• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Villa wont trouble anyone of the top teams. That ship has long sailed. They wont be able to trouble Padua or Marist who will put 25+ on this team prior to taking the field.
The big games to go are Marist v Pats, SLC v Marist, Pats v Padua, Padua v SLC. Any talk of AIC reps outside that 4 is hopefull. Villa may have had potential but in reality they dont have it in 2017.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Villa wont trouble anyone of the top teams. That ship has long sailed. They wont be able to trouble Padua or Marist who will put 25+ on this team prior to taking the field.
The big games to go are Marist v Pats, SLC v Marist, Pats v Padua, Padua v SLC. Any talk of AIC reps outside that 4 is hopefull. Villa may have had potential but in reality they dont have it in 2017.

You may be correct about that but in my view if you only look at the more successful schools for the AIC team the selectors will just be being lazy. There is some talent in those teams but they should not be penalised by the talent around them. The back three for SPLC for example. The Villa centres are quite good I have not seen the rest. No doubt the AIC teams will as usual be dominated by the usual suspects with School and or club allegiances leading the way.

Scrum doctor

Bob McCowan (2)
Okay time to put an issue to bed.
Before more boys with nothing better to do in class than talk utter garbage on here let's get one thing straight.

There are no AIC "selectors" for the rep team. The coaches come together before the seasons end and put players forward for each position before finally voting on these players if not one clear standout appears.

So get back to reading Macbeth or whatever it is your meant to be doing in class.

Rant over

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Before more boys with nothing better to do in class than talk utter garbage on here let's get one thing straight.

There are no AIC "selectors" for the rep team. The coaches come together before the seasons end and put players forward for each position before finally voting on these players if not one clear standout appears.

So get back to reading Macbeth or whatever it is your meant to be doing in class.

Rant over

Sorry mate I call bullshit. I have seen selections been at AIC and BJRU level for five years and it has always been the same pick the big fat kid with few skills and less workrate as he is at my school/club or whatever.

I expect nothing different this time.

My Rant over

Stan Wickham (3)

Rant over

100% correct mate! all coaches get together and put forward their players they believe are AIC worthy.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sorry mate I call bullshit. I have seen selections been at AIC and BJRU level for five years and it has always been the same pick the big fat kid with few skills and less workrate as he is at my school/club or whatever.

My Rant over

Misinformed I'm afraid, the coaches do come together and as previously stated they vote on players put forward, some coaches throw their weight around more than others, the voting comes down to which school will support who, the credibility of each coach within the AIC circles and ultimately how each team has performed throughout the season. Talking to Ashgrove staff about last years meeting and a few of the lesser performed teams tried to nominate nearly 10 players, doesn't do much for credibility or the cases of players with genuine chances. Club rugby has absolutely nothing to do with it. QLD schoolboy officials may throw their opinion in, which is fair, given they are the QLD schoolboy trials after all. Who are the AIC coaches this year? Pats, Lauries and Padua coach I think from last year I recall?

Reactions: Vik

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)

My Rant over

Misinformed I'm afraid, the coaches do come together and as previously stated they vote on players put forward, some coaches throw their weight around more than others, the voting comes down to which school will support who, the credibility of each coach within the AIC circles and ultimately how each team has performed throughout the season. Talking to Ashgrove staff about last years meeting and a few of the lesser performed teams tried to nominate nearly 10 players, doesn't do much for credibility or the cases of players with genuine chances. Club rugby has absolutely nothing to do with it. QLD schoolboy officials may throw their opinion in, which is fair, given they are the QLD schoolboy trials after all. Who are the AIC coaches this year? Pats, Lauries and Padua coach I think from last year I recall?
Yes in agreement with above comments - basically because they are true. The AIC team coaches have a fair say as to who they want - and that's as it should be. Although I don't see anything wrong with 1sts coaches nominating their players. The issue is I am not always sure that those AIC coaches have a good look at other players in the other teams. The point about "being a good player" in a team not performing well is real and , in my view , is not taken into account enough. On the other hand sticking with combinations that are successful is important when picking a rep side.

Anyway the good news overall is that , as I said in a earlier post, that the traditional cellar dweller teams are a lot more competitive this year and that is good for the competition. Even , as we all expect , with Ash and Padua dominating the high flyer ranks (potentially Pats as well) those standout players from the lower ranked teams should at least be considered and in the mix

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
That is very true - if a little harsh - I agree Villa will struggle against Padua and Ash but if those sides don't have the right mindset going onto the paddock they may be surprised. Expect them both to win but I don't think those games will be easy for them. You are right about the ship sailing however. Villa had potential and just couldn't work out how to win games from a lead.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone want to have a stab at theoretic " all AIC " Teams in the U16 and U15 year levels to get a look see on what's coming through the AIC ranks over the next 2 years ?

QLD Scout

Frank Row (1)
Would be interesting to see if the coaches from each school would change the boys they put forward for AIC at the start of the season compared to the end.

Selectors I think would be a much smarter way of choosing the AIC team and having a head coach which isn't affiliated with any school.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
The padua centre is a sure thing for AIC if fit. I think he is NRL bound in 2018, an exceptional talent.
There are some sure things for AIC from what I can gather:
The boys in the u18 Qld dev squad and I cant remember who they all are but MCA 15 & Prop, St Pats 8 are in it.
MCA 7, 2, 9 and 10 will also be named.
SLC 15 who is a Qld 7s rep and stood up this year will be there. SLC 9 will get a spot.
Padua will have a few including young second rower and the NRL bound unit.
St Pats will have a few but the 8 and capt is the standout.
Peters Eddies Villa and Iona may get 1 each. Team form will influence that. Hard to stand out against the top teams when going backwards and getting 50 put on you.

James White

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone have any news on any of the 2nd XV scores from the weekend? I heard Ashgrove beat St. Peter's 110-0. Which really does question peters place within the AIC in the next couple of years , as they struggle to put one team for each age group and the teams they produce are not of an AIC standard.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Move the seasons to align with GPS and make soccer a term 2 sport, Rugby term 3. More kids will play both sports, better utilisation of fields. Big schools can play lower grades against GT, NC etc.
Bring in Downlands. lots of options.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
A review is taking place currently with changes to be implemented in 2019. Separate soccer and rugby and align the seasons with the GPS to also assist the supplementary draws and enable trials to occur against GPS schools again. Have all teams from yr5-12 play at home instead of the current system where younger grades play away.

Cuffey

Frank Row (1)
Most of the Ash 2nds would get a run in any other 1sts team, like you say SPLC have limited depth, but they still beat Ash in 7 & 8As, 16A's were competitive despite handing up 8 players to opens, not to AIC standard eh James whats your agenda? Iona 26 Padua 5, Villa 12 SEC 10 SLC beat SPC

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
The padua centre is a sure thing for AIC if fit. I think he is NRL bound in 2018, an exceptional talent.
There are some sure things for AIC from what I can gather:
The boys in the u18 Qld dev squad and I cant remember who they all are but MCA 15 & Prop, St Pats 8 are in it.
MCA 7, 2, 9 and 10 will also be named.
SLC 15 who is a Qld 7s rep and stood up this year will be there. SLC 9 will get a spot.
Padua will have a few including young second rower and the NRL bound unit.
St Pats will have a few but the 8 and capt is the standout.
Peters Eddies Villa and Iona may get 1 each. Team form will influence that. Hard to stand out against the top teams when going backwards and getting 50 put on you.

I have only seen the Lauries games so my view is limited having not seen the either Padua or Iona and apart from Lauries a one game sample of the rest.
1 ASH Prop Emosi
2 SLC Hooker,
3 SLC Tighthead
4 ASH Lock
5 SLC 8 but a better lock
6 Villa Kid player 6 or 8
7 Ashgrove Kid Very good over ball and a good ball runner
8 SLC playing 7 but a better 8
9 SLC 3rd Year at First XV
10 Ash
11 One of the SPLC wingers
12 Villa Centre
13 St Pats
14 Ash Winger Fijian
15 SLC

16 St Pats Hooker
17 Villa Looshead
18 St Pats Tighthead
19 Ash Number 6
20 St Pats Number 8
21 Ash Halfback
22 SLC Flyhalf
23 Outside Back Not sure

Will be interesting to see the final outcome as almost everyone posting will have a different opinion.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
A review is taking place currently with changes to be implemented in 2019. Separate soccer and rugby and align the seasons with the GPS to also assist the supplementary draws and enable trials to occur against GPS schools again. Have all teams from yr5-12 play at home instead of the current system where younger grades play away.

Is there any plans for Ambrose Tracey to join AIC? They are only a couple of years away from having year 12s i think.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
1. Villa 3
2. MCA 2
3. MCA 3
4. MCA 4
5. MCA 5
6. Villa 6
7. MCA 7
8. Pats 8
9. MCA 9
10. Padua 2nds 10
11. Jury is still out
12. Padua 12
13. Padua 13
14. Jury is still out
15. SLC 15

Maybe one of the Lauries guys in the wing spots ...hard to tell . They don't move the ball that well through the line ( not from what I've seen anyway )

Disclaimer : I haven't seen Iona or St Ed's yet

Status
Not open for further replies.