• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
From comparing assorted fixture lists for different schools, the state of play is:

key - opens/16s/15s/14s/13s
Rugby --------------Soccer
J - 12/7/8/7/7 -----7/2/1/2/4
E- 8/5/6/6/6 -------7/3/4/5/5
S - 10/6/3/6/7 -----8/4/2/4/5 *15s impacted by Glengarry
N - 7/4/4/4/7 ------11/5/7/7/8
K - 9/4/5/4/5 -------10/6/5/6/8
G - 2/2/3/3/2 -------8/6/6/6/7
H - 2/2/1/1/1 -------13/6/7/7/6
I - 9/5/6/6/7 --------8/4/5/4/4
T - unable to determine - JB may need to assist

In comparison to 2015 numbers:
Rugby at Joeys, Shore, Kings, High & Riverview has declined (particulalry at Kings)
Noone has Ks in the lower ages any more or Hs in the higher age groups.

Strong increase in rugby at Scots and a reasonable increase at Newington.

NB - I'm happy to be corrected on any of these numbers.

EDIT: Maybe Dr Lambert should take over from Pulver.;)

I don't have access to full team details at TAS, QH.

In Rugby, the training schedules list two each in open, 16,15, 14, and 13s. If that's the full list, then numbers appear well down from last year. There may be numbers for more teams but training as squads. Trawling through the past rugby results reminded me just how difficult it has been for TAS to get games. There is not much point in having a fourths, for example, if you have no-one to play.

Soccer has exploded. Its been played at TAS for many years, there were teams in the fifties. but the numbers now are significant. Over 200 boys. In age team terms, there appear to be 9 teams in the very junior age groups, 3 in the 12s, 2 each in the 14s and 16s, 4 open teams.

TAS also plays hockey. There is one team each in the 11s, the 13s and 16s plus two open teams. If you are a competitive lad, hockey would appear to be the easiest route to senior rep levels.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't have access to full team details at TAS, QH.

In Rugby, the training schedules list two each in open, 16,15, 14, and 13s. If that's the full list, then numbers appear well down from last year. There may be numbers for more teams but training as squads. Trawling through the past rugby results reminded me just how difficult it has been for TAS to get games. There is not much point in having a fourths, for example, if you have no-one to play.

Soccer has exploded. Its been played at TAS for many years, there were teams in the fifties. but the numbers now are significant. Over 200 boys. In age team terms, there appear to be 9 teams in the very junior age groups, 3 in the 12s, 2 each in the 14s and 16s, 4 open teams.

TAS also plays hockey. There is one team each in the 11s, the 13s and 16s plus two open teams. If you are a competitive lad, hockey would appear to be the easiest route to senior rep levels.

I should write up my notes on the history of rugby at TAS in the fifties and sixties. It provides a microcosm of rugby's decline. It is hard now to believe that TAS might win against Sydney schools and yet be defeated in local comp by High, De la, ATC or UNE seconds. Hard to believe that TAS could defeat a Gunnedah first grade side that included a Wallaby! Of course, that would not be allowed now. Boys can't play men.

I must say that looking at the numbers and history in the context of current discussions about competition structures has depressed me. I am fairly one-eyed about rugby in general and TAS in particular. I think that the school has done a remarkable job in preserving and promoting rugby. And yet so much of the competition discussion would have the effect of reducing TAS rugby opportunities.

Ah well, The GPS thirds comp begins today. I want it to be a good, fair and exciting comp despite Joey's potential dominance. As always, I am cheering for the minnows, SBHS, Grammar and TAS. Good luck boys. Have fun. Even if you lose, you will have stories to talk about later when you become an old fogey like me!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I should write up my notes on the history of rugby at TAS in the fifties and sixties. It provides a microcosm of rugby's decline. It is hard now to believe that TAS might win against Sydney schools and yet be defeated in local comp by High, De la, ATC or UNE seconds. Hard to believe that TAS could defeat a Gunnedah first grade side that included a Wallaby! Of course, that would not be allowed now. Boys can't play men.

I must say that looking at the numbers and history in the context of current discussions about competition structures has depressed me. I am fairly one-eyed about rugby in general and TAS in particular. I think that the school has done a remarkable job in preserving and promoting rugby. And yet so much of the competition discussion would have the effect of reducing TAS rugby opportunities.

Ah well, The GPS thirds comp begins today. I want it to be a good, fair and exciting comp despite Joey's potential dominance. As always, I am cheering for the minnows, SBHS, Grammar and TAS. Good luck boys. Have fun. Even if you lose, you will have stories to talk about later when you become an old fogey like me!

I think that the end game for some proponents of the 2017 structure (read SJC) is the demise of the 3rds competition in its current form and for TAS, Grammar and High to play non GPS schools. I think that this would be a sad result.

Anyway, as you say, good luck to all the boys in the 3rds competition this year. As New have been excluded from it, I have no one in particular to cheer for so I'll be having a cheer for TAS, Grammar and High.

I suspect that either TAS, Scots or Joeys will end up premiers.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I think that the end game for some proponents of the 2017 structure (read SJC) is the demise of the 3rds competition in its current form and for TAS, Grammar and High to play non GPS schools. I think that this would be a sad result.

Anyway, as you say, good luck to all the boys in the 3rds competition this year. As New have been excluded from it, I have no one in particular to cheer for so I'll be having a cheer for TAS, Grammar and High.

I suspect that either TAS, Scots or Joeys will end up premiers.

I don't know re SJC, QH. I have only stories. Its a bit like last time when it was alleged that the the head of Shore forced TAS out on the grounds of a bye, travel and the random element it introduced. Then TAS had entered the full comp. I haven't proved this.

Like you, I am sad Newington is not there. They might have won. The better the thirds comp is this year, the more chance we have of returning to the full format.

PicknGo

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think that's right.

I did accidentally overlook Waverley v Riverview. Waverley look red hot at the moment and Riverview have struggled. Think that Waverley will be too strong. Wouldn't suprise me if Waverley won by 30 plus.
Riverview has made a number of changes to its backline. Dom Easy to start at no. 10 with a new centre pairing and fullback. Be interesting to see if this can turn things around for Iggies. They have a lot of individual talent but are not playing well as a team and have questionable defence out wide. This Waverley team look very good so I suspect they will win but it would be good to see View put up a good fight.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Batger had a blinder. But what a team. IIRC also included Ben Hand, Will Caldwell, Hugh Perret, James Hilgendorf and others.
Joeys were pretty decent that year as well. IIRC joeys seems to dominate but batger magic kept kings in the game and they stole it on the bell. Great game.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
Kings 14B 14-12 v Scots. Kings 14As 7 tries plus a couple of conversions to 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.