• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why was the SRU ever affiliated with the national body and not the NSWRU?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Not sure why - IIRC it was when NSWRU split Waratahs and Community Rugby. (Both the SRU and NSWCRU incidentally)

Did it allow those direct grants etc in the past?

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to put to bed once and for all the circumstances of the "direct grants."

When the ARC imploded, the ARU decided to fund the Sydney and Brisbane competitions as de facto 3rd tier for fringe super players. Whether this was a good use of funds is another matter - but it was at that point an ARU intiative. These funds have subsequently been withdrawn. (And yes, some of the clubs didn't like it, but who in this world likes having money taken off them?) The last "funding" provided by the ARU, was by no means direct funding - it was as the owners of rugby TV explained largely in kind advertising and promotion for the ARU and Wallaby games during FTA Shute Shield coverage (i.e. the ARU paid for advertising on FTA during the SS broadcast - probably not a bad idea actually).

Note that the SRU has had no problem replacing this "funding" from private companies. The agreement stipulates that the SRU have to provide a set number of advertising dollars to channel 7 to maintain FTA coverage.

The SRU and/or the SS clubs receive zero dollars in funding (direct or otherwise) from the ARU. And I'm not advocating that they do receive direct funding. I do, and have long advocated, that the national body should be supporting clubs (all clubs not just Sydney and Brisbane ones) along the line that the RFU does in England.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why was the SRU ever affiliated with the national body and not the NSWRU?

Did it allow those direct grants etc in the past?

Channelling the mid 80's I have a hunch there might have been an attempt by the NSWRU to shut Sydney rep footy. Or the SS clubs wanted to go it alone at some point.
I think its older than QH thinks.
Perhaps I need repressed memory therapy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the Constitution:

3.5 Affiliated Unions
(a) The Company may, by special resolution, determine a body to be an Affiliated Union.
(b) As at the date of this Constitution the Affiliated Unions are:
(i) Australian Junior Rugby Football Union Ltd;
(ii) Australian Rugby Football Schools Union Inc.;
(iii) Australian Services Rugby Union;
(iv) Australian Universities Rugby Union;
(v) Australian Barbarian Rugby Club Inc.;
(vi) Australian Women’s Rugby Football Union;
(vii) Classic Wallabies Inc;
(viii) New South Wales Country Rugby Union Ltd; and
(ix) Sydney Rugby Union Limited.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok now told SA have clear plan b for two teams axed to play in Pro12...thereby not reducing professional opportunities.

Ok ARU what is our plan B so we have the same or are we going to be the only SAANZAAR partner to reduce professional player opportunities....

If you don't have a plan B ARU like SA then you can get on your bike and just fuck off.

Pretty angry to read this about SA as they are thinking about Plan B's but where the hell has there been any dialogue from ARU about a plan B for ensuring professional opportunities not lost e.g. expanded NRC etc in terms of format, length of comp, teams....

Can someone please hurry up and sack the ARU and give us an administration that can actually take us forward.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sadly Red Happy I believe you are correct. It would take near complete annihilation of rugby before others would step in and by then too late.

Sad that decentralised structure and political nature of Oz rugby stops effective co-ordinate lobbying and change

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes was so looking forward to sitting down watching a game tonight but alas no.

On separate matter....like SA we should seriously be considering like TOCC stated that axed team be entered in another comp ie, J-League which is probably only other comp given NZ wont' consider us for their Mitre 10 competition etc.

As we know Super Rugby has its challenges and investing all our eggs in one basket is dangerous proposition and testing and learning what could apply in alternative competition could provide some benefits / learnings to apply for developing new eventual domestic competition or alternative to super rugby as we must be more in control of our own destiny then rely on others like our SANZAAR partners.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also:

Yet another week without a Prime Time Super game on a Friday night.

Moronic scheduling at its finest.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Was just thinking exactly the same thing
And don't think this is purely a SANZAAR issue as the ARU get huge input into draw along with the broadcasters
So the central theme of incompetence claims another example

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also:

Yet another week without a Prime Time Super game on a Friday night.

Moronic scheduling at its finest.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Was just thinking exactly the same thing
And don't think this is purely a SANZAAR issue as the ARU get huge input into draw along with the broadcasters
So the central theme of incompetence claims another example

I think it is partly the staggering of the rounds with the Lions Tour in June but there are only three weeks (from memory) where Australia has three home games on the same weekend. One of those was at the start of the season when there was a Thursday game (Rebels home game). The other two have involved two Aussie home games on a Saturday night with a late evening Saturday game (Force home games)

It has meant that every time there is a Sunday game, there isn't a Friday night Aussie game.

As a fan I love the Sunday games so it is difficult to know what to do.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Channelling the mid 80's I have a hunch there might have been an attempt by the NSWRU to shut Sydney rep footy. Or the SS clubs wanted to go it alone at some point.
I think its older than QH thinks.
Perhaps I need repressed memory therapy.

Indeed IS, dealing with the ARU and/or NSWRU on a long term basis has left most of us in need of therapy:)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...cutive-bill-pulver-to-go-20170518-gw87kh.html

Reading the comments at bottom of the article is what found interesting as these comments you see again and again on various social media forums discussing rugby...

All the ingredients and backdrop to drive major radical change if a cohesive group was ready to co-ordinate and step up and ransack the ARU and remove underperformers and make wholesale change.

But yet that is the problem of Australian rugby that it is so fractured and decentralised politically, and indeed so apathetic that major change whilst required seems unlikely.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/05/19/melbourne-rebels-statement-3/

Coxy Bomb

--

The Melbourne Rebels wish to reiterate its clear legal position that the ARU has no legal right to “cut” them as a team in the Super Rugby Competition. The ARU must come out and publicly put an end to the speculation. For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, neither the Melbourne Rebels nor its owners will engage with the ARU in relation to the sale or cancellation of its Super Rugby licence.

On 10 April 2017, Cameron Clyne Chairman of the ARU announced that either the Melbourne Rebels or the Western Force would be “cut” within 48-72 hours despite having no contractual or legal ability to do this.
The Melbourne Rebels made a statement on Good Friday of its position and requested that the ARU come out and immediately state that it could not ‘cut’ the Rebels. We are now five weeks further into the 2017 season with no statement from the ARU. The ongoing speculation concerning our future has tested the resolve of the Club, our sponsors, our members and our fans. The ARU actions are not only impacting our 2017 season, they are now impacting our 2018 season.

The Melbourne Rebels are a key tenant in one of the world’s greatest sporting precincts and we intend on representing professional rugby in Melbourne for a long time to come. The Melbourne Rebels acknowledge the strong support given by the Victorian Government to the Club and rugby in the State.
We ask our fans, supporters and members to get behind the Melbourne Rebels and demonstrate that rugby is alive and thriving in Melbourne, Victoria, the sporting capital of the world, at our next home game against the Crusaders on Saturday 27 May.

We thank them all for their ongoing support and encourage them to continue to stand with us.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ok now told SA have clear plan b for two teams axed to play in Pro12.thereby not reducing professional opportunities.

Ok ARU what is our plan B so we have the same or are we going to be the only SAANZAAR partner to reduce professional player opportunities..

If you don't have a plan B ARU like SA then you can get on your bike and just fuck off.

Pretty angry to read this about SA as they are thinking about Plan B's but where the hell has there been any dialogue from ARU about a plan B for ensuring professional opportunities not lost e.g. expanded NRC etc in terms of format, length of comp, teams..

Can someone please hurry up and sack the ARU and give us an administration that can actually take us forward.
Plan B?

FFS, they don't have a plan A yet!

T

TOCC

6 weeks ago the ARU stated they would make an announcement on which team would be cut within the next 72hrs... 6 weeks ago....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Dave,

No doubt if we could get everybody who lives within a reasonable distance of a club like yours to attend a few games we would be better off.

On the other hand, look at Gordon. A very accessible home ground plumb in the middle of Chatswood. Anybody who lives, shops, or works anywhere near it must know that there is something happening every second Saturday during winter.

Where are they? This would be a pretty good test case - especially given that Gordon claims to have the largest number of junior players in Australia in their catchment. Where are they and their parents?
2 things, it's only accessible by rail.
It's a fucking nightmare to park your car anywhere near the oval, if you intend staying more than 2 hours.
Their 2 largest clubs are Wahroonga & Lindfield,hardly a short drive. Saturday afternoons in these suburbs are more likely to be spent watching private School Sport.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So, two things out of that.

For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, neither the Melbourne Rebels nor its owners will engage with the ARU in relation to the sale or cancellation of its Super Rugby licence.

So ARU, get fucked (like Brumby Jack said).

For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, neither the Melbourne Rebels nor its owners will engage with the ARU in relation to the sale or cancellation of its Super Rugby licence.

Owners? Lends itself to the theory they are dealing with multiple people now. Good, make it harder for you fuckers to take our Team away from us.

Over to you, ARU.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Furry muff. Lots of reasons why nobody is interested in supporting their local club.

If this is a problem in the bluest of blue chip areas, what on earth do we do?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd love to place a $$ figure on the value of damage that the ARU and SANZAAR have caused to rugby union in this country since this whole saga began.

But 'our' Chairman says the whole process has not been botched and we've lost sight of its objectives and the ARU's commendable 'not floundering' status.

Status
Not open for further replies.