• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I really don't know why NSW Rugby bother paying lip service to the West any more. Might as well do what they have with every other competition: rationalise, consolidate with 10 clubs, start again.

I say this as someone very supportive of Parramatta Rugby, whose juniors are in the area. But there is no way the money is going to be there for Parramatta to do anything except cause the odd upset.

They might as well have promotion/relegation to Subbies First Division, and modify the amateur rules to suit.

At least it'll shut Livingstone up.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I really don't know why NSW Rugby bother paying lip service to the West any more. Might as well do what they have with every other competition: rationalise, consolidate with 10 clubs, start again.

I say this as someone very supportive of Parramatta Rugby, whose juniors are in the area. But there is no way the money is going to be there for Parramatta to do anything except cause the odd upset.

They might as well have promotion/relegation to Subbies First Division, and modify the amateur rules to suit.

At least it'll shut Livingstone up.

Only last week you were up with 10 to go against one of the NSWRU clubs.

Stick to the plan.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I couldn't believe they chose Manly v Parra for the TV game. I'm all for watching all the teams but maybe when Parra play Wests might be a bit more entertaining than a very predictable flogging at the hands of one of the competition heavyweights.
These sorts of comments come up every year.
I would have thought that regular followers of the Shute Shield would be aware that the early seasons televised programme is announced before the first round. Subsequent games to be televised are chosen on team standings.In pre season discussions regarding the likely fortunes of Parramatta & Manly for this year , this would have seemed to be a good contest.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Only last week you were up with 10 to go against one of the NSWRU clubs.

And I'm sure that will happen again. But to what end?

Sticking to the plan is great, but if your talent is just going to get snapped up after a semi-good year, what's the point?

I don't blame the guys for taking a better paycheque and big opportunities on offer at wealthier clubs, but it just relegates the West to a fucking feeding ground for sharks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And I'm sure that will happen again. But to what end?

Sticking to the plan is great, but if your talent is just going to get snapped up after a semi-good year, what's the point?

I don't blame the guys for taking a better paycheque and big opportunities on offer at wealthier clubs, but it just relegates the West to a fucking feeding ground for sharks.

Global wealthier as well at that - hurts us all.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
David Begg attended the Wicks v Uni game yesterday.

Had a brief chat with him and thanked him for standing up for the SRU and the Shute Shield. He seems to have rugby in his heart --- we need some people like him and Pappy and Simon Poidevin on the ARU instead of these corporate types IMO.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
David Begg attended the Wicks v Uni game yesterday.

Had a brief chat with him and thanked him for standing up for the SRU and the Shute Shield. He seems to have rugby in his heart --- we need some people like him and Pappy and Simon Poidevin on the ARU instead of these corporate types IMO.
He's going to be great for SRU, as you say he is in it for the love of grass roots rugby

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone know whether the NSWRU website is eventually going to include the scorers (as well as just the totals) and the player points again this year, as has been the case in previous years?

I also notice that the teams are not correct and are all over the place (ie not 1-15) in some cases.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
There were people in the off season thought Manly V Parra would be an even contest???Who the hell ever thought that??
What do you want,names?
Maybe the people who thought Parramatta had recruited well in the off season particularly in the back line , & maybe the people who thought that the alleged disharmony at Manly following the change of coaches would affect that club thought that.
No shortages in the Rugby fraternity of people who expressed similar opinions before the season began.
Perhaps you need to get out and mingle.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Have not been lucky enough to sample any yet Dave.
Round 6, since Pirates are on TV, might be the first chance for me!
Fridays fair at Norths was slightly disappointing, especially cans of VB in plastic cups for $7 a go... after a long wait to get served.
Stag burgers on Saturday were really good, and big Heineken cans for $7 were much more palatable!

Status
Not open for further replies.