• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)
Great first up effort by the Tigers in Prems today, defeating a spirited Brothers 28-19 after trailing 17-19 at half time.
David Wilson field is in tremendous shape.

I also hear that Souths and Sunnybank drew 29-29 at Yeronga.

There will be no easy wins this season (as if there ever is ....)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Prems fulltime
Souths v Sbank 29 all
Bond 20 NORTHS 5 |
Easts 28 Brothers 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's great that Logan have Prem Reserves this year but taking a longer term view it is important that they have a side in Prem Colts otherwise they will always struggle for depth.

Yep Bulldog, and everyone at club realises the problem of no Colts etc, we still have the problem of course that we not yet in Prems, and being next door to S'bank who are quite some way a lot more financial than us, we also have to accept that a lot of young fellas will go there at this stage where it seems a bigger stage and subs are cheaper. I do believe one or 2 clubs under 17 sides around the place are finding the same problem, but it something we will have to live with!
As for yesterday's games, we got whipped in the Firsts as we only had about 13 players (club having a stamp down on fees etc), followed by a couple of reasonably serious injuries, but I salute the Jeeps team who understood the problems, and still tore into us, and there seemed to be a quite good feeling between teams. Prem reserves I haven't caught the final score as yet, but was bloody good game up to halftime when I had to leave to take one of the boys form the above game to hospital, he was badly concussed, and Jeeps doc (bloody nice fella who played against our 1sts) suggested we didn't leave it any longer!

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Just watching Bond v Norths, interesting to see Rohan Hoffman redding at this level. Good to see.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bad luck yesterday in Premier Grade, Bulldog. Was hoping the Doggies could christen the new field with a win. However, what a great result in Premier Colts for your blokes!!

Unfortunately, Brothers Premier Grade went down to Easts. The physicality is there, and the lineout has improved but at least 4 scrums feeds were lost to Easts. But Easts were deserved winners.

Bulldog, you've got us next week at Crosby.

Chapo

Bob McCowan (2)
I saw the 2nd half of the Sunnybank v Souths game on Saturday. Sunnybank were all over them and looked impressive. very direct and very fast. Souths were only in it off the boot of their 5/8 with the big wind. I didn't see the first half so not sure what happened there but it could well have been sunnybank by 20 if a few more chances stuck . Overall, souths weren't bad. Sunnybank just faster, fitter and more direct. the game was of pretty good quality in attack and defence. I have watched a few other teams in the trials and I would be surprised if these 2 teams don't hand out a few floggings this year and end up deep in the finals.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am concerned about Wests start to the season against Uni last weekend - it was indeed a great win in Prem Colts and the new stadium and facilities are second to none other in the competition (or Bne Club sport) but what can we expect from Premier Grade for 2017? There wasn't much different on display on Saturday to what we've seen for the last 4/5 years.

I know that some people at Sylvan Road won't like what I am about to say but my concern is whether Pat Byron & Evan Willis have it in them to turn around the fortunes of the Premier Grade side.

This is not for one moment doubting their commitment and passion for the Bulldog's cause but are they reinventing themselves as coaches or is it just the same old same old that hasn't worked in the past so you would expect won't work this time around.

Is it time that Phil Mooney, Michael Broad or Fletcher Dyson take the reins?

I appreciate what the Board has done in terms of the facilities and everyone is grateful to them for that but we must now get the rugby right and maybe some hard decisions need to be made otherwise we will continue to be at the bottom of the table for the foreseeable future.

Look maybe I am just being impatient but I want to see tangible improvement in performance.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I saw the 2nd half of the Sunnybank v Souths game on Saturday. Sunnybank were all over them and looked impressive. very direct and very fast. Souths were only in it off the boot of their 5/8 with the big wind. I didn't see the first half so not sure what happened there but it could well have been sunnybank by 20 if a few more chances stuck . Overall, souths weren't bad. Sunnybank just faster, fitter and more direct. the game was of pretty good quality in attack and defence. I have watched a few other teams in the trials and I would be surprised if these 2 teams don't hand out a few floggings this year and end up deep in the finals.

Hey Chapo

You don't think the two yellow cards against Souths had something to do with the Sunnybank comeback. It was 15 v 13 for a while there. I thought both teams looked good.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bulldog - I didn't see the game on the weekend but surely the Doggies deserve a few more weeks before the coaches are put under the microscope?

Uni have always been and will continue to be one of the benchmark teams of the competition, quite honestly I wouldn't expect a team such as Wests who are hopefully on the upwards trajectory to suddenly get everything right and knock off one of the best team in the competition during the first round.

From what I've heard the reggies game was a cracker with Wests only going down by a few points, that is a good result and something positive to build on, along with the Prem Colts victory.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Very excited for Bond-GPS this week. Interested to see how GPS look with all the Spirit boys in the lineup.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bulldog - I didn't see the game on the weekend but surely the Doggies deserve a few more weeks before the coaches are put under the microscope?

Uni have always been and will continue to be one of the benchmark teams of the competition, quite honestly I wouldn't expect a team such as Wests who are hopefully on the upwards trajectory to suddenly get everything right and knock off one of the best team in the competition during the first round.

From what I've heard the reggies game was a cracker with Wests only going down by a few points, that is a good result and something positive to build on, along with the Prem Colts victory.

I would normally agree with your sentiments Big Dog but it has been a few more weeks for a few years now. Although the Wests team list is not plastered with big names the talent is there.

As for a replacement, Phil Mooney was there last year but with his BGS commitments I don't think he really had/has the time. I hear Fletcher Dyson is making guest appearances rather than being a part of the coaching panel. Broady is the man I think. He has barely missed a training session since last October and has done the 'hard yards' with the squad when the other coaches were hardly seen until late January and even then they were fleeting visits. This has not gone unnoticed and Broady has the respect of the Prem squad for it. He is putting in the same commitment as is asked of the squad.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes I think Broady deserves a shot as the Wests Premier grade coach if he wants it.

I think he does the lion share of the recruitment in any event and it makes sense that he be in charge when the fruits of that labour come to the fore.

I just hope that we see an upward spiral in performance this season but if we don't it might be time to cut our losses and get Broady into the big chair because I think he would bring a far more professional approach to training.

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would normally agree with your sentiments Big Dog but it has been a few more weeks for a few years now. Although the Wests team list is not plastered with big names the talent is there.

As for a replacement, Phil Mooney was there last year but with his BGS commitments I don't think he really had/has the time. I hear Fletcher Dyson is making guest appearances rather than being a part of the coaching panel. Broady is the man I think. He has barely missed a training session since last October and has done the 'hard yards' with the squad when the other coaches were hardly seen until late January and even then they were fleeting visits. This has not gone unnoticed and Broady has the respect of the Prem squad for it. He is putting in the same commitment as is asked of the squad.

Reggies was a cracker but Heavies always had it I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.