• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thought Wests really should have won yesterday. They led by about 8 points with about 10 mins to go before the Gallopers scored two very late tries, one of them being a push-over after the siren. A bit heart breaking for the Dogs.

Brothers vs Uni next week. On current form, you would be forgiven for saying that Uni are the strong favourites for this one. Brothers haven't been playing to their usual ability of late, but hopefully that changes for this coming weekend.

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
If wests could field that team week in week out they would be around the top four. Fuck that was a hard game but good to get the win

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thought Wests really should have won yesterday. They led by about 8 points with about 10 mins to go before the Gallopers scored two very late tries, one of them being a push-over after the siren. A bit heart breaking for the Dogs.

I only caught the second half and Wests looked like they definitely had GPS on the ropes for a while. The scrum really saved the day in the end. The winning try was actually a penalty try, it came after about 3 scrum infringement penalties to GPS who just kept re-packing. Great to see some real grunt up front.

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
First half we were clearly dominant and most the second half wests came back and had us on the ropes until last 15mins we came back. The ref actually reffed the scrums the best ive seen this year from any ref we have had.

Chapo

Bob McCowan (2)
Paty305 - You clearly haven't thought through your comments too well mate.

"tell Sunnybank to get out of Logan" - interesting concept. Are we going to set boundaries for where players can play and tell them that if they live in a certain area, they have to play for the nearest club - like the State School 'nearest school' system? That would set an interesting precedent. Imagine what would happen at GPS vis a vis Wests - or Bothers vis a vis Norths. That sounds like anti competitive conduct to me! Players have a choice where they play. Good on any club that sets up their program such that people want to travel to play for them and which gets out there and recruits well.

As to your comment regarding Sunnybank flashing around cheaper than usual fees - If they are (and I don't know) how is that a bad thing? We all should be making Rugby as accessible as possible given its current state in this country. Sunnybank has done well. They set themselves up financially a long time ago. They have used their financial security to set up an awesome rugby program and, if they do so, to minimise/subsidise fees so that Rugby is accessible to those who can't afford to otherwise play. Fees at some clubs are $600. That is simply not affordable for many (including many Premier Grade players). Especially so in the socio economic areas that Sunnybank draws from.

Your comment also infers that the only reason Sunnybank draws those players (potentially away from Logan) is because they offer reduced fees. That ignorantly ignores the fact that Sunnybank has invested an enormous amount of time and energy (and money) in developing one of the best rugby programs in the country (and the best in Qld). They offer genuine development pathways for women, referees, 7's and 15's rugby. Wherever a kid might want to go in Rugby, Sunnybank offers and plans a pathway. That is a very big part of why they recruit so strongly in Colts (and no, Sunnybank do not pay players).

You also forget that 30 years ago Sunnybank was cast into premier rugby with little support from anyone lest other clubs. Do you think Souths stayed out of Sunnybank's territory? I can assure you they didn't. They had more players from the sunnybank area in those days than sunnybank did. Sunnybank fought every inch of the way for what they have and they have worked very hard to develop every aspect of a really successful club. They don't deserve the kind of tripe you dish up. Perhaps instead the appropriate attitude is 'fair play Sunnybank, lets use that as a blueprint for logan'.

As to logan, I personally think they will always struggle until they get their off field systems sorted out and I think promoting them to Premier Rugby next year would be counter productive. They will be pumped by 100 every week and they would be gone within a few years. That kind of leap is a lot more difficult in the current rugby environment and in the world at large.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Paty305 - You clearly haven't thought through your comments too well mate.

"tell Sunnybank to get out of Logan" - interesting concept. Are we going to set boundaries for where players can play and tell them that if they live in a certain area, they have to play for the nearest club - like the State School 'nearest school' system? That would set an interesting precedent. Imagine what would happen at GPS vis a vis Wests - or Bothers vis a vis Norths. That sounds like anti competitive conduct to me! Players have a choice where they play. Good on any club that sets up their program such that people want to travel to play for them and which gets out there and recruits well.

As to your comment regarding Sunnybank flashing around cheaper than usual fees - If they are (and I don't know) how is that a bad thing? We all should be making Rugby as accessible as possible given its current state in this country. Sunnybank has done well. They set themselves up financially a long time ago. They have used their financial security to set up an awesome rugby program and, if they do so, to minimise/subsidise fees so that Rugby is accessible to those who can't afford to otherwise play. Fees at some clubs are $600. That is simply not affordable for many (including many Premier Grade players). Especially so in the socio economic areas that Sunnybank draws from.

Your comment also infers that the only reason Sunnybank draws those players (potentially away from Logan) is because they offer reduced fees. That ignorantly ignores the fact that Sunnybank has invested an enormous amount of time and energy (and money) in developing one of the best rugby programs in the country (and the best in Qld). They offer genuine development pathways for women, referees, 7's and 15's rugby. Wherever a kid might want to go in Rugby, Sunnybank offers and plans a pathway. That is a very big part of why they recruit so strongly in Colts (and no, Sunnybank do not pay players).

You also forget that 30 years ago Sunnybank was cast into premier rugby with little support from anyone lest other clubs. Do you think Souths stayed out of Sunnybank's territory? I can assure you they didn't. They had more players from the sunnybank area in those days than sunnybank did. Sunnybank fought every inch of the way for what they have and they have worked very hard to develop every aspect of a really successful club. They don't deserve the kind of tripe you dish up. Perhaps instead the appropriate attitude is 'fair play Sunnybank, lets use that as a blueprint for logan'.

As to logan, I personally think they will always struggle until they get their off field systems sorted out and I think promoting them to Premier Rugby next year would be counter productive. They will be pumped by 100 every week and they would be gone within a few years. That kind of leap is a lot more difficult in the current rugby environment and in the world at large.

Sunnybank is an economic and rugby powerhouse due to being very well run and the establishment of the sporting club helped them with that step up, and I'm sure there was plenty of struggles at the start. I have never had anything bad to say about a club making themselves self suffiecient. However I was just offering options for how to deal with Logan, which I feel is in unique circumstances due to being promoted to Premier Rugby in an era where Rugby is struggling and the establishment of a sporting club probably not being an option.The only problem I had with certain individuals at Sunnybank, was hearing about the vague promises to players (some of whom I have known for many years) being told that they would play Prems if they left Logan and took the option for cheaper fees (which wasn't offered to incumbent players) only to be stuck in 1st or 2nd Grade. And yes I know Sunnybank don't pay players, I've seen overviews of the declarations which were all pretty much identical.

Now when it comes to Logan, chucking them into Prems to sink or swim next year is highly counterproductive and would do more harm than good. I would much rather them having some subsidised Colts program (with players from local schools) of some sort for a few years before returning to Reserve Grade and then Prems, maybe with partnerships with some Gold Coast and Subbies clubs like Coomera, Helensvale, Redlands etc. They have a massive Juniors base and potential to become a powerhouse if their rugby department is managed correctly. It's something that my club had to fix, and my only wish is that Logan would listen and learn to build from what other clubs have learnt, and who are willing to lend a hand.

People can rail against me for my opinions, but all I want rugby to succeed in all areas, and I feel a discussion is needed to ensure that we have as many Prem, Grades and Subbies clubs as possible to ensure a pathway is available for all ages & abilities to be able to play.

underthesticks

Bob McCowan (2)
Fantastic game at Yoku on Saturday. Wests were very good, tough way to lose. GPS seem formidable this year, love watching that scrum.

Where's Luke Beauchamp been this year for Brothers? Injured?

Reactions: gws

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Now when it comes to Logan, chucking them into Prems to sink or swim next year is highly counterproductive and would do more harm than good.

Logan moved heaven and earth to get their clubhouse up to scratch. Once the built that magnificent facility there had been promises for nearly a decade about them being included in the competition and from seasons previously we've seen the bullshit Queensland Rugby politics why they can't be included in the comp.

THE TIME IS NOW.. Let Logan join premier rugby, take their lumps and the only way is up.

Once they are included in premier comp i expect their recruiting practices to see an uptick and a formidable squad rolled out.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Logan moved heaven and earth to get their clubhouse up to scratch. Once the built that magnificent facility there had been promises for nearly a decade about them being included in the competition and from seasons previously we've seen the bullshit Queensland Rugby politics why they can't be included in the comp.

THE TIME IS NOW.. Let Logan join premier rugby, take their lumps and the only way is up.

Once they are included in premier comp i expect their recruiting practices to see an uptick and a formidable squad rolled out.
There would be plenty of reserve graders and 1st graders at other clubs keen to get on the big stage.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There would be plenty of reserve graders and 1st graders at other clubs keen to get on the big stage.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Spot on TGB. They may have barely 2 teams now but bring in a genuine pathway with a premier grade side and watch people come to Logan. Watch recruiting become a whole lot easier with the enticement of playing Premier Grade finally an option. Watch Sef Fa'agese pull some strings and get some players off his own bat. I say bring them in and let them sink or swim,only one way to find out.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They have really good facilities at Logan. I think they deserve a chance. The key will be who the Premier coach might be if they are given the spot in the comp. They need to use Fa'agese to help with recruitment and grab a few other juniors who have had to go elsewhere to play at a higher level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
They have really good facilities at Logan. I think they deserve a chance. The key will be who the Premier coach might be if they are given the spot in the comp. They need to use Fa'agese to help with recruitment and grab a few other juniors who have had to go elsewhere to play at a higher level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah key would be to get a good coach and someone to do some solid recruiting and solid sponsors. Def a lot of talent and wasted talent around logan area would be good for them to finally have a crack at prems. A lot of work to do though.... finger crossed for them

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The last 3 clubs admitted to the A grade/Premier grade Hospital Cup Competition have been Sunnybank, GC Breakers & SC Stingrays - of these 3 only Sunnybank evolved into a club competing in all senior & colts grades.

I am just thinking outside the box here but I seriously believe that a merged Bond/Logan footy club competing in every grade should be the first step to a stand alone Logan club competing in Premier Rugby.

Exist as a proper JV club for 4 years playing in Premier grade and all other grades then in the 5th year aim to have Logan sides in Res-2nd grade, Prem Colts & Colts 1 then depending on performance in Reserve grade admission to Premier grade in the 6th or 7th year.

The QRU need to get involved and not only make it happen but it needs to be successful(i.e. competitive) and sustainable competing in every grade.

This is about growing and sustaining the game in Queensland but we don't want another Stingrays it needs to be a senior & junior club attracting the local lads/girls who aspire to play seniors at the Saints and beyond.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Nope. Let Logan in. No mergers

They built a clubhouse for this moment.

How would you feel bulldog that sylvan road built that magnificent clubhouse but then some QRU corporate wig told you your beloved bulldogs would be playing at St Lucia under the heavies moniker?

Reactions: gws

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
SX - yes no thanks to the Heavy Bulldogs but my point is that I believe that clubs competing in QPR should be able to field teams in all Doughty Shield grades - quite simply Bond and Logan don't, haven't & are not likely to do so in the near future.

The QRU should be endeavouring to foster both these clubs - surely the demographics in both regions could support two sustainable clubs(I.e. Not just Prem sides) lets develop rugby in these regions.

Look JV are never overly pleasant and clearly not the preferred course of action but if it could advance the sustainability of these clubs then it's worth pursuing. What has been done at Breakers/Bond or at the Saints hasn't delivered clubs that play all grades.

Let's work on a new approach because otherwise we will have another Stingrays on our hands and it's not as if the ARU/QRU have a lot of spare cash to throw at Logan or the Gold Coast.

T

TOCC

The last 3 clubs admitted to the A grade/Premier grade Hospital Cup Competition have been Sunnybank, GC Breakers & SC Stingrays - of these 3 only Sunnybank evolved into a club competing in all senior & colts grades.

I am just thinking outside the box here but I seriously believe that a merged Bond/Logan footy club competing in every grade should be the first step to a stand alone Logan club competing in Premier Rugby.

Exist as a proper JV club for 4 years playing in Premier grade and all other grades then in the 5th year aim to have Logan sides in Res-2nd grade, Prem Colts & Colts 1 then depending on performance in Reserve grade admission to Premier grade in the 6th or 7th year.

The QRU need to get involved and not only make it happen but it needs to be successful(i.e. competitive) and sustainable competing in every grade.

This is about growing and sustaining the game in Queensland but we don't want another Stingrays it needs to be a senior & junior club attracting the local lads/girls who aspire to play seniors at the Saints and beyond.

Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast didn't represent in all colts grades because Permier Rugby is Premier Grade, Premier Reserve and Premier Colts... Colts 1 and Colts 2 and all the other grades fall under Brisbane Rugby Competition. Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast have their own rugby comps as they are the district union representing the region..Sunnybank is part of Brisbane, thus represents in all Brisbane grades. However in saying that, there are quite a few Premier Clubs which don't have enough teams to represent in all Colts grades.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
SX - yes no thanks to the Heavy Bulldogs but my point is that I believe that clubs competing in QPR should be able to field teams in all Doughty Shield grades - quite simply Bond and Logan don't, haven't & are not likely to do so in the near future.

The QRU should be endeavouring to foster both these clubs - surely the demographics in both regions could support two sustainable clubs(I.e. Not just Prem sides) lets develop rugby in these regions.

Look JV are never overly pleasant and clearly not the preferred course of action but if it could advance the sustainability of these clubs then it's worth pursuing. What has been done at Breakers/Bond or at the Saints hasn't delivered clubs that play all grades.

Let's work on a new approach because otherwise we will have another Stingrays on our hands and it's not as if the ARU/QRU have a lot of spare cash to throw at Logan or the Gold Coast.

Ok fine. lets kick Norths out then for not having 3rd/4th grades.

I am arguing against this idea simply because

1).Logan made the investment in the facility,
2) the cattle #'s increases when they are allowed to play on premier ranch
3) this game is already being run by a bunch of dbag suits and ties whether thats the QRU board or Bill Pulver & his henchmen down in Sydney. I don't see this as a Logan centric problem with lack of teams but rather the grassroots strategy of growing the game of rugby being mothballed so that the corporate wigs can focus on their own individual wages & bonuses ect. (I would rather QRU continue their path for the inclusion of the Saints into premier competition & give them the required support <which looks like they are doing> rather then overreact to what a bunch of pundits are saying on the G&Gforums)

Sorry bulldog I know you mean well. I just have strong feelings on the Saints finally getting their chance & embracing the opportunity.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Ok fine. lets kick Norths out then for not having 3rd/4th grades. (They have 3rd & 4th Grade)

I am arguing against this idea simply because

1).Logan made the investment in the facility,
Except they they didn't, unlike Wests who took on debt to make sure they had their new facilty. The Logan facilty cost $4.5M. They recieved $3M from Logan Council, $1.5M from the State, with Logan Council paying for maintainance at a downward yearly rate (1st year 100%, 2nd year less, etc. down to nothing in the near future.)
2) the cattle #'s increases when they are allowed to play on premier ranch
Norths have been apart of Premier Rugby for 60 years. They've struggled for 35. Not once did the number of talented players go skyrocketedly up, until the last 3 years. They had to put shitloads of money into the program and go physically to players all over Brisbane to ensure that they were able to put out 6 Grades and 2 Colts sides. Its taken 35 years, to finally look like a functional club and Norths never only had 2 grades and no colts.
3) this game is already being run by a bunch of dbag suits and ties whether thats the QRU board or Bill Pulver & his henchmen down in Sydney. I don't see this as a Logan centric problem with lack of teams but rather the grassroots strategy of growing the game of rugby being mothballed so that the corporate wigs can focus on their own individual wages & bonuses ect. (I would rather QRU continue their path for the inclusion of the Saints into premier competition & give them the required support <which looks like they are doing> rather then overreact to what a bunch of pundits are saying on the G&Gforums)
I agree that more time and effort needs to be put into areas like Logan, Ipswich and Caboolture, those are three areas that should be super strong in terms of Rugby, but have been pretty much ignored. That being said a huge uptake of Juniors and Colts needs to happen before I feel they can even be competitive. Premier Rugby costs can be f***ing astronomical in terms of medical, running the grounds and just random shit that happens. The thing is Caboolture I reckon could put together a decent regional side with Redcliffe, North Lakes & the Boars, that would be competitive and have money behind it, from the Cab Sports clubs.

Sorry bulldog I know you mean well. I just have strong feelings on the Saints finally getting their chance & embracing the opportunity.
Saints need to really buckle down and show that they can do it, or it will end a failure with Queensland rugby losing a proper working class club, and god knows we need shitloads more of them. We've already lost Springfield this year and I don't want another gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.