• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I love the idea of games available locally but another platform to show the other games. For me it's a win/win, it provides access to all for the team they are most likely to follow but also builds interest and rusted on fans that might be interested in paying for more content on a subscription service (e.g. Foxtel)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I love the idea of games available locally but another platform to show the other games. For me it's a win/win, it provides access to all for the team they are most likely to follow but also builds interest and rusted on fans that might be interested in paying for more content on a subscription service (e.g. Foxtel)

Yeah, I like it as well. Wouldn't mind it if we had a similar set up here.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh channel 10 for example showing only reds in qld, etc. it doesn't over expose the product as well and allows them in the different market to identify and target a unique audience.

pooch

Frank Row (1)
USA Rugby announces partnership with Adidas

LAFAYETTE, Colo. - USA Rugby, the national governing body for rugby in the United States, and adidas today announced a multi-year partnership in which the Portland, Oregon based company will be the official kit supplier for USA National Teams and representative teams.
"We are extremely proud to partner with adidas and offer our athletes the best athletic apparel possible," said David Sternberg, CEO of USA Rugby's commercial arm Rugby International Marketing. "adidas is a world-renowned brand that supplies kits to some of the most successful athletes and teams in the world. Adding a partner of their stature is further proof of rugby's growth in the United States and around the world."
With the new multi-year deal, adidas will be the primary creator and outfitter of all team training and competition apparel for USA Rugby. Additionally, Age-grade teams and representative sides such as the Collegiate All-Americans and Falcons, respectively, will also be outfitted with adidas branded kits.

Read more: https://www.usarugby.org/2017/04/usa-rugby-to-partner-with-adidas-in-new-multi-year-agreement/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A Victorian kid:
By 12 years of age Daniel was already six feet tall - 1.8m - and 100 kilograms.

He used to play junior rugby union, but quit the sport because he hated injuring opposition players when he tackled them. On one occasion the opposing parents even pulled him from the field accusing him of being too old."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/austral...ext-big-thing-in-the-nfl-20170413-gvkgjg.html

I know of another 3 16/17 year olds that are currently being tracked as well. All close to his size. I think it will be something we're going to see more and more of to be honest.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Anyway, in regards to the MLR in the US. The 10th club side set to join is said to be Metropolis from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Still some murmurs regarding another possible two East Coast clubs but nothing solid as yet.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently the MLR has also recieved strong interest from groups from San Diego, Vancouver, Atlanta, Boston and Miami. They may not be ready for the first season but they appear to be lousy with expansion opportunities when they deemed themselves ready.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Apparently the MLR has also recieved strong interest from groups from San Diego, Vancouver, Atlanta, Boston and Miami. They may not be ready for the first season but they appear to be lousy with expansion opportunities when they deemed themselves ready.

Miami may be in play. Early rumblings and they could be connected to Bordeaux Begles.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Hans Pieter-Wild who is the billionaire backer of German Rugby is rumoured to be in talks to buy Stade Francais.

The DRV /Wild rugby academy are being very tight lipped on this.. no official statement from them. If this does come to fruition that would be huge for german rugby having a "linked" club like that.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Will it be fully professional or semi-pro to begin with? And how long will it go for?

They plan on having 25 full time 'professionals' per team. Not too sure as to how much they will be paid but at least as much as in PRO Rugby which was $25,000 a season. Another 10 places will be 'semi-pro' based on match payments.

As for length. The want to wrap it up in time for the June internationals. I reckon we'll see a 12-14 game regular season to start with two week of finals for 16 weeks in total. As more teams join and we see the June window move to July I can see it move to 18 weeks in season plus finals.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They plan on having 25 full time 'professionals' per team. Not too sure as to how much they will be paid but at least as much as in PRO Rugby which was $25,000 a season. Another 10 places will be 'semi-pro' based on match payments.

As for length. The want to wrap it up in time for the June internationals. I reckon we'll see a 12-14 game regular season to start with two week of finals for 16 weeks in total. As more teams join and we see the June window move to July I can see it move to 18 weeks in season plus finals.

Fingers crossed it works out a lot better than PRO!

Seems like the structure is better anyway, not relying on a single person.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fingers crossed it works out a lot better than PRO!

Seems like the structure is better anyway, not relying on a single person.

There's a lot more money and sports business expertise in this organisation than there was in PRO.

First of all, in order to participate groups need to buy in to the MLR. Which I have read costs about $250k. Then they have to meet a rather strict set of criteria around financial sustainability, facilities, broadcast, promotion and youth development. Not just elite development thought that will occur with all participating org. required to run a U20s program. But right across the game. This is the reason they are on launching with 9 teams instead of 10 in 2018. Chicagp has had to push back their launch to 2019 to ,eet these obligations. But they are quite far down that road already.

In terms of expertise they have brought on a bloke by the name of Dean Howes who has a background in sports development most notably in the MLS which is the model the MLR are using. He's the bloke who saw Real Salt Lake enter the MLS and the building of their stadium. He also has experience with the St Lousi Blue Jays from the NHL.

The League will be based out of Salt Lake City (tax breaks and subsidies) and will have teams from Utah, Colorado, Texas (x3), Minnesota, Missouri, Washington and Louisiana.