• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Here's my perspective(s). I am a coach, parent, critic, and sports lover (in no particular order) kinda guy. so Vegas here is my response:
  1. At what cost? If youre a parent who paid for your education a lot of maccas. If youre a principal.winning 1st Xv gps rugby premiers means dealing and negotiating with coaches and various stakeholders keen to win. .and sacrificing. Sacrificing is the controversial and painful aspect of others choosing depending on their agenda. So at what cost? A bitter sweet experience. Its the ying/yang of our school rugby journey.
  2. Academic achievements are the same. Employers reap the benefit of our education system. Its a given, that we dont just get white collar and blue collar workers from some mystery location they are educated through a pathway that is layered with politics, deals and propaganda . Professional rugby is the new pinnacle of a young 15 yr old who may have aspirations to become their rugby idol, unfortunately like all of us our journey in pursuit of our dreams dont lead to playing 1st XV.
  3. System is Broken? What should it be about? Again, it depends on your perspective. gps rugby competition is strong and growing stronger. Is it a good thing? Will there be casualties? Not all will be Dr's or Carpenters. Some will be amazing teachers and some will be fantastic performers in a circus. Point is, systems are put in place to guide potential guardians of your schools ethos.it does not guarantee rite of passage. Earning the right for eg, to wear that jersey is a culmination of many factors. Meeting the criteria set by coaches is a pre-requisite along with many other factors that we may or may not agree with. That is indeed the conundrum.
  4. My evolving opinion is. I believe gps rugby is the winner. ARU and its many super rugby franchises are the beneficiaries.and we rugby lovers live happily ever after in our heavenly abode .cheers
Not quite sure what you are on about here a fair bit of waffle i think. But fully understood what you said in point 4. So all I can say in response is if the ARU and the Super Rugby Franchises are the beneficiaries of the GPS rugby system, then the performance of the Wallabies and the Super Franchises would be a good indicator how well all this is working. Need I say more.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
^^^ GPS rugby is fine. Although they are certainly not about developing players at the 1st XV level, Bigger, better, faster is the order of the day. It's the first couple of years after they leave the GPS/AIC system that needs a major improvement in providing a pathway.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
We can all have our opinion on sporting scholarships at school level, however the fact is that professional rugby in Oz at provincial and international level needs every single little gem and nugget that can be prospected from the only pathway that provides the players.

That pathway is schools. Always has been (junior club rugby only commenced in Brisbane in the 1960's decades after schools were playing rugby and developing wallabies) always will be.

The stronger schoolboy rugby is, the stronger grown up rugby is. Rugby in Australia is a tiny little minnow in a big pond. The fact that we are as competitive as we are internationally off such a thin base, I think is quite astonishing.

Rugby internationally is becoming more and more competitive, the gap between minnows and top tier nations narrows at each world cup. 7's even more so. Without the sporting talent that school scholarships send to the game of rugby, grown up rugby would be in a bit of a pickle in this country.

We won't win another world cup again until we have (Bob Dwyer's theory) 5 world XV players in our team. Perhaps the pixies and fairies will find them.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
We can all have our opinion on sporting scholarships at school level, however the fact is that professional rugby in Oz at provincial and international level needs every single little gem and nugget that can be prospected from the only pathway that provides the players.

That pathway is schools. Always has been (junior club rugby only commenced in Brisbane in the 1960's decades after schools were playing rugby and developing wallabies) always will be.

The stronger schoolboy rugby is, the stronger grown up rugby is. Rugby in Australia is a tiny little minnow in a big pond. The fact that we are as competitive as we are internationally off such a thin base, I think is quite astonishing.

Rugby internationally is becoming more and more competitive, the gap between minnows and top tier nations narrows at each world cup. 7's even more so. Without the sporting talent that school scholarships send to the game of rugby, grown up rugby would be in a bit of a pickle in this country.

We won't win another world cup again until we have (Bob Dwyer's theory) 5 world XV players in our team. Perhaps the pixies and fairies will find them.
Bob's theory is great but what do you do when the other 10 World Team members are All Blacks?

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
GPS rugby has been the proven (road well travelled)pathway to a rugby career if the kid has talent and a whole lot of self belief and determination. We are still seeing strong evidence of this when the yr 11 boys compete with the more established yr 12 boys for positions in the 1st XV, and sure enough yr 11 boys will emerge.No one owns the positions until proven.
This healthy battle for positions is how we raise the benchmark from yester- years to compete at Super level then on to the international standards.
2 BSHS boys who came through the gps system one is now a well established REDS player Kerevi and Adam is a classic example of hard work and self belief. Now he has pushed himself into the starting 6 ahead of two more established players. . .Leroy and Tui... gps rugby is still alive and kicking. .

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
GPS rugby has been the proven (road well travelled)pathway to a rugby career if the kid has talent and a whole lot of self belief and determination. We are still seeing strong evidence of this when the yr 11 boys compete with the more established yr 12 boys for positions in the 1st XV, and sure enough yr 11 boys will emerge.No one owns the positions until proven.
This healthy battle for positions is how we raise the benchmark from yester- years to compete at Super level then on to the international standards.
2 BSHS boys who came through the gps system one is now a well established REDS player Kerevi and Adam is a classic example of hard work and self belief. Now he has pushed himself into the starting 6 ahead of two more established players.Leroy and Tui. gps rugby is still alive and kicking. .

I don't think anyone here would disagree with you that school boy rugby is a great product and entertaining, it always has been. But with the direction the schools seem to be taking it down now you have to ask yourself at what "Cost". Is the health of Australian Rugby better now then it was say 10 years ago.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Realist,
If you are stating that most here agree, "that school boy rugby is a great product and entertaining, it always has been." then you ask the questions:
  1. At what cost? . . .based on your assumption that the direction the schools seem to be taking it down(gps rugby). My simple but complex response is, all good things and outcomes come at a cost.These include disappointments for example(s):Johnny (his family &friends)who misses out because they brought in a Will Genia to try and win the gps comp. Casualties are the normal effects of professionalism that has filtered down in our rank and file systems of rugby in order to be competent and competitive on all those levels. .
  2. Health of Australian Rugby? We can only compare apples with apples. My personal view is, develop rugby systems that are in touch with the current benchmark (AB's & recent times ENG) and hopefully we get our 5-10 world class rugby players to compete for the top spot.
I hope others views of this often controversial grassroot schools rugby are objective and with hope/solutions.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
First master the fundamentals. When I was young, I never wanted to leave the court until I got things exactly correct. My dream was to become a pro. I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody--somewhere--was practicing more than me.
LARRY BIRD, attributed, Winning Words

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I wasn't real quick, and I wasn't real strong. Some guys will just take off and it's like, whoa. So I beat them with my mind and my fundamentals.
LARRY BIRD, Esquire, Sep. 2008

The prior Larry Bird quote I posted , and this one , should serve as inspiration for all lads who feel that that they are over looked in favour of the grass is always greener types who come to schools on deals .

Larry Joe Bird is telling you to get to work gentlemen

Don't sit around and bitch about how things are , how things should be , what's not fair and what you think you are entitled to.

Know what's coming and let it be in the doing

That should be the identified ( and mature ) view of the Grade 8 and 9 boy with aspirations rather than just a candy assed hope that "values" get restored to the good ol days that my Daddy and GrandPappy remember

That is if you want it badly enough

And its not about being a pro . If that happens and you want it then good luck to you . The message ,however, can be as proportionate and relative to what your personal goals are

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
I think that's the whole point of other posters from within the GPS fraternity. Boys do work hard only for their place to be taken by a Johnny Come Lately from RLA RLA land. One school apparently had 11 arrive in year 10 this year.

In an earlier post, you told me to come off my high horse and insinuated double standards. Well, Lemons and Oranges Mr Owens. The isolated, one off transfer of an Ipswich boy to MCA can't be compared to the extremely well engineered, well funded predatory migration that your fraternity brothers are blowing up about. That "pissing and moaning" is symptomatic of a bigger problem.

And speaking of double standards, OMG did I see some pissing and moaning when boys weren't picked in a starting lineup a couple of times last year. It went on for days. And it will happen again. Not from the boy though.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm glad you said "apparently" your Highness

There seems to be trouble and an unreliability with mail these days

Of course it's all about the Source and whatever view they are trying to force

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'll keep things honest and simple your Highness as I like my head on my shoulders or even up my arse rather than on one of your Sire's stakes should I earn your ire.

1. The Little Johnnys' v The Johnny Come Latelys'

So long as everyone knows what's coming , or the prospect of it , ( and there has been enough history throughout the Association over time to be of this mind ) then there really shouldn't be an issue.

Start from the end game and work backwards in what you then must do to prepare yourself . And if you miss out then you either :

- Accept the fact you are not good enough and reframe what you want from the game

- Don't Accept that fact and get back to work and reframe the forward goal

The boys just aren't at school for Rugby . They are there to hopefully get moderated reality as to how things are out in the big bad world and to develop work ethic , goal planning skills , and self management skills around goal attainment and goal failure .

And if they can do this in the context of sports that than translates into ultimately what they become and end up doing then hey baby chips and gravy - mission accomplished

And speaking of the Johnny's - I am sure there is going to be a showdown

2. Lemon and Oranges ? I guess a Lemon is more bitter than an Apple - but moving on from such citric ponderings .......predatory bretheren ? well engineered and well funded ? Come now Prince ....... how often do I and others have to re-affirm that funding "cost" has nothing to do with it in real , literal terms. More hysteria and untruths . The truth is its about incremental revenue boosting when the house isn't full , and , if these boys do lead to better performance based outcomes in whatever they are at the respective schools for - then the enrolment lists gets pumped because whether we all want to accept the ugly truth or not , a significant number of potential customers of a school will pay full freight for their perception of performance .

And that's just not a Rugby thing . Apply that to any part of a curriculum where ambitious prospective customers will consider placing their child into what they perceive is quality - and they'll pony up the bucks for it because its also a status affirmation . That's exactly why parents drive around with those dicky stickers pumping the school on their rear windows......make way ! low achievers keep left ! high achievers coming through !

Unfortunately , Moral High Ground isn't a GPS or AIC Sport

3. As to your last paragraph I have no clear idea what you are talking about Prince .....only some muddled confused insinuation of some sought which seems beneath someone of your stature. A clumsy attempt at a personal jab which one might expect from a sardonic jester but not from a man of class and standards

With fondness , and as ever ,

Garry

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll keep things honest and simple your Highness as I like my head on my shoulders or even up my arse rather than on one of your Sire's stakes should I earn your ire.

1. The Little Johnnys' v The Johnny Come Latelys'

So long as everyone knows what's coming , or the prospect of it , ( and there has been enough history throughout the Association over time to be of this mind ) then there really shouldn't be an issue.

Start from the end game and work backwards in what you then must do to prepare yourself . And if you miss out then you either :

- Accept the fact you are not good enough and reframe what you want from the game

- Don't Accept that fact and get back to work and reframe the forward goal

The boys just aren't at school for Rugby . They are there to hopefully get moderated reality as to how things are out in the big bad world and to develop work ethic , goal planning skills , and self management skills around goal attainment and goal failure .

And if they can do this in the context of sports that than translates into ultimately what they become and end up doing then hey baby chips and gravy - mission accomplished

And speaking of the Johnny's - I am sure there is going to be a showdown

2. Lemon and Oranges ? I guess a Lemon is more bitter than an Apple - but moving on from such citric ponderings ...predatory bretheren ? well engineered and well funded ? Come now Prince ... how often do I and others have to re-affirm that funding "cost" has nothing to do with it in real , literal terms. More hysteria and untruths . The truth is its about incremental revenue boosting when the house isn't full , and , if these boys do lead to better performance based outcomes in whatever they are at the respective schools for - then the enrolment lists gets pumped because whether we all want to accept the ugly truth or not , a significant number of potential customers of a school will pay full freight for their perception of performance .

And that's just not a Rugby thing . Apply that to any part of a curriculum where ambitious prospective customers will consider placing their child into what they perceive is quality - and they'll pony up the bucks for it because its also a status affirmation . That's exactly why parents drive around with those dicky stickers pumping the school on their rear windows..make way ! low achievers keep left ! high achievers coming through !

Unfortunately , Moral High Ground isn't a GPS or AIC Sport

3. As to your last paragraph I have no clear idea what you are talking about Prince ...only some muddled confused insinuation of some sought which seems beneath someone of your stature. A clumsy attempt at a personal jab which one might expect from a sardonic jester but not from a man of class and standards

With fondess , and as ever ,
Garry

Its a pity that some of the "Johnny come Lately s" didn't have the same life experiences forced onto them as the "Little Johnny's" might put some back bone into some of our Profession Players

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Boys do work hard only for their place to be taken by a Johnny Come Lately from RLA RLA land. One school apparently had 11 arrive in year 10 this year.

I resent that remark. It was only 9.And 4 in grade 11.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah but that's double counting 3 of them so it the true number would only be 6 in Grade 10 yeah ?

Jokes Bluey.

I know one of the incoming Grade 10 lads . Terrific young bloke with a big future. I think in the right system with the right attention this young guy could closely resemble Sef Agasse

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah but that's double counting 3 of them so it the true number would only be 6 in Grade 10 yeah ?

Jokes Bluey.

I know one of the incoming Grade 10 lads . Terrific young bloke with a big future. I think in the right system with the right attention this young guy could closely resemble Sef Agasse

Yeah I know a GPS school with about 30 new year 10 students, and probably 20 or more new year 11 students. It amazes me how people claim they know how many of the new boys are on scholarship (whatever that means?). There's obviously a few boys on some form of fee assistance - but a new boy in year 10 or 11 who is good at rugby doesn't mean he's on a deal.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'll never understand the people against the Johnny come lately's.

Maybe it's the label that contributes. How about we call them the Will Genia or Quade Cooper come lately's? I wonder if that label would still conjure the same animosity.

You try tell me the Second XV inside centre at Churchie wouldn't benefit from training opposite Jayden Su'a four times a week for 25 weeks a year.

Likewise the BGS boys - try tell me with a straight face that an up and coming League forward or two to train alongside wouldn't toughen up a few of the soft Grade 11 forwards that invariably end up populating the First XV.

For the boys who are left in the cold - like me, back in the day - injuries happen and if you're good enough you'll fight your way onto the bench.

It's school footy, not the presidential election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.