it. Good luck to them!!

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
There's now reasons to like Padua, Iona, Lauries, Eddies, Ashgrove and Villa. But St. Peters can be a surprise packet and who will write off the rugby culture at St. Pats? The big guns will want to be on their toes each week.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm not sure where the rumours of "imports' at Ashgrove are coming from, almost certainly untrue.

Brendan Kiernan, who has coached GPS Prem Colts, will be assisting Dave Miles next year, so a brand new coaching team for 2107 who look like they will have plenty to work with without any late arrivals.

Hi Galloper

Happy new year. I just thought you would like to be made aware of the new boy who started at MCA today in grade 11. He is a really nice kid who just happens to have two brothers who play professional Rugby and is pretty good himself he played for Souths last year in the under 16's . He must have gotten an academic scholarship based on you previous post.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On an unrelated matter here's a recent post by Chris Kuridrani
d8f1af8a886f6dbd4e4898dd8ae02295.png

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi Galloper

Happy new year. I just thought you would like to be made aware of the new boy who started at MCA today in grade 11. He is a really nice kid who just happens to have two brothers who play professional Rugby and is pretty good himself he played for Souths last year in the under 16's . He must have gotten an academic scholarship based on you previous post.

It's news to me mate, but you obviously know more about how and why he came to MCA than I do.

Good luck to the boy, hopefully he does really well at the school in all facets.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
It's news to me mate, but you obviously know more about how and why he came to MCA than I do.

Good luck to the boy, hopefully he does really well at the school in all facets.

Just thinking about it Happyman, this boy would be a first cousin of Emosi Tuquir, who has boarded at Ashgrove since Year 8.

As you would know, those Fijiian family ties are very strong, so that's probably your answer right there.

It sounds like you've seen this boy play for Souths, do you think he'll be a First XV contender this year or next?

Stan Wickham (3)
With the school year starting again yesterday, whats everyones predictions for the upcoming season? What teams look hot and who dosnt?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
couple of new students started year 11 today at Iona, just happen to be state level leaguies. Please don't tell me he have another school playing this game :(

Status
Not open for further replies.