• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let's get a bit crazy and predict the ladder this year. It's way too early, but that's the fun.

1. Harlequin - No explanation required. They've got good people (coach & player) and will no doubt attract more who are ambitious to play NRC.
  2. Power House - Rumour has it they've signed EVERYONE. Good coaches and coming off a decent year (the first in a while) with some good born-and-bred talent.
  3. Melbourne - Same as above. Rumours of massive player turnover but lots of new talent and consistent coaches.
  4. Moorabbin - They've got all of the excellent coaches and players they've got last year (minus Pat Toeta) and a year of playing together.
  5. Box Hill - Rumour has it they've lost some blokes, but the good people there will keep them mid-table.
  6. Endeavour Hills - Apparently they've got a heap of new Fijian talent and lost nobody. Still, without the surprise element of last year I can't see them doing better than mid-table.
  7. Melbourne University - Coaching question marks, but I hear they've got their shit more together than years past.
  8. Footscray - Better than last year coaching wise but haven't heard any player details. Could surprise, though.
  9. Southern Districts - These guys are in trouble. Hopefully, they prove me wrong.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Let's get a bit crazy and predict the ladder this year. It's way too early, but that's the fun.

1. Harlequin - No explanation required. They've got good people (coach & player) and will no doubt attract more who are ambitious to play NRC.
  2. Power House - Rumour has it they've signed EVERYONE. Good coaches and coming off a decent year (the first in a while) with some good born-and-bred talent.
  3. Melbourne - Same as above. Rumours of massive player turnover but lots of new talent and consistent coaches.
  4. Moorabbin - They've got all of the excellent coaches and players they've got last year (minus Pat Toeta) and a year of playing together.
  5. Box Hill - Rumour has it they've lost some blokes, but the good people there will keep them mid-table.
  6. Endeavour Hills - Apparently they've got a heap of new Fijian talent and lost nobody. Still, without the surprise element of last year I can't see them doing better than mid-table.
  7. Melbourne University - Coaching question marks, but I hear they've got their shit more together than years past.
  8. Footscray - Better than last year coaching wise but haven't heard any player details. Could surprise, though.
  9. Southern Districts - These guys are in trouble. Hopefully, they prove me wrong.

Where's Pat Toeta gone?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
What's LH mean?

There you go. Well, he's a Dewar Shield winning coach so it's a good thing for Uni. Melbourne did have an embarrassment of riches at the time though.

I would be very worried if I was a club like EHills this year - the phone on this FB page suggests poor numbers. Would be a shame if they couldn't build on 2016.

It'd suggest if you're not getting 30 guys at this time of year as a Prems club, you're in a bit of strife.

LH = loosehead.

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
Footscray has posted trials up in their Facebook page.

Endeavour hills
Box hill
Kiwi hawthorn

Will give us a good indication of the make up of 4-7 on the ladder

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
I disagree rumours circulating that endeavour is poor his year as you have alluded and I have suggested they are on the up. If they touch up footscray then it will indicate they haven't go a backwards and are probably improving. But if footscray give it to them they are at least improving above the 9th position you have said. Box hill would also provide an extra litmus test for footscray. I think it could provide some real answers on three clubs that have are swirling around the middle of the pack with rumours circulating on their improvement and/or regression

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree rumours circulating that endeavour is poor his year as you have alluded and I have suggested they are on the up. If they touch up footscray then it will indicate they haven't go a backwards and are probably improving. But if footscray give it to them they are at least improving above the 9th position you have said. Box hill would also provide an extra litmus test for footscray. I think it could provide some real answers on three clubs that have are swirling around the middle of the pack with rumours circulating on their improvement and/or regression
I conceded to your greater knowledge in that department (re: EHills).

What I was discussing here is that there's too many secondary considerations for preseason results to matter, such as:
- Do they have handy players overseas until the start of the season?
- Do they have key players who're with the Rebels 20s until 2 weeks into the season? EHills do.
- How long has the squad been together? My experience is Quins and Melb have the ability to get their squads together early due to pressure for spots, but at the smaller clubs blokes don't float down until later in the preseason.

I remember in 2013 (I think) when BHill had their TERRIBLE season (maybe the worst in recent Prems history) they drew Melbourne and beat Moorabbin in pre-season.

Plus coaches do other weird shit in preseason like say 'no kicking' to work on the fundamentals and stuff like that. There's also tapering considerations if we want to get super technical.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Moorabbin Rugby Club are gearing up for a big year within the 2017 Dewar Shield Competition. The Club has begun their pre-season training under watchful eye of Head Coach Justin Carroll.
Last Year: 5th
Coaching Team: Head Coach – Justin Carroll, Assistant Coach – John Eden
Captain: Machon Samu
Overview with Justin Carroll:
“2016 was a great year of change for the Moorabbin Rams, the introduction of new playing systems and structures whilst taking some adjustment began to bear fruit towards seasons end.
The improvement from 7th to 5th place was evidence that the club is on the right path and in 2017 will continue to build on these foundations.
The club has such a long and successful history there is a collective approach and belief that we can return to those heady days.”
Key Areas of Improvement needed:
“A continued development of understanding tactical and technical approaches to the game will be a focus in 2017.
Our training ethic will be directed towards best practice at all times and second best will not be accepted.
On the back of the premiership winning colts team we know we have the talent coming through the club and competition for first grade spots in particular will only enhance our performance on field.
The club is determined to play finals in 2017.”
Players to watch for 2017:
“With the addition of New Zealand and Samoan representative players joining our club we will give added strength to our forward pack.

On the back of Melbourne Rising experience, the Noa brothers return will be a level of professionalism to everything that we do.
We are particularly excited about the prospects Oisin Clarken after representing Australia in the Junior 7s and Rebels U20s in 2017.”

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hearing rumours University have got it together, poaching Grey Coward as HC from Unicorns plus some handy players to go along with him. Apparently decent numbers and a good 20's program as well.

This is good because the initial word was not too good.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Any thoughts on Jarrod Dowie? He is at Gordon in Sydney this season.

Decent enough player, was always best on ground at Souths last year as they were struggling a lot and he directed them around well. Will be interesting to see how he goes at the higher pace and skill of SS if he makes the 1st grade side.

He was involved with the Rising for the 2-3 years they were here, at least in the WTS and made the squad a couple of years. Not sure if he played at all at that level though.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm updating my ladder predictions based on what I'm hearing from the clubs.

1. Harlequin - No explanation required, they're the moneymen.
  2. Power House - Keep hearing of more and more signings and rumours they've inherited Wydnham's key U18s players, who are bloody talented.
  3. Melbourne - Melbourne are Melbourne, consistent as can be.
  4. (up four) Footscray - I hear coach Tia is putting something special together here with good numbers. As per usual they may lack the structure, but the talent, heart, and skills will be there.
  5. (down one) Moorabbin - Same as Melbourne, a genuinely well run club.
  6. Endeavour Hills - Remains to be seen, but apparently, 20 new Fijians are down there from some 7s program.
  7. Melbourne University - New coach, good turnout, decent community players. Should do okay, but they need a better pathway and probably a couple of big signings to compete with Quins/Melbourne/House/Moorabbin.
  8. (down three) Box Hill - Apparently they have a depleted roster from new Visa laws and not a lot of new talent coming in.
  9. Southern Districts - Still hear nothing but bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.