• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Easts easily accounted for Souths. Whilst Souths were bigger, the Easts team played around them and scored down the edges. Easts played with more depth and played smarter rugby. Souths have a number of injuries to deal with.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
I didn't attend but the word was that GPS just got over the top of Uni. A very surprising result. Although they have not trialled well I would hope that Saturday will produce a performance at the new Sylvan Road.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Uni back in the horse after a late loss at the new Kennel. Just overpowered and outpaced Souths who will, it looks, struggle this year with not a lot of depth unfortunately as they did well last year at stages including some eye catching wins. How about Wests getting up over the top of Brothers at Crosby?? Well done to all.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Should be a great game tomorrow, premier Colts Sunnybank v Wests, playing at Sunnybank. They are the only 2 teams still undefeated. Both teams are strong, Wests have already proven their worth with wins against UQ and Brothers, But Sunnybank have had 2 convincing wins with a massive 55 point win against Souths and a 32 point win against Norths. Definately the premier colts game of the round. Anyone want to predict who will win this one?

The Eagle

Stan Wickham (3)
Should be a great game tomorrow, premier Colts Sunnybank v Wests, playing at Sunnybank. They are the only 2 teams still undefeated. Both teams are strong, Wests have already proven their worth with wins against UQ and Brothers, But Sunnybank have had 2 convincing wins with a massive 55 point win against Souths and a 32 point win against Norths. Definately the premier colts game of the round. Anyone want to predict who will win this one?

Game of the year, should also be the last game of the year. Wests by 2

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Went down to watch the top of the table clash in colts...what I can say unequivocally is that Wests were(in my opinion) at least 15 points a better side than Sunnybank but Bank held in there and huge credit to them for that. Wests missed 2 kicks in front of the posts about 15 and 25 metres out and were held up twice over the line. Their territory stats must have been huge. I'm sure these two teams will meet more than once more before the season is out but they are both very physical and with some real speed on show. Really enjoyable despite the low scoring

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
This competition is really heating up for places at the top...the heavies finding their feet in the last few weeks with some excellent performances and with real momentum, especially at home to Sunnybank. I am not surprised that Wests have kept up their march after seeing them early in the season, they are a good side and well coached with some excellent players.
Sunnybank may have lost a couple of games but I cannot see that lineup not having a say when it comes to the prize-giving. Depth will be tested for all sides but it will be interesting nonetheless. Beware the filth come finals time. This one will go to the wire.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
This competition is really heating up for places at the top. the heavies finding their feet in the last few weeks with some excellent performances and with real momentum, especially at home to Sunnybank. I am not surprised that Wests have kept up their march after seeing them early in the season, they are a good side and well coached with some excellent players.

Sunnybank may have lost a couple of games but I cannot see that line up not having a say when it comes to the prize-giving. Depth will be tested for all sides but it will be interesting nonetheless. Beware the filth come finals time. This one will go to the wire.

I really can't see when push comes to push (a scrum metaphor) that the top 4 will change over the next 8 weeks, perhaps the order might change a little but I think that will be the top four.

That being said based on results thus far I am tipping a Uni vs Brothers Final and that will be a cracker of a game. I just don't think Wests will have the depth and both Uni and Brothers accounted for Sunnybank quite easily. I know lots of excuses like injuries and rep duties, blah blah blah, but its the same for very team in a 18 week competition.

That being said if you are in the top four, anything can happen over finals time.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Looking at the team lists it does't surprise me that S'bank, UQ and Brothers are in the top 4. Each of those teams have several names which can be recognized from GPS 1st XV, QLD school boys, Australian schoolboys and Reds U20's.
However, Wests, sitting at the top spot on the ladder, has me fascinated. I was not expecting them to be still sitting so high at this stage in the comp, in fact I wasn't even expecting them to be in the top 4. Who are these boys? I don't recognize any names from any of the pathways mentioned above... and for this reason alone, I am fascinated. Well done to those that recruited them, the coaches and players for doing so well so far. I will certainly be watching this team with more interest.
Next weeks game, UQ v Brothers will be brilliant! I also think these two will play again in the finals.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking at the team lists it does't surprise me that S'bank, UQ and Brothers are in the top 4. Each of those teams have several names which can be recognized from GPS 1st XV, QLD school boys, Australian schoolboys and Reds U20's.
However, Wests, sitting at the top spot on the ladder, has me fascinated. I was not expecting them to be still sitting so high at this stage in the comp, in fact I wasn't even expecting them to be in the top 4. Who are these boys? I don't recognize any names from any of the pathways mentioned above. and for this reason alone, I am fascinated. Well done to those that recruited them, the coaches and players for doing so well so far. I will certainly be watching this team with more interest.
Next weeks game, UQ v Brothers will be brilliant! I also think these two will play again in the finals.
Proof that Gems do exist outside of GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Throw back to the 2007 Sunnybank Colts team that had lots of 2ndXV and non rugby schools players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James Small

Bob McCowan (2)
I would love to see the QLD GPS season go to 16 rounds (6 months) like in South Africa & New Zealand and also include schools from the AIC and TAS competitions. This would give the boys in these schools an opportunity to showcase their skills on a bigger stage. While they may initially struggle against the GPS schools the stronger competition may eventually help lift the overall standard of schoolboy rugby in QLD.

Not sure how well this would go down with the various schools though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While that would be great from a rugby point of view the schools won't do it. They play in the GPS comp in numerous sports and cultural activities and the calendar is already full.
I like the idea of a knockout comp like the MetWay Cup back in the 90's where schools from all over Brisbane took part. I remember Flatley's Nudgee team playing a game before the Reds at Ballymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Proof that Gems do exist outside of GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wests have done a excellent job in recruitment. So many of the anointed GPS boys are over privileged. From my observations many boys who develop a bit later are a bit tougher and have better technique as they have not always been the bigger boy.

Don't get me wrong some of the GPS boys are very talented but I would pose this question who would you rather have, a boy who plays rugby who went to a AIC or state school who is at about the same level as a boy who went to a GPS school with all of the advantages of excellent coaching that the GPS boys get.

TBOY

Bob McCowan (2)
Well the premier colts table looks a little interesting. I still suspect gps / bond to upset a few teams on road to seasons end.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wests vs University next Saturday is going to be massive!!!

You think we will see the u20's back in colts club rugby next weekend or are any of these U20 young wallabies worthy of a 3pm premier jersey?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Well the premier colts table looks a little interesting. I still suspect gps / bond to upset a few teams on road to seasons end.

good call on GPS! they got the scalp today against Brothers who are/were in the top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.