• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
So, two things out of that.

So ARU, get fucked (like Brumby Jack said).

Owners? Lends itself to the theory they are dealing with multiple people now. Good, make it harder for you fuckers to take our Team away from us.

Over to you, ARU.
Ok so my takeaways
1. Waiting for some of our esteemed Force supporters to find the hidden code for 10 mill is my sale price
2. Whilst still the main driver , this is not Cox acting in isolation of other investors
3. Despite some of the differences they have hadn't in the past the VRU and Rebs are acting in concert here
4 . The reference to 2018 is further setup for a damages claim against the ARU as irrespective of who survives between Force and Rebs or both , it's very hard to argue that the ARU action ( or lack of it ) has severely damaged these teams chances of being competitive next year on and off field
5. The reference to the sporting precinct is a big nod to MOPT and the government .

Great release team

D

daz

So, two things out of that.

So ARU, get fucked (like Brumby Jack said).

Owners? Lends itself to the theory they are dealing with multiple people now. Good, make it harder for you fuckers to take our Team away from us.

Over to you, ARU.

Well, that has made my Friday a bit more enjoyable. We are down to 2 options now: Either the Force, Brumbies, Tahs or Reds gone, or no teams gone.

Rebels are off the table.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But 'our' Chairman says the whole process has not been botched and we've lost sight of its objectives and the ARU's commendable 'not floundering' status.

You'd hate to see him stuff something up if this is his version of things being handled appropriately, wouldn't you?

Maybe he's forgotten that he's not working for a bank anymore, so he can't just steamroll the opposition into the ground by outlasting them with buckets of money.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If South Africa are looking to get a team in Europe, could the cut Australian team break into Japan?

Obviously plenty of hurdles, logistical issues and far from ideal, but would it be better then the current alternative which the ARU are pushing?

This is a barrow I've been pushing for quite a while, in particular if the Force are cut.

It harkens back to 1994 when WA soccer was continually isolated from the NSL. Instead, we put a side together to play in the Singapore Premier League called the Perth Kangaroos IFC. They played their games at a very small suburban ground with 5000 capacity and flew to Singapore every fortnight for away games. The "big" early attendances were enough to put the wheels in motion for the creation of the Perth Glory. The Kangaroos operated within budget during the early stages of the season, however the crowds dropped off after we started to win every game by 6 or 7 goals, it was only then, with the crowds down to a hundred or so, did the experiment fail.

I'm curious as to whether Perth could do the same with Japan, especially considering that the Top-League is far more competitive than the Singaporean Soccer League, thus maintaining interest. I also believe that we wouldn't have to maintain a high-budget Super Rugby quality squad; instead, the quality being somewhere between that of the Perth Spirit and the Perth Gold Australian Rugby Shield team, just professional. Being in the summer, the Perth rugby clubs shouldn't have any of the qualms of losing players mid-season.
(Neither would any of our local RL teams either, if we wanted to loan a few prospects from them :p )

Without the intellectual property rights, the team could play as RugbyWA's rep team, in other words, as Western Australia (maybe with a little 西オーストラリア or 西豪州 on the team logo) which is not a bad thing, seeing as the State's name is a very good geographical identifier.

Considering the lack of time-differences, and a cheaper squad, could this be viable? I suppose the major stumbling block would be whether Japan would even allow us in there. But then, if the SunWolves want to stay in the Australian conference, maybe Western Australia's Top-League inclusion would be considered a gesture of reciprocal goodwill?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I don't believe this means that Cox is necessarily in for the long haul.

On the contrary, he is likely to exit but it won't be through selling the licence to the ARU - there are 2 other bidders who come into play now.

A great result for the people of Melbourne, but people of Perth should still retain significant hope as to their legal standing.

The fight continues and being #strongerasfive remains far more than a pipe dream.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't believe this means that Cox is necessarily in for the long haul.

On the contrary, he is likely to exit but it won't be through selling the licence to the ARU - there are 2 other bidders who come into play now.

A great result for the people of Melbourne, but people of Perth should still retain significant hope as to their legal standing.

The fight continues and being #strongerasfive remains far more than a pipe dream.
yes i think this just emphasises that the Rebels as an establishment are fighting, i agree that Cox may well be partially divesting himself of the franchise to others on the Board or the Elsom group or ?. BUT there are clearly enough heavy hitters around to put Cox on a shortish lease with regard to what can be done with "his" licence. selling it back to the ARU would now seem to no longer be an option.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
yes i think this just emphasises that the Rebels as an establishment are fighting, i agree that Cox may well be partially divesting himself of the franchise to others on the Board or the Elsom group or ?. BUT there are clearly enough heavy hitters around to put Cox on a shortish lease with regard to what can be done with "his" licence. selling it back to the ARU would now seem to no longer be an option.

If you are in a fight, you'd fancy your chances with the ARU as your opponent.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If anybody looks at any social media threads the ARU has completely lost the confidence of Australian Rugby Supporters and Past Supporters (Note lot of lost Rugby supporters to the game over the last decade as ARU failed to capture the large occasional rugby fan who use to regularly watch Wallaby matches who now have left in droves).

But yet they the ARU still remain in place....because it seems Australian Rugby is so fractured and politically divided and operating in such an inefficient an incohesive decentralised manner that co-ordinated efforts could not be made to organise a meat raffle let alone co-ordinate and collaborate to lobby for real change to move Australian Rugby forward.

Somewhere we need some group or individuals to step up who care about Australian Rugby and that everyone gets behind them to support them in making radical change. But sadly the chances of that feel like as much as me winning lotto at this point.

So frustrating...as the world game so strong and going from strength to strength and yet domestically we are going backwards at a rate of knots. WTF is going on that we can be at this point and just sit by and let this happen.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If anybody looks at any social media threads the ARU has completely lost the confidence of Australian Rugby Supporters and Past Supporters (Note lot of lost Rugby supporters to the game over the last decade as ARU failed to capture the large occasional rugby fan who use to regularly watch Wallaby matches who now have left in droves).

But yet they the ARU still remain in place..because it seems Australian Rugby is so fractured and politically divided and operating in such an inefficient an incohesive decentralised manner that co-ordinated efforts could not be made to organise a meat raffle let alone co-ordinate and collaborate to lobby for real change to move Australian Rugby forward.

Somewhere we need some group or individuals to step up who care about Australian Rugby and that everyone gets behind them to support them in making radical change. But sadly the chances of that feel like as much as me winning lotto at this point.

So frustrating.as the world game so strong and going from strength to strength and yet domestically we are going backwards at a rate of knots. WTF is going on that we can be at this point and just sit by and let this happen.

The system of governance (in practice, if not also in theory), is designed to keep control in the hands of a narrow elite. There is no opportunity whatsoever for grassroots rugby people to have a say through their clubs. As Reds Happy has noted the ARU works hand in glove with the State Unions in a mutually beneficial arrangement whereby they all work to keep each other securely in office through the way appointments are made and funds distributed.

Meanwhile, the RFU are run by the clubs.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great stuff from the Rebels. The ARU really have no clue.

Also any suggestion that the focus will now return to the Force is misguided. The reason the ARU turned to the Rebels was because of the LEGALLY BINDING ALLIANCE AGREEMENT. Nothing has changed that aggrement still stands.

Bring on the AGM its time we had a management team working for ALL AUSTRALIAN Rugby players and fans not pandering to foreign markets.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great stuff from the Rebels. The ARU really have no clue.

Also any suggestion that the focus will now return to the Force is misguided. The reason the ARU turned to the Rebels was because of the LEGALLY BINDING ALLIANCE AGREEMENT. Nothing has changed that aggrement still stands.

Bring on the AGM its time we had a management team working for ALL AUSTRALIAN Rugby players and fans not pandering to foreign markets.

That's all nice, but where do we get the money to work for all Australian rugby players better than now with an Aus-centric TV product for which we will receive way less money? It's only the pandering that has got us any decent money recently.
I understand the sentiment, but once we have new management, I can't see where we get the pot of gold.
If we stay with 5 teams, which philosophically I'd prefer, I struggle to see anything but yet another Super Rugby clusterfuck next year with some cobbled together competition, especially if 2 SA teams do go and end up in Europe.
And with all due respect, most of the solutions posited here about AUS / NZ comp (not gonna happen) or our own thing don't really answer the hard question.........
cuba-gooding-jr-show-me-the-money-jerry-maguire-219x300.jpg

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Statement from the Victorian Government. Specifically, the Sports Minister (John Uren)

More support, and a few veiled threats in there.

The Victorian Government welcomes the Melbourne Rebels’ commitment to remain part of the Super Rugby competition and not sell its licence.

A Super Rugby franchise in Melbourne is crucial for the growth of the game in Victoria, which is why the Government is working with the Melbourne Rebels, the Victorian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby Union to ensure the club remains in the competition going forward.

The Victorian Government believes any decision to withdraw the Melbourne Rebels from the Super Rugby competition would be a retrograde step by the Australian Rugby Union.

Since the Melbourne Rebels were established in 2011, Victoria’s rugby union participation rates have increased by 97 per cent. In 2016, participation rates increased by 38 per cent to reach 15,829.

Melbourne has the fastest growing population in Australia and will soon become the nation’s most populous city. If the Australian Rugby Union wants to grow the game across the nation, Victoria and the Melbourne Rebels is an essential cornerstone of its strategy.

The governing body regularly turns to Melbourne for the big blockbuster events, such as British and Irish Lions tours and the Bledisloe Cup. Victoria has played a pivotal role in the evolution of the sport, so it would seem incongruent to withdraw the presence of ongoing, professional rugby from the State.

Rugby Union has made a tremendous contribution to the Victorian community. The VRU Pacific Island Emerging Leaders Program helps players with a Pacific Island background in areas of personal development, welfare and education.

Victoria is the sporting capital of the world and the nation’s leader for major events. Australian Rugby Union can only lay claim to being a truly national code in an international competition if Victoria is a key component of its plans.

The Government will continue to work with the Victorian Rugby Union, Melbourne Rebels and Australian Rugby Union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
https://melbournerebels.com/2017/05/19/melbourne-rebels-statement-3/

Coxy Bomb

--

The Melbourne Rebels wish to reiterate its clear legal position that the ARU has no legal right to “cut” them as a team in the Super Rugby Competition. The ARU must come out and publicly put an end to the speculation. For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, neither the Melbourne Rebels nor its owners will engage with the ARU in relation to the sale or cancellation of its Super Rugby licence.

On 10 April 2017, Cameron Clyne Chairman of the ARU announced that either the Melbourne Rebels or the Western Force would be “cut” within 48-72 hours despite having no contractual or legal ability to do this.
The Melbourne Rebels made a statement on Good Friday of its position and requested that the ARU come out and immediately state that it could not ‘cut’ the Rebels. We are now five weeks further into the 2017 season with no statement from the ARU. The ongoing speculation concerning our future has tested the resolve of the Club, our sponsors, our members and our fans. The ARU actions are not only impacting our 2017 season, they are now impacting our 2018 season.

The Melbourne Rebels are a key tenant in one of the world’s greatest sporting precincts and we intend on representing professional rugby in Melbourne for a long time to come. The Melbourne Rebels acknowledge the strong support given by the Victorian Government to the Club and rugby in the State.
We ask our fans, supporters and members to get behind the Melbourne Rebels and demonstrate that rugby is alive and thriving in Melbourne, Victoria, the sporting capital of the world, at our next home game against the Crusaders on Saturday 27 May.

We thank them all for their ongoing support and encourage them to continue to stand with us.
That is the response the John Eren letter wanted, so it looks like the state government are in. Maybe a bit late, but I am sure that was discussed.

Assuming the new TV deal is signed and locked away, does Sanzaar, in the event no decision is reached on an Australian team being removed, just remove one Australian team from the fixture to protect the TV deal?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
That is the response the John Eren letter wanted, so it looks like the state government are in. Maybe a bit late, but I am sure that was discussed.

Assuming the new TV deal is signed and locked away, does Sanzaar, in the event no decision is reached on an Australian team being removed, just remove one Australian team from the fixture to protect the TV deal?

If they have a signed agreement to drop a team and they can't legally drop the Rebels and Force, then either they go to court with one of the parties, find an appropriate alternative option for one of the parties or they drop the Brumbies.

But this is all going to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.