• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Not much action on the post.
I would have to think that MCA, St Peters and St Pats are the top 3 this year. St Peters the dark horse. No depth but talent in the top grade. St Pats a few good players led by Connors but depth may be an issue. MCA has the mosr depth but also carries the weight of expectation.
The others wont worry these 3.
Apart from the Lauries half (and he would be 2nd to MCA's) there will be but a few rep players from the balance AIC teams (maybe 3-4) making AIC.
Like last year the top teams will dominate the others by 30+ at least.
I expect some comment on this but look at the results as the season progresses.

Stan Wickham (3)
Trial game out at curlew park today, lauries vs pats. Quite a lackluster game from both sides. With lauries coming out on top 5 tries to 1. Alot of drop balls from pats leading to no momentum. No real stand out players on pats apart from 19, 21 and 12. Stand outs for lauries were their 15, 10, 4 and 9

Speaking to parents of boys the the st pats team there is another trial game next Thursday against state high. With no indications of a time. It was clear that this was pats first hit out compared to lauries 3.

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
Trial game out at curlew park today, lauries vs pats. Quite a lackluster game from both sides. With lauries coming out on top 5 tries to 1. Alot of drop balls from pats leading to no momentum. No real stand out players on pats apart from 19, 21 and 12. Stand outs for lauries were their 15, 10, 4 and 9

Speaking to parents of boys the the st pats team there is another trial game next Thursday against state high. With no indications of a time. It was clear that this was pats first hit out compared to lauries 3.

Yep. Pretty fair assessment. Lauries well and truly had St Pats measure. 5 tries to one in anyone's reckoning is a fairly comprehensive win. The backrow for Lauries is standing out as a real strength. The 15 for Lauries was absolutely the standout in this game. Hands down made the difference. The 10 for Pats needed more game time. Was a different team with him on the paddock. Don't want to harp on it but a whistle-a-thon once again. Neither team could get any momentum with that much referee 'input'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)

Based on yesterday's performance Pats are in for a world of pain against State High next week. Forwards were lackluster and backline made no penetration. Were exposed with pace out wide which Stae High have plenty of. Unless they are holding back for the regular season not much light ahead.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Based on yesterday's performance Pats are in for a world of pain against State High next week. Forwards were lackluster and backline made no penetration. Were exposed with pace out wide which Stae High have plenty of. Unless they are holding back for the regular season not much light ahead.

At best that was a pats 2nds team,I'm told the guys on the sideline in school uniform will most likely feature in their top team, I don't even think their head coach was there yesterday. They had lauries scrum on ice skates though.....again

Greg Hemmings

Bob McCowan (2)
Padua, Iona and Eddies are currently playing in the Ballymore Cup which will give them some much needed experience and things to work on before Round 1 begins. Finals are tomorrow at Ballymore if anyone's interested

wynnum forum

Frank Row (1)
Padua, Iona and Eddies are currently playing in the Ballymore Cup which will give them some much needed experience and things to work on before Round 1 begins. Finals are tomorrow at Ballymore if anyone's interested

Iona will play Padua in the semi final tomorrow. Padua taking out Pool A and Iona coming 2nd in Pool B. Positive signs from the Iona side, they are playing very good footy. They beat st eddies 22-7, orminston 69-0 and sunny coast 12-10. They lost to rocky grammar. Great work from the boys in black and white.

Greg Hemmings

Bob McCowan (2)
Day 1 results of Ballymore Cup - I agree Iona will be more competitive this year. It's great for the AIC if we can have much closer games; its not fun seeing teams get smashed 80-0 like last year!

Attachments

• 2017_Student_Horizons_Ballymore_Cup_RESULTS_DAY_1_58e62289aabc8[5828].pdf
    344.8 KB · Views: 443

fender34

Frank Row (1)
Day 1 results of Ballymore Cup - I agree Iona will be more competitive this year. It's great for the AIC if we can have much closer games; its not fun seeing teams get smashed 80-0 like last year!

results from the Ballymore cup on the final day.

in the semi-final, Ionas1sts took on Padua's 1sts
Padua won 14-7
quite a slow and boring game both teams having a decent hit out. The quality of footy displayed by both teams was exceptional. Padua put Iona on the back foot out and managed to take the game out. should be a great game in the trial in week one.

Padua then proceeds to the grand final between Rockhampton grammar School, the winners of pool B and clear favorites to take out the game.

Padua won, 42-14. taking out the u18's cup.
quite a good game Rockhampton came out hard Padua came back harder with a great performance by their backs. The forwards from both teams were very hard working and skilled and executed great game plans. Padua has opened the eyes of many as this was the first year they have played in the inaugural Ballymore cup they are a fit and well-drilled team, they will be a tough team to compete with again this year. Good luck to all teams throughout 2017.

Greg Hemmings

Bob McCowan (2)
results from the Ballymore cup on the final day.

in the semi-final, Ionas1sts took on Padua's 1sts
Padua won 14-7
quite a slow and boring game both teams having a decent hit out. The quality of footy displayed by both teams was exceptional. Padua put Iona on the back foot out and managed to take the game out. should be a great game in the trial in week one.

Padua then proceeds to the grand final between Rockhampton grammar School, the winners of pool B and clear favorites to take out the game.

Padua won, 42-14. taking out the u18's cup.
quite a good game Rockhampton came out hard Padua came back harder with a great performance by their backs. The forwards from both teams were very hard working and skilled and executed great game plans. Padua has opened the eyes of many as this was the first year they have played in the inaugural Ballymore cup they are a fit and well-drilled team, they will be a tough team to compete with again this year. Good luck to all teams throughout 2017.

Interesting analysis there. I thought both Iona and Padua played below what they were capable of, Iona was denying Padua any opportunities with good defence, but just a few gaps gave the centres something to run into.

Padua definitely were going in underdogs into the final against Rocky as Pool B seemed to be stronger overall. However, Padua was determined and the backs had a cracker of a game, forwards were very strong too. Harry Fox(no.5) was named man of the match.

Surely would give the boys some confidence going into Round 1 against Ashgrove, however there is always room for improvement. I wouldn't rule out Padua at all, they really worked together and played their hearts out for the full game. Should be an exciting season ahead.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Well done to Padua on winning the Ballymore Cup. First round at Banyo should be a very competitive game if Padua are as fit and well drilled as claimed.

Ashgrove will have a trial against Lauries at home the week before to gauge where they're at. Despite being written off by many, I still think Lauries will be the team to beat.

Greg Hemmings

Bob McCowan (2)
Also, additionally to both Ashgrove and Villa travelling to NZ for their tours, St Peters have been in Canberra on tour and I've heard Padua had a fairly intensive camp up at Twin Waters, before joining Eddies and Iona at the Ballymore Cup. Lauries have had a few hit outs too. I hope Pats are prepared and compeitive but there are people suggesting other wise.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Lauries seem to be playing an inordinate number of pre-season games this year - by my count they had played 5 First XV trials before heading over to NZ, with another trial v MCA to follow the tour.

It will be interesting to see if this preparation pays off, I guess it's a fine line between developing match fitness/combinations on the one hand and starting the AIC season a bit fatigued on the other.

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
It will be interesting but they are going back to what worked pre-2010 before the wheels fell off the rugby program. They also have a number of old boy coaches back in the fold to assist. Signs are promising, but not yet there just yet.

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries seem to be playing an inordinate number of pre-season games this year - by my count they had played 5 First XV trials before heading over to NZ, with another trial v MCA to follow the tour.

It will be interesting to see if this preparation pays off, I guess it's a fine line between developing match fitness/combinations on the one hand and starting the AIC season a bit fatigued on the other.

Agree its about getting the right balance so they should be like a match hardened club side mid way through a season. The good signs are they have either won or been very competitive in the trial games to date and it hard to train for the positive mindset you get from winning games. Ashgrove trial will be the real litmus test

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)

Any confirmation on a time for the trial against State High Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.