• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
NSW have one less team then QLD but the NSWRU contribute nothing? Why have the NSWRU and Waratahs done anything to assist?

Additionally, if the SS clubs are contributing so much financially, wouldn't it be in their best interest to protect that investment, or are they no longer contributing financiall?

That's actually an interesting question. The original agreement was for three seasons.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
NSW have one less team then QLD but the NSWRU contribute nothing? it's funny how things seem to work in QLD but not in NSW.

Additionally, if the SS clubs are contributing so much financially, wouldn't it been in their interest to protect that investment, or are they no longer investing?

True, and QLD have 2 fewer Premier Teams than NSW.

As someone else has said there are so many bodies wanting there say under the ARU - some have valid points, some have shite points.

So if SS removed two teams the number of games may change - is that the right thing to do?

I have said above, i wish there was a 2 week gap, and i cant do anything about it. I just want to look forward to a cracking 2017 rugby season and hope we learn and improve.

T

TOCC

My understanding it was an initial investment to get it up and running.
Once the team was self sustained the money would be reimbursed.

So the SS clubs have been reimbursed this initial investment?

That would make sense as to why they aren't bothered about taking action which could compromise the value of the comp.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So the SS clubs have been reimbursed this initial investment?

That would make sense as to why they aren't bothered about taking action which could compromise the value of the comp.

The Rays haven't reimbursed theirs yet as far as I'm aware.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well at least the NRC isn't the only league that has trouble with uniform clashes.

AFL Womens between GWS and Freo. One team changed shorts at quarter time to help the situation.

C46VFnJUcAISuOq.jpg:large

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IMO

NRC is a lame duck, and an expensive one to boot.

I believe we need to support club rugby in this country. Money should be spent on ramping up Brisbane Prems and Shute Shield teams (and maybe some other areas like Perth, Melbourne and the Brums - whoever remains in Super Rugby)

The Talent guys need to obviously look at other areas within their franchise region for talented lads.

I appreciate the argument about lost opportunities for country players so maybe those talented country lads "identified"may need to travel to the big smoke to try and make it in professional rugby.

In years past that simplified system worked.

IF we had plenty of dosh then I'd go with a totally different scenario but we don't.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
IMO

I believe we need to support club rugby in this country. Money should be spent on ramping up Brisbane Prems and Shute Shield teams (and maybe some other areas like Perth, Melbourne and the Brums - whoever remains in Super Rugby)

The Talent guys need to obviously look at other areas within their franchise region for talented lads.

I appreciate the argument about lost opportunities for country players so maybe those talented country lads "identified"may need to travel to the big smoke to try and make it in professional rugby.

IF we had plenty of dosh then I'd go with a totally different scenario but we don't.

Scrubber - you serious????

That is to simple it may just work;)

The only part I'm on the fence about is spending Money. If it is money well "invested" I'm all for it, it shouldn't be wasted as there is not enough of it about.

Promotion, to create awareness - doing things well will create strength.

Went to the Rugby Business Network night on Monday - great night.
One of the SRU targets is have every club take a game to the bush / country.
Another target is to make the Shute the best club comp in the world / - now that's putting a target out there. But guess what as ambitious as it might be there is a goal - and with that key people could jump on board.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The "ramping up of club rugby" - How should that money be spent exactly?

Giving money to the clubs again? To the states? To the facilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The "ramping up of club rugby" - How should that money be spent exactly?

Giving money to the clubs again? To the states? To the facilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How should it be spent, or how should it be invested.

If it was me, promoting the game.
We have clubs in allot of geographic areas around the whole country. These clubs doing a great job, and incorporating communities is an awesome advertisement for our game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reg
I don't really know as that shit is not in my realm of alleged expertise.

In Brisy we have the wealthy clubs like Bond and UQ (both privately funded), Sunnybank (funded by those machines that offer patrons a chance of winning money), and now include Wests (who built great premises at great risk, without pokies and lease out a large portion on a commercial basis) and then you have clubs that struggle financially - Brothers, Souths, Norths and maybe GPS and Easts - I don't know the actual financials of these clubs so I apologise in advance if I have mis-categorised any clubs.

Those less fortunate clubs need to be a little more supported whether by advertising or accountable cash operational money, It may even be to assist in the building of new facilities.

We need to attract more players as well as supporters. There is such a player drain from schoolboy level to that of club. The drain continues from Colts to Seniors. Would love to see clubs having 4ths and 5ths running around as it brings a great club culture with the extra bodies.

I just don't see the cost v benefit argument of the NRC. BRC season is late in the year. The professional players don't really want to know about it

The crowd numbers are disgraceful as probably the television viewers (I may be wrong)

Am starting to ramble so that's it

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well at least the NRC isn't the only league that has trouble with uniform clashes.

AFL Womens between GWS and Freo. One team changed shorts at quarter time to help the situation.

C46VFnJUcAISuOq.jpg:large

On the photo rather than the game - AFL concentrating on girls as when they grow up to be mums - they know they played AFL and enjoyed it so have know issues in their kids taking it up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
IMO

The NRC is cost neutral to for the ARU. And only 5 of 12 Sydney clubs have a financial stake in two of the NSW franchise. Where's this great expense? In terms of growth both crowds (10%) and viewership (23% per game) grew last season. It's starting at a small base but its still growth. Also, outside of the Wallabies plenty of the Super Rugby players featured right through the season.

The only way we should even entertain canning the NRC is if we see it replaced by a national club competition that involves not only teams from the Brisbane and Sydney competitions but the Rams, Rising, Vikings and Spirit.

But for that to happen it would involve certain clubs raising above their current competitions leaving others behind. Would you be up for that?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The NRC is cost neutral to for the ARU. And only 5 of 12 Sydney clubs have a financial stake in two of the NSW franchise. Where's this great expense? In terms of growth both crowds (10%) and viewership (23% per game) grew last season. It's starting at a small base but its still growth. Also, outside of the Wallabies plenty of the Super Rugby players featured right through the season.

The only way we should even entertain canning the NRC is if we see it replaced by a national club competition that involves not only teams from the Brisbane and Sydney competitions but the Rams, Rising, Vikings and Spirit.

But for that to happen it would involve certain clubs raising above their current competitions leaving others behind. Would you be up for that?

Too logical mate, the answer is 80s style club football!

I mean, at the time we said that was the problem with Australian rugby, and now we're saying it's this, but what's life without scapegoats?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Too logical mate, the answer is 80s style club football!

I mean, at the time we said that was the problem with Australian rugby, and now we're saying it's this, but what's life without scapegoats?

I've been an avid fan of the Club game for as long as I can remember. I've even had the pleasure of wearing the Randwick jersey on a number of occasions as a young man. It's a really emjoyable level of the game but it doesn't fill the standard gap required in Australian Rugby. The talent is too diluted across far too many teams to produce the requisite quality necessary.

The NRC does this and is the only vessel currently available. And unless a number of clubs from both the Shute Shield and Brisbane club competitioms (and I'm only talking say 4 each) alongside the four essentially 'rep' squads above are able to sort something out then it should remain that way.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I've been an avid fan of the Club game for as long as I can remember. I've even had the pleasure of wearing the Randwick jersey on a number of occasions as a young man. It's a really emjoyable level of the game but it doesn't fill the standard gap required in Australian Rugby. The talent is too diluted across far too many teams to produce the requisite quality necessary.

The NRC does this and is the only vessel currently available. And unless a number of clubs from both the Shute Shield and Brisbane club competitioms (and I'm only talking say 4 each) alongside the four essentially 'rep' squads above are able to sort something out then it should remain that way.

I haven't seen to many sports succeed by shrinking to greatness.

If club comps could acheive my dream we may have quantity lifting quality and that bridge reduces.

I reckon the quality is out there, there was a great article in today's Tele about a young prop bring identified in central coast park rugby and now he's with the Aussie 20s.

If the state of origin teams can high most of there plays come from the public high school system - what are we doing?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's not shrinking to greatness. The local club game would still continue. If a club competition developed it would by necessity be a new separate competition beyond the current club competitions. Cluns could still run teams in those competitions as essentially reserve grades.

If it ran post season as the NRC does it really wouldn't matter.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
?

Thanks I was going to say the same thing.

With our current Super Rugby set up, the best method is to have a good quality 3rd tier with the best players in the country playing to be ready for the next level.

Without Super Rugby, the next best model is the AFL where each state has a club comp directly feeding a national club who is responsible for their own talent identification, finances and well being...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It's not shrinking to greatness. The local club game would still continue. If a club competition developed it would by necessity be a new separate competition beyond the current club competitions. Cluns could still run teams in those competitions as essentially reserve grades.

If it ran post season as the NRC does it really wouldn't matter.

Oops yes was going back the front - I was thinking soup.
Am am interested what will happen to the Rising or the Spirit if one of the Soup teams fold.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't seen to many sports succeed by shrinking to greatness.

If club comps could acheive my dream we may have quantity lifting quality and that bridge reduces.

I reckon the quality is out there, there was a great article in today's Tele about a young prop bring identified in central coast park rugby and now he's with the Aussie 20s.

If the state of origin teams can high most of there plays come from the public high school system - what are we doing?

Hey Dave, I know you're a passionate club man and a good bloke, but many, many sports run their development pathway like a narrowing funnel as you move up the ranks. Premier grades, into NRC, into Super Rugby, into Wallabies makes sense.

It isn't "shrinking to greatness". As an aside - why do rugby fans suddenly love the term "shrinking to greatness" so much?