• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lance has decent vision, excellent defence, and a solid kicking game.

Despite the fact Lance plays 10 for the Force, and does well, I think if he ever was to play higher (test football) it would be as either a distributing 12, or as a bench utility.

We probably under value that utility role at test level that guys like Mike Harris have filled in the past (and even AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), though he started). I'd love to see KHunt or Lance developed for that role. Great for tours and World Cups.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
ILTW

I couldn't agree more re Quade's ability

It's something I'd like to watch more of.:)

But it's been a long time since I've seen him do it on a regular and consistent basis - actually probably 2011.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought Quade looked good in the last game - although I thought he was going to be off the field after 10 minutes, he ended up playing a more understated role and I though looked the better for it. Directed things well, was more, dare I say, "orthodox". My major concern with him is whether he is carrying a niggling injury, apart from what happened in that game (?MCL strain).
I think, if the Wallabies had him playing more like that, especially with the calibre of line breaking and ball running threats that can be put around him, we'd be the better for it. Doing what he did in this game, and maybe with a bit of the unpredictable thrown in, he'd be great. But as ever, look at the 10s directing NZ teams well at the moment and what they do well. Move the ball on, kick from 22 and in general play effectively, link well etc.........without a lot of flamboyance! We don't really need magic, we need reliably solid.
Cooper can do it - but will he? Has the most upside, but maybe a bit more potential downside when off his game.
Foley is solid, but has the obvious ongoing concussion issue, and well-documented shortcomings.
Lance looks pretty good, but can he release players quite as well? A good back up but not convinced he's a starter at Test level.
And then we have...................
For me, if he's fit AND he plays more like the other night consistently, I'd pick Cooper for the Wallabies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
^^^^ it's crazy talk.
You can compare them both at their worst.
But QC (Quade Cooper) 1/2 way to his best, is grades above the best of Lance.

We just need to start seeing it from QC (Quade Cooper).
He's been throwing some nice balls, just need a few of them to result in 5 pointers.
All he needs to do is trust the guys around him. DP will be good enough to take some load off him.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I said it before the tour that LHP depth was an area of concern and now with Slipper likely injured for anywhere up to 8 weeks it's almost a crisis...

Vanzati isn't up to starting as a Super Rugby prop yet, far too young and inexperienced. Fa'agase wasn't taken on tour due to injury. Sanday is a the other option, but I haven't seen enough of him to really comment.

Perhaps shift Tupou to LHP and have Sanday and Vanzati as reserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: dru

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
QC (Quade Cooper) is in desperate need of a strong as fuck sports psychologist. The red card was just waiting to happen nevause he refuses to correct his technique. There are so many strong points with him that it's ridiculous - but his constant refusal to address his flaws is beyond a joke. whoever is blowing smoke up his arse needs to stop - they're not doing him any favours.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ruptured Achilles confirmed for Slipper, Phil Kite called up to replace him.

Moore to take over captaincy - not sure what this will mean for his scheduled benchings?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In any case, Ready hasn't really made a statement in his time on the ground this year. Is it second year syndrome or is he not playing as well this year as last?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Could just be the lack of game time. He was always going to get subbed when the scrum struggled.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Seems to me that Ready has a bit of sophomore jinx. Looks bigger than last year and you would have expected that from a young front rower, as still needs to grow in to his body.

I was not a fan of signing Moore, but in retrospect front row players always take time to mature and it still might be the for Readys best to play behind a seasoned professional like Moore.

Still think Latu should pip Moore for the Wallabies, has paid his dues at the Tahs and has been all fire and explosions thus far.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From watching snippets of K Hunt Micc'd up last week - I'd be happy with him as captain. although fullback isn't the best position. Apart from him though no one else springs to mind. Certainly no backs - all too green, and the only forward is Smith or Higgers - with Smith likely to be subbed every game.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It's discomfiting to think an Achilles could go that easily. Not much more pressure on it than most of us exert going up a flight of stairs (at least, those of us who weigh 110kg I guess).

From what I can google a ruptured Achilles is quicker to mend than an ACL, so could Slipper be right to be in contention for the Spring Tour or is it likely to be a 2018 return?

I think that really puts pressure on the chance of any major Reds turnaround this season because of its impact on the set piece. The scrum has generally been able to hold its own while Slipper and Talakai have been the props but it's gone downhill fast once the bench props have come on. Some teams might be able to cover somewhat for an under-pressure scrum but the Reds aren't one of them.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
From what I can google a ruptured Achilles is quicker to mend than an ACL, so could Slipper be right to be in contention for the Spring Tour or is it likely to be a 2018 return?

From the Orthopods I know in this area it's a 6 month recovery timeframe for a general athlete. As Slipper is a prop who has more load on that area it could be worthwhile writing the spring tour off and focus on 2018.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It's discomfiting to think an Achilles could go that easily. Not much more pressure on it than most of us exert going up a flight of stairs (at least, those of us who weigh 110kg I guess).

I think that really puts pressure on the chance of any major Reds turnaround this season because of its impact on the set piece. The scrum has generally been able to hold its own while Slipper and Talakai have been the props but it's gone downhill fast once the bench props have come on. Some teams might be able to cover somewhat for an under-pressure scrum but the Reds aren't one of them.

The only positive is that next year we will have great backups.

I wonder if Thor will move to loose to get him more game time?

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah I was a bit surprised when I heard Tupou was going to be a THP in the first place. LHPs are typically the more mobile ones, though of course some THs are good runners too. Tupou seemed perfect for loosehead.

It's a bit sad as a Reds fan to see what's happened to our scrum. It's not terrible but it's definitely not a strength any more. The last two seasons the rare moments of joy I had watching the Reds were the moments when somebody dropped the ball, regardless of which side. Because I knew Greg Holmes at tighthead was going to send that opposing scrum marching backwards and we were a very good chance of winning a penalty.

We just pantsed every scrum we came up against, even the vaunted Lions scrum when we got a penalty try against them. And the lineout is struggling a lot this season too. It's unfortunate that our strong Graham-era set piece has deserted us the same time our attack has finally found some teeth.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah I read it in the same article announcing Slipper's confirmed Achilles rupture. They said it was Quade cover. Not exactly apples and apples but perhaps they are thinking if worst comes to worst KH will go to 12, DP to 10 and Maranta to fullback.

Or perhaps Taefu will get the 22 jersey and Maranta is just there to make up the squad numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.