• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pfiztytell me about Mac Uni. Yeah after year they struggle and appear to get belted each week but continue to put out teams. I this a club of 19 year olds that get replenished each year by new young ones.
I used to play for mac uni (many moons ago now). We used to describe ourselves as a drinking club with a rugby problem.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They're a great bunch of guys. They had a couple of blokes who were utter dickheads last year. Will be interesting to see if they stuck around.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

Okay, after being pipped by 1 last week, let's see where we are up to this week. Heavy D, still showing no love for the Epping boys..... must be a tough guy to please.

DIV 1
KNOX vs Waverley - I'll take the upset here. Knox to get up at home.
MOSMAN vs Drummoyne - Should be a cracker. The Whales love playing at Rawson so I'll take them, although Drummoyne are killing it.
COLLEAGUES vs Petersham - Loads of games/clubs on at Woollahra Oval. Another cracker. Home field advantage and some Dan Kelly magic to get Colleagues home.
BALMAIN vs St Pats - I'll take the Muzzled Wolves at home.

DIV 2
MOUNTAINS vs Beecroft - I think it might be tight for 60 minutes, then when the sun goes down and the chill comes up, the Mountain boys will take over.
HUNTERS vs Hawk Ag - If Ag were at the College, I'd back them, but Boronia Park - Hunters 1-10.
HILLS vs Lindfield - Hills surprised me last week but I'll back them to make it two on the trot.
Uni NSW vs FOREST - Forest to make up for last week with a comfortable win.

DIV 3
HAWKESBURY VALLEY vs Brothers - This season is beginning to resemble a recent one for the Brothers (2009?). A long and tough season.
Barker vs NEWPORT - I thought Barker might have had a bit more in the backs last week, given the tips here, but the Epping backline had them well and truly covered. I'll back Newport away in a tight one.
IGGIES vs St Ives - Iggies put the choke on the opposition at Ryde Oval. Iggies by 12.
Redfield vs EPPING - Always a great battle between two teams that play distinctive and attractive brands of rugby. Heart says Epping, head says Epping. (Hoping to sneak off to catch this one).

Good luck to all the lads donning their club colours this weekend.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Big game for BOBs this weekend. The 1st grade table you could throw a blanket over it! They need a big result in this one to keep up their top four chances. Hope the boys can bounce back from the Epping game. I was following the live scores at 5am in London (Sad I know) and I saw that it was 24-17 to Epping at one stage so the boys were in in. Hopefully they put in a good effort this week.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Okay, after being pipped by 1 last week, let's see where we are up to this week. Heavy D, still showing no love for the Epping boys... must be a tough guy to please.

SCORES
DIV 1
KNOX vs Waverley - 34-25 Tips 1/1
MOSMAN vs Drummoyne - 25-42 Tips 1/2
COLLEAGUES vs Petersham - 21-27 Tips 1/3
BALMAIN vs St Pats - 31-24 Tips 2/4

DIV 2
MOUNTAINS vs Beecroft - 26-18 Tips 3/5
HUNTERS vs Hawk Ag - 18-13 Tips 4/6
HILLS vs Lindfield - 28-16 Tips 5/7
Uni NSW vs FOREST - 36-17 Tips 5/8

DIV 3
HAWKESBURY VALLEY vs Brothers - 26-34 Tips 5/9
Barker vs NEWPORT - 39-12 Tips 6/10
IGGIES vs St Ives - 38-20 Tips 7/11
Redfield vs EPPING - 45-46 Tips 8/12 (Cracking game - followed it live on the app. Those Burfitt boys for Redfield scored all 45 points!!!)

How did you go, @HeavyD?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
You Pipped me by 1. Got a clean card in DIV 2 including UNSW beating Forest. Interesting that Forest 3rds got done 50-0. Sure sign they don't have the numbers for a 3rd grade and their 4ths + others are making up the numbers in 3s. History says that will eventually hurt them in 4ths as they start to get injured backing up as the season wears on.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
You Pipped me by 1. Got a clean card in DIV 2 including UNSW beating Forest. Interesting that Forest 3rds got done 50-0. Sure sign they don't have the numbers for a 3rd grade and their 4ths + others are making up the numbers in 3s. History says that will eventually hurt them in 4ths as they start to get injured backing up as the season wears on.

Yeah, seems strange, considering they allegedly got a heap of players from Brothers, whose form turned around today.
Maybe you'll have to tip the Rams next week?

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cracking game at Woollahra. Great tries great defence great goal kicking (only one miss) real edge of your seat stuff.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OATLEY v Canterbury - match of the round. Big, bruising blend of all types of player and the medics better be on their game. Canterbury are probably the closest to troubling Oatley of the teams I've seen so far, and its not a big trip for them to HV Evatt, but I reckon the results Oatley have posted so far will allow them to contain the Berries.

Wow. Canterbury got up 25-24. Must have been one heck of a game

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone know the rule around uncontested scrums? Newport were monstering BOBs in scrum leading 14-0 when BOBS went uncontested. Ref didn't make BOBs pack 8 in scrum so effectively there was no penalty. Final score a 14-14 draw and Newport apparently not very happy. My understanding is they should have had to pack 8 giving Newport a 7 vs 6 scenario in the backs?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone know the rule around uncontested scrums? Newport were monstering BOBs in scrum leading 14-0 when BOBS went uncontested. Ref didn't make BOBs pack 8 in scrum so effectively there was no penalty. Final score a 14-14 draw and Newport apparently not very happy. My understanding is they should have had to pack 8 giving Newport a 7 vs 6 scenario in the backs?

How do you give up a 14 point lead against 14 men?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Didn't have a ref show up yesterday and Tim Richards wasn't answering his phone.

So the opposition coach decided he'd ref(hats off to him to be fair, we have no game otherwise)

With all due respect to him he had a shocker.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Mate this whole area is a dogs breakfast at the moment. I'm sure some refs are getting confused between this and the rules for scrums during yellow cards.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

That is correct. They should have packed 8. I believe that it is expected that they drop a player and play the game with 14.
It is happening more often - dominant scrums are being weakened by it. Epping had the same situation against BOBs last week. Cant remember which grade though.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Didn't have a ref show up yesterday and Tim Richards wasn't answering his phone.

So the opposition coach decided he'd ref(hats off to him to be fair, we have no game otherwise)

With all due respect to him he had a shocker.

That's a real shame. I know that they are massively short staffed in terms of referees. In those situations, I think it is best if both teams agree to a half each, if possible.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
How do you give up a 14 point lead against 14 men?

Because The 14 points scored were on the back of possession provided by a dominant forward pack. BOBs apparently couldn't even win their own scrum so taking that out of the equation without a seeming penalty to the opposition in extremely poor refereeing. It appears BOBs regularly go uncontested across grades judging by other comments. Good tactic, good luck to them if subbies don't police.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
It appears BOBs regularly go uncontested across grades judging by other comments. Good tactic, good luck to them if subbies don't police.
I remember them doing twice last year. Once their second grade prop went off "injured" and they went uncontested, then the same guy played 1st grade and they did it again about 20mins in.

footyfan1

Frank Row (1)
Unfortunately it seems to be a tactic used by clubs. I've witnessed many games last year where frequent wins against the feed and dominance of possession would see uncontested scrums called and the team happily drop a player so they can see some ball. It's been a problem in Colts matches where one team has a heavy and dominant tight 5 against a pack with 8 flankers selected to start and calling uncontested scrums is the best option for them. What fun is it been a fatty if it's uncontested scrums. One of the great parts of rugby union is that every play is a genuine contest for the ball.

I am all for safety and understand it's dangerous to have untrained front rowers in contested scrums. But it pisses me off when the second half of the season rolls around and the props from the first round are can't play front row anymore. Not sure what the current penalty is, but I feel that repeat offenders should lose competition points. One off injuries/absences do occur, I understand, but it needs to be avoided as much as possible

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd be really interested in how often BOBs call uncontested. They've been doing it for at least two years now. Is there any record of how often teams do this?

footyfan1

Frank Row (1)
I'd be really interested in how often BOBs call uncontested. They've been doing it for at least two years now. Is there any record of how often teams do this?

On the Fusesport App it should be listed in the 'scoresheet' section, as it happens. For example if it's called before kick off, it will be the first listed activity. If it happens during the game it will appear the same as a try/yellow card activity against the team that calls for uncontested scrums. Again it comes down to how accurately teams are updating the app. Otherwise its recorded by the opposition team on the team sheet which is forwarded to Subbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.