• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Anyone have any information on the date / venue of the Sydney Club 7s?
I thought it was going to co-incide with the Sydney 7s as per 2016 but, Dave, you said this was not the case. Any updates? Is it going to happen this year or was it a once-off?

I'll see what i can find out, it makes for a great day.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A little bit off the SS topic, but definately fasll under it for all clubs and this thread gets more traffic and contribution.

Junior Clubs / Grass Roots clubs and registration.
  • 4 years ago, we had pen, paper, and a petty cash tin and we could make a real day out of promoting it. As people paid we could hand out stuff and the young kids got a real kick out of it. Money went straight in the bank account.
  • Last 3 years it has been a complex online process with registration and early feedback at the moment is that it's confusing (took 10 go's, from one mum). Doing it all behind a computer takes away the community spirit that comes with Grass Roots rugby were the SS clubs can be involved in the days.
Have any junior clubs got this wired yet?
Is there a paper template or a process where parents can fill out a form, disclose all the required detail (Credit Card / Kids name / DOB / email address etc) and the club do it?

Randy_Parra2Blues

Frank Row (1)
Unfortunately there is no Shute Shield 7s competition this year. After last years massive success, this year they decided to have a womens comp instead, which is cool. But the mens idea for the week earlier - didnt eventuate.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I dont think any of the 2015 Stars squad joined the Ram, but the Rams improved their points differential from -121 in 2015 to just -2 in 2016, overall a much more competitive team despite only winning 2 games.

Definitely Skelton and IIRC Toleafoa as well.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
He never said the consolidation had no impact, but the extra 2 weeks preparation surely had an impact across all 3 teams, i believe i made similar comments prior to the NRC 2016 season on that very issue.

NSW Country were obvious beneficiaries of the Stars amalgamation, finishing first on the ladder in 2016.

Harry Jones was the only player from the Stars 2015 squad who joined the Rays in 2016, yet they improved their ladder position from 6th to 2nd.

I dont think any of the 2015 Stars squad joined the Ram, but the Rams improved their points differential from -121 in 2015 to just -2 in 2016, overall a much more competitive team despite only winning 2 games.

What about Darren Colemans whinge about the draw for next year? Can't believe he would start making excuses for Warringah already....I reckon they have a great roster of players and will do well despite their Coach.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
As I said there is not a CC kid playing SS. There may be plenty of lower grade kids or colts, but not one in Shute Shield. Lots of kids playing at Sydney clubs not Shute Shiels

I stand by my statement, and have first hand knowledge of at least two CC kids who have played first grade SS during last season.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about Darren Colemans whinge about the draw for next year? Can't believe he would start making excuses for Warringah already..I reckon they have a great roster of players and will do well despite their Coach.
It's one of the coach's dilemmas - do you make an early grab at underdog status while blaming the unfairness of everything (hopefully instilling a "fight for justice" mentality in your team) or do you talk your team up (hopefully boosting their confidence)?

Or do you just not comment publicly?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
It's one of the coach's dilemmas - do you make an early grab at underdog status while blaming the unfairness of everything (hopefully instilling a "fight for justice" mentality in your team) or do you talk your team up (hopefully boosting their confidence)?

Or do you just not comment publicly?

Praise in Public, criticise in private

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Lunch 2017.jpg

T

TOCC

I struggle to understand how shifting the season to later in the year is going to inject $50k-$100k more into the clubs annual revenue..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I struggle to understand how shifting the season to later in the year is going to inject $50k-$100k more into the clubs annual revenue..

I'm happy for the Shute to build its revenue base. It's what I have been advocating for some time but I like yourself am a little confused how moving the competition back a fortnight would lead to those extra funds.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

It's a no brainer that people are more interested in watching winter sports in winter rather than in March when we're still likely to have beach weather. Finishing the comp for the teams who don't make the playoffs in mid-July is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.