• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT JRU U18 Competition & ACT Schools XV 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Another year and another season for schoolboy footy in the capital!
What are everyone's tips, teams and predictions for the season ahead regarding the competition and Nationals?
Only 5 teams this year?
Grammar are my favourites even with a touch of bias!

Liam

Frank Row (1)
Ladder Prediction:
1.Marist College
2. St. Edmunds College
3.Canberra Grammar
4.Tuggeranong Vikings
5.Daramalan College

I believe Marist College will be strong this year, not losing many instrumental players and getting up against Joeys. Whilst eddies, although maintaining most of their forward pack, lose many formidable players several being AUS representatives. This also corresponds with Daramalan College and Tuggeranong Vikings. However with the exclusion of Royals the Vikings may be stronger than first anticipated, with many boys transferring to Tuggeranong. Canberra Grammar seem to continually improve each year and with the benefit of the doubt I have them placed in third, although I won't be surprised if they end up worse.

Undoubtedly this year will be close and I don't feel there will be a blow-out unless, possibly, from Marist, considering there convincing win against GPS powerhouse St. Josephs.

All in all, there seems to be potential for this year to be a cracker and I am curious about what others think

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Grammar went on a Sydney trip and I was told played great football losing to Kings 18-3 and Shore 38-31!

Closer to home I was told Marist beat Barker 16-13 and Eddies losing 31-24! Very tight year coming up!

CarnTheBrumbies

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ladder prediction:
1. Grammar
2. Marist
3. Eddies
4. Daramalan
5. Tuggeranong Vikings

Interesting, very interesting indeed.
I still stick with my original Marist for the win, however I saw eddies game the other day. My golly gosh they're looking fit and ready to fire. Expect them lead by skipper in the front row, The Russian Prop? to dominate the forwards from other teams.
Still waiting for Radford 1st XV to maybe win the Second XV comp for once?

Apart from that I'd love to hear from the other keen Canberrans around.

Neigh

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
That schoolboys draw looks interesting. Quite a tough road through for the ACT boys but I'm sure they will find a way. I heard Taniela Tupou's younger brother is playing for QLD. I wouldn't like tackling that bohemith. Apparently he is nearly as big as his brother!!! Wow wee

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
After much deliberation I have decided that it is going to be Marist who take out this years title. Despite Grammar having a much improved side and the recruitment of a Russian forward pack by Eddies, I believe the blue and blue will once again reign supreme and return to their glory days. Led by a versatile 3 year journeyman in Tom Iles who can play multiple positions and is a force at the break down (despite always being off his feet but cleverly never getting pinged, Richie McCaw-esque some might say) and a crafty Brumbies u20s scrum half, the firepower of the Marist team is insurmountable for opposition teams. I do believe that this years title race will be an excellent one with the standatrd of schoolboy rugby in the ACT being at an exceptional all time high. I am not a betting man but if I was at my last $100 I would place $20 on the raiders 13+ over the bulldogs on Saturday night and $80 on Marist taking out the trophy followed by Eddies, Grammar, Vikings then Daramalan. I hope to hear from you all soon and look forward to further discussion as the season transpires.

CarnTheBrumbies

Frank Nicholson (4)
Led by a versatile 3 year journeyman in Tom Iles who can play multiple positions and is a force at the break down (despite always being off his feet but cleverly never getting pinged, Richie McCaw-esque some might say) .

Ah yes, I've heard all about this young lad! Goes by Sizzles I believe? probably due to his firey speed. Bright future for this young lad

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
Ah yes, I've heard all about this young lad! Goes by Sizzles I believe? probably due to his firey speed. Bright future for this young lad

Ahh at the game against Barker I heard this phrase being yelled out by the Marist faithful and was perplexed about its origin. Interesting to find out it was actually in reference to their rangey second rower who possesses tremendous speed and skills for his size. I look forward to getting down to a few games this season and supporting the big fella. Really tenacious ball runner and I agree I could see him lining up for a super rugby franchise in a few years, particularly the force or the rebels.

Liam

Frank Row (1)
Ahh at the game against Barker I heard this phrase being yelled out by the Marist faithful and was perplexed about its origin. Interesting to find out it was actually in reference to their rangey second rower who possesses tremendous speed and skills for his size. I look forward to getting down to a few games this season and supporting the big fella. Really tenacious ball runner and I agree I could see him lining up for a super rugby franchise in a few years, particularly the force or the rebels.

Im sorry but I myself was have been present at some of these games and I believe you have mistaken yourself. When paying close attention to the game and crowd, the phrase "Sizzles" was being used in a slanderous way, such as when he did a 10second step in mid-air. I can only come to the conclusion therefore that "Sizzles" is a term used to relate his gameplay to the extinguishing of a fire or spark.

In your defence however, this player that you are referring to is the only competitive second rower, although his set piece may need some improving.

I am curious however if there are any other second rower prospects within the border of ACT. I am aware of a giant at grammar, although I am lead to believe his skills aren't close to his opposite No. at Marist. Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

Liam

Frank Row (1)
This is obviously a complete stitch up and all credibility for this young fellow has now been lost. I believe the Admin for this feed should remove all of you 'hooligans' as you are demeaning the morality and purpose of this site.

Anthony Smith should take control of this feed as it is presently a 'joke of a site. The once respect I had for the second rower has been diminished, for this is obviously his and his mates rubbish that is being spewed onto this forum.

I urge Anthony to take action for if this goes on any longer the integrity and credibility of this feed will be completely lost.

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Agreed!
Let's not harp on about this anymore.

First Round I believe is Eddies vs Vikings and Marist vs Dara.
Any gossip surrounding teams or predictions

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
Good to see the authoritive administrators of this site removing that oxygen thief's comments. It is a shame that informative conversations can be tarnished by such disgraceful comments. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the first round of the season and I am still sticking with my prediction of Marist coming away with the chocolates. I will be posting a review of the first ACT schoolboys trials on Sunday so everyone stay tuned.

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
Hello my fellow forum members,
I did not post a review of the schoolboys trials and will instead only be reviewing the announcement of the final squad.
However, at Marist's number 1 oval today I witnessed a clinic which I will review. The mighty blue and blue overcame a determined Daramalan outfit to come away 36-0 victors. A double from Marist's fullback Lincoln Smith as well as tries from Rory Scott and the Korean import led to a blowout victory for the Homeside. The Marist home fans seemed pretty unenthusiastic until the Daramalan captain began to be a grub and was then laid out by flanker, Aidan Lloyd. Lloyd received a yellow card for the act but the home fans were in raptures in the stands, the call of "Bring back the biff" reverberating through the college. As the game came to a close, Jack Houston took the kicking duties for Marist. Despite the home fans sprinkling fairy dust on him, his conversion attempt from the sideline came off the side of the boot and did not even make it across the 22m line. Aside from this minor indescretion, Houston's performance was admirable. Overall, this was a great game and has solidified my opinion that Marist will take out this years trophy. If I were to do a 3,2,1 vote (3 being the highest) I would vote:
3.Aidan Lloyd
2.Aidan Lloyd
1.Aidan Lloyd
BRING BACK THE BIFF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.