• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
checking MySchools web site which breaks down income sources, latest data is for 2015:
Knox: 84% fees, 10% govt grants; 6% other private sources - some of which might be donations from Old Boys among a bunch of other things.
St Josephs College 7% Other Private Sources & the rest:
Kings 4%, Trinity 5%, Barker 5%, Cranbrook 3%; Waverley 7%; Aloys 11%; Newington 5%; Scots 10%; Riverview 5% ..

No way to tell how much if any of Other Private Sources is donations from old boys. Is correct to say that the vast bulk of school costs are covered by tuition fees ..

Rugbyfan14,

Wow man impressive stat re-con.

On a smaller scale but it still adds up, are all the donations given at gala events like school cricket/rugby etc presentation nights eg all grog for 300 people on sale given as free from a parent, silent auction material etc.
There are many of these events all year round,every year, and they all add up!

This is in addition to special fund raising events.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Weekend predictions:

Knox v Scots @ Scots
It will be a tough ask for the boys in black and blue this weekend. Meeting a Scots outfit that likely learnt a lot from their loss a couple of weeks ago to Joeys. They have players returning from injury as well and appear to be preparing to take it to the next level. Knox will be disappointed with their discipline from the Newington game, but happy knowing the final score didn't show just how competitive they were all day.

It will be a tight one, but likely Scots by a small margin. If Knox has all their players back from injury this scoreline could flip the other way though.

Waves v New @ QP
Waverley will be confident after a win that made headline news in the land of Green and Gold, but will be brought back down to Earth with a physical and powerful Newington team that will take advantage of the loss of some key Waverley personnel out of the game last week.

Waverley won't have the dominance at the set piece with both of Waverleys front rowers likely out for the clash and will find it hard to go through the middle as they have done in the previous weeks.

Newington to win by 2 tries

Barker v Joeys 3rds @ Barker
A tough one to pick. Joeys thirds playing a very different style of rugby than most teams. Electing to literally run through the middle of entire teams, as quickly as possible. Barker will be looking to bounce back, especially to make a name for themselves in the CAS comp for 2017. But joeys will again prove their depth with a 5-10 point win.

Aloys v Brook @ Brook
Aloys by at least 30. It's a rebuilding year for the boys at Cranbrook, it will be a tough CAS Comp for them in 2017. They need to blood some young talent and play some of their exceptional 16's players in the firsts side.

Trinity v Grammar @ Weigall
I'm not sure if this is a genuine match up. For Grammars sake, I hope this is false.

W88,

I am led to believe that Finn Wright will NOT play, which is a major SET BACK for the Waves.
Both Front rowers being out.

Given this and the impending heavy rain forecast, which I would think will suit the NEW style of rugby more than the Waves, it will be tough for Waverley.

But all things being equal, should be perhaps one of the best games in both the GPS and CAS seasons!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
In a private conversation with Lee. Start one with him

Lee has contacted me before, and I did reply to him, in the positive, but haven't heard from him since, very happy to hear from him again.

This tape disintegrates in 10 seconds.

S

sidelineview

Lee has contacted me before, and I did reply to him, in the positive, but haven't heard from him since, very happy to hear from him again.

This tape disintegrates in 10 seconds.

He said he hasnt heard from you. This could be the work of KAOS.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
quote="sidelineview, post: 934117, member: 20547"]He said he hasnt heard from you. This could be the work of KAOS.[/quote]

LEE sent me a text and I responded in the affirmative, so not sure why, maybe the claaaaw or hymee or Zigfried got in the way.

Anyway if he tries again I will respond.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
You have to make rugby a desirable option. Put some CAS or CAS vs GPS matches as opening matches to Super Rugby or Internationals.

"Those were the days my friend
I thought they'd never end..."
Oh yes, the early start with lots of schoolmates, friends and family at a big ground. The spirit of rugby oozing through all supporters which translated into enthusiasm for the Super/Internationals.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Weekend predictions:

Knox v Scots @ Scots
It will be a tough ask for the boys in black and blue this weekend. Meeting a Scots outfit that likely learnt a lot from their loss a couple of weeks ago to Joeys. They have players returning from injury as well and appear to be preparing to take it to the next level. Knox will be disappointed with their discipline from the Newington game, but happy knowing the final score didn't show just how competitive they were all day.

It will be a tight one, but likely Scots by a small margin. If Knox has all their players back from injury this scoreline could flip the other way though.

Waves v New @ QP
Waverley will be confident after a win that made headline news in the land of Green and Gold, but will be brought back down to Earth with a physical and powerful Newington team that will take advantage of the loss of some key Waverley personnel out of the game last week.

Waverley won't have the dominance at the set piece with both of Waverleys front rowers likely out for the clash and will find it hard to go through the middle as they have done in the previous weeks.

Newington to win by 2 tries

Barker v Joeys 3rds @ Barker
A tough one to pick. Joeys thirds playing a very different style of rugby than most teams. Electing to literally run through the middle of entire teams, as quickly as possible. Barker will be looking to bounce back, especially to make a name for themselves in the CAS comp for 2017. But joeys will again prove their depth with a 5-10 point win.

Aloys v Brook @ Brook
Aloys by at least 30. It's a rebuilding year for the boys at Cranbrook, it will be a tough CAS Comp for them in 2017. They need to blood some young talent and play some of their exceptional 16's players in the firsts side.

Trinity v Grammar @ Weigall
I'm not sure if this is a genuine match up. For Grammars sake, I hope this is false.

Great summary W88.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
From a posting on the ISA stream. Anyone hear of this?

"Some interesting news came my way yesterday. Earlier this week there was a big meeting between the ISA, GPS, and the CAS. They met to discuss a proposal to have a combined schools rugby competition to replace the regular ISA, GPS, and CAS competitions (that's 28 schools if you include ISA Division 2).

ISA and CAS thought it a good idea, but GPS was having none of it. I have my own opinions as to why GPS wants to isolate its schools from a combined comp."

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
Waves vs New

This game will be a great game to watch. The style that both teams play is very close to eachother as both teams have powerful big hitting forwards which look for contact and can make line breaks due to brute force. The likes of Finn Wright, Liam Cornish and Luca Moretti for waverley will be the damaging runners for the team. But with Finn Wright out this week, it will mean that the pick and drives off the ruck will be lacking the force required to bash through Newington's sizeable forward pack. Both teams use the tactic of 'get in the oppositions head'. This has worked for both teams in the past, and it will be interesting to see how either team respond to this. Both teams show huge amounts of aggression towards their opponent, so this will be an awesome game to watch and full of big hits. Although Newington seem like they will become victorious, they won't have experienced the atmosphere of the Waverley boys at Death Valley, I think this could be a turning point for the game and i think that this will probably bring the margin down quite close. I think that if waverley bring the mongrel that they always do, they will be in with a chance.

My prediction, Newington by 3

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Waves vs New

This game will be a great game to watch. The style that both teams play is very close to eachother as both teams have powerful big hitting forwards which look for contact and can make line breaks due to brute force. The likes of Finn Wright, Liam Cornish and Luca Moretti for waverley will be the damaging runners for the team. But with Finn Wright out this week, it will mean that the pick and drives off the ruck will be lacking the force required to bash through Newington's sizeable forward pack. Both teams use the tactic of 'get in the oppositions head'. This has worked for both teams in the past, and it will be interesting to see how either team respond to this. Both teams show huge amounts of aggression towards their opponent, so this will be an awesome game to watch and full of big hits. Although Newington seem like they will become victorious, they won't have experienced the atmosphere of the Waverley boys at Death Valley, I think this could be a turning point for the game and i think that this will probably bring the margin down quite close. I think that if waverley bring the mongrel that they always do, they will be in with a chance.

J D F,

I think your summary is very accurate by all reports.

Who are the prospective leaders of New pack and back line?

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Waves vs New

Fairly sure the newington boys experienced Death Valley in trial matches over the past 2 seasons and were comprehensive victors......think the "fear factor" will not worry them. What was the score last year?

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fairly sure the newington boys experienced Death Valley in trial matches over the past 2 seasons and were comprehensive victors..think the "fear factor" will not worry them. What was the score last year?

It was 29-17 I think.
Newington won both. These games have usually been the first trial game of the season, so it will be interesting to see how teams perform with a bit more confidence and preperation under their belts.

Should hopefully be another tight game.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Fairly sure the newington boys experienced Death Valley in trial matches over the past 2 seasons and were comprehensive victors..think the "fear factor" will not worry them. What was the score last year?

RedBlack,

Think you are right, nothing to worry about for New.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Roger agent 86,

Lee how would you like me to contact you?

I sent you a private convo on May 2nd and just sent you a follow up now.

You should get a red alert. Just click on "Inbox" above and you should see a message.

Cheers

LG

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I sent you a private convo on May 2nd and just sent you a follow up now.

You should get a red alert. Just click on "Inbox" above and you should see a message.

Cheers

LG

Hi Lee,

I did respond to you earlier today via mobile, did you get that?

I am more than happy to do the Waverley game reports.

Just let me know what/how this is done each week.

Regards WLF.

S

sidelineview

Hi Lee,

Regards WLF.

Click on inbox above and you will see private messages and all will be revealed

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Hi Lee,

Regards WLF.

No - never got a reply to my earlier message over two weeks ago, nor to the one earlier today.

But this is boring everybody and I have a message for them too.

___________________________​

You may have noticed that there have been some blogs on the trials for the last few weeks - with (mainly) CAS and GPS schools playing each other.

There is another round tomorrow and the last round is the following weekend.

On Sat 3rd June there is a a trial between GPS schools only and on June 17th the GPS comp starts.

The last time I looked I couldn't find any info on the CAS site, so I will assume it's the same as the GPS.

If anybody would like to write on any CAS trial or competition game please let me know here and I will add you to the writing list.

There's a limit on the number of words - just 500; so it's not too hard, in fact folks find it hard to limit the words to 500 once they get started.

How about it? Let me know here and I can add you to the trial writing list and you can read all the guff.

Cheers,

LG

Status
Not open for further replies.