• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Last year I thought we would likely go 1 & 5, 2 & 4 if really lucky but conceivably 0 and 6. Im revising to 1 and 14 but more likel 0 and 15. Cant see who they will beat.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Last year I thought we would likely go 1 & 5, 2 & 4 if really lucky but conceivably 0 and 6. Im revising to 1 and 14 but more likel 0 and 15. Cant see who they will beat.
So who wants to bet on when the coach gets the chop and by what round?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Chopping coaches midseason is stupid and adds no value to the team.

The right approach, were you to fire him, would be to do it pretty quickly after the season ends. The advantage of this "eliminate a franchise" BS is the new coach would get to build his squad, not many people have signed yet.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

The right approach, were you to fire him, would be to do it pretty quickly after the season ends. The advantage of this "eliminate a franchise" BS is the new coach would get to build his squad, not many people have signed yet.
Agree, all any team is ever left with is the assistants holding the fort until next season. I don't think I have seen that ever work for any team in any code.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Agree, all any team is ever left with is the assistants holding the fort until next season. .
sorry i have to disagree with both of you. the coach has lost the dressing room from what i can see. the results speak for themselves. the second half of season 15 they were cooked, the second half of last year they fell apart and this year, supposed to be the breakout year has been terrible, injuries,draw and skill differential to NZ sides not withstanding, the "team" look poor, this is definitely a coaching issue. if he doesn't go soon (NOW) there wont be a franchise worth saving from the chop

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Wont chop the coach if theres a chance the team gets chopped who would take that coaching gig of half a season with a bleak outlook..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
sorry i have to disagree with both of you. the coach has lost the dressing room from what i can see. the results speak for themselves. the second half of season 15 they were cooked, the second half of last year they fell apart and this year, supposed to be the breakout year has been terrible, injuries,draw and skill differential to NZ sides not withstanding, the "team" look poor, this is definitely a coaching issue. if he doesn't go soon (NOW) there wont be a franchise worth saving from the chop

You think displaying instability and knee jerk decision-making in the short term is what will save the Rebels in the long term? And this comes in the form of sacking the coach and installing an assistant as head coach 1/3 into a season?

I'm sorry, I just don't agree.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
If Cox were to sack the coach then it would be an admission that he got it wrong when he backed TT and extended his contract. Narcissists don't like to admit they were wrong. Its better to blame the ARU for not giving him enough money to buy better players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You can wait until the end of the season to sack the coach (or announce the sacking) but you need to start recruiting now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Agree, all any team is ever left with is the assistants holding the fort until next season. I don't think I have seen that ever work for any team in any code.
Seriously? How about the Parramatta Eels in 2006, were 2 & 6 under Smith then 10 & 6 under Taylor, making the semis. Leicester City are now 3 & 0 & 0 under Shakespeare in EPL, scoring an average 3 goals a game (less than 1 per game prior), and seemingly clear of the drop zone. He has also taken them through to the last 8 stage of Champions League beating Sevilla.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Think it's a really difficult position for Cox
Clearly the team is in desperate need for a shake up and Tony now appears bereft of ideas and most disappointing is the team is playing with little or no spirit
But if he gives it the shake up it needs to try to rescue something from the season he risks further instability and finger pointing from those that would see the Rebels wither .
However time to be bold I think .The real supporters who have stuck the journey need some hope and direction .

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seriously? How about the Parramatta Eels in 2006, were 2 & 6 under Smith then 10 & 6 under Taylor, making the semis. Leicester City are now 3 & 0 & 0 under Shakespeare in EPL, scoring an average 3 goals a game (less than 1 per game prior), and seemingly clear of the drop zone. He has also taken them through to the last 8 stage of Champions League beating Sevilla.

Yeah, there's been examples but it'd be a misrepresentation to say this is common.

I guess the big focus for me with the 16 Cavs, 06 Eels, and current Leicester City is the coach sacking reignited their good performances. The Rebels don't have a history of good performances to fall back on - it's a different situation.
You can wait until the end of the season to sack the coach (or announce the sacking) but you need to start recruiting now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No arguments here.

I personally don't think TT is a bad coach, but the situation isn't working. It's easy for us to say 'he's lost the locker room', but we don't know for sure.

Hopefully the administration know and will make the correct call, whatever it is.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so dumping the coach is hardly knee jerk.

the assistants do most of the day to day work anyway. subjectively since his arrival which players have progressed ? possibly Timani, i cant think of anyone else, a few have stayed at their level, English, Smith, Hanson ?, McMahon and Hodge would be great wherever they played. many have regressed, remember Stirzaker and Debraczini were "destined" to be Australia half pairing. the locals have come through under the tutelage of Nic Henderson. some of the team selections and signings have been bewildering, the same faults in execution present in 2013/14 are still apparent in 2017, the playing group need a circuit breaker - boning the coach seems to me the only quick solution.

Objectively the Rebels have won just under 35% of their games under MCgahan. go look on the Rebels facebook page, the supporters are livid, if something, even a symbolic gesture, isn't done there wont be any suporters left.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
so dumping the coach is hardly knee jerk.

the assistants do most of the day to day work anyway. subjectively since his arrival which players have progressed ? possibly Timani, i cant think of anyone else, a few have stayed at their level, English, Smith, Hanson ?, McMahon and Hodge would be great wherever they played. many have regressed, remember Stirzaker and Debraczini were "destined" to be Australia half pairing. the locals have come through under the tutelage of Nic Henderson. some of the team selections and signings have been bewildering, the same faults in execution present in 2013/14 are still apparent in 2017, the playing group need a circuit breaker - boning the coach seems to me the only quick solution.

Objectively the Rebels have won just under 35% of their games under MCgahan. go look on the Rebels facebook page, the supporters are livid, if something, even a symbolic gesture, isn't done there wont be any suporters left.

I disagree with most of your logic but I won't do a blow by blow.

What I will say is, if in your opinion the assistant do most of the work, and the players have regressed, then how is it TT's fault? Plus, you say it's not knee jerk, but you call it a 'quick solution'?

I think you have your views and there are some good reasons for it, but the points you're making is chock full of biases. I don't think it's at all objective like you say it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.