• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT JRU U18 Competition & ACT Schools XV 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Frank Row (1)

G'day guys, glad to see this forum is becoming more professional.

In regards to the ACT schoolboys train on squad I am curious with some of the selections, especially regarding the 12 Viking/Erindale boys and only 6 Grammar boys. This is especially confusing as Grammar defeated Vikings on the weekend??

Is this due to a larger number of Erindale boys trialling or a lack of numbers for Grammar? And are the other teams justified i.e. Edmunds - 12, Marist - 8?

However, this squad is 50 in numbers so I except some of these to even out, and correlate with club game wins.

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Daramalan defeat Grammar 31-21!
Eddies comprehensively beat Vikings 39-6, which set she up a blockbuster rivalry against Marist next weekend!

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Marist pretty convincingly beat St Edmunds yesterday 25-7, from the sideline Marist dominated Eddies physically.
And I heard Daramalan defeated Vikings 17-7

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Out of curiosity, can anybody tell me the last time Marist beat eddies, and secondly when they last beat them at Eddies?

Liam

Frank Row (1)
2012 for both questions I believe

I am also curious about the last time Marist beat Eddies from U13's Div 1 all the way up to 1st XV.I don't believe that has ever happened before.
Would this be a Marist improvement (a coaching supervisor for all ages possibly) or is it a lack of preparation on St Edmunds behalf?

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
I am also curious about the last time Marist beat Eddies from U13's Div 1 all the way up to 1st XV.I don't believe that has ever happened before.
Would this be a Marist improvement (a coaching supervisor for all ages possibly) or is it a lack of preparation on St Edmunds behalf?
It has happened before just not for a long time, like 20 years plus...
Has this Marist team been dominant all the way through? They are a good outfit to watch so far this year.

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Went out to support Grammar against St Eddies match, and boy was I impressed by the team in ugly jerseys! Extremely physical Grammar side that dominated Eddies 21-7! Numbers 2 and 13 stood out for me but I tell you what, Marist should be quivering in their boots for next week's battle!

In other news, did see the Marist boys at the game, and found out that Vikings had forfeited??? Quite a shock and disheartening for the Schoolboy comp if this is happening

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Carn, there are so many reasons why any proposal to allow kids to go off and play for a club against their own school will not, and should not happen. Clubs being unable to attract enough players is merely another symptom of a code/game in decline. The schools are not immune either, Marist does and has only fielded one u16 team for the past few years. How does a school of 1600 BOYS struggle to get 30 of them to play Rugby? I still can't get my head around that.

Anthony, re the Marist vs Grammar game, you are right that given both teams current form it looms as a mouth watering upcoming match. Hopefully the lay off from the forfeit won't hurt Marist too much...Grammar may benefit from the bruising match against eddies.

In the interests of competition it would be great to see another school get a rugby program strong enough to compete at the black division level. Redford seem to have been perennial 2nds division, Trinity in a former life were St Pats but the injection of co education has seemingly withered away at their rugby, does anyone know if Burgman could put some teams out or even John Paul college in Gungahlin? Another strong school coupled with any clubs that can put a good side together would be great for competition and assist with ridding the comp of the dreaded bye.

The Blindsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
Despite the Grammar v Eddies result on the weekend I am sure we will see more undeserving eddies players selected in the schoolboys team. The system is rigged and has been for a while now. This is one of the worst Eddies teams any of us have seen but unfortunately talent from Grammar and Marist will still miss out or be forced to sit on the bench I believe. The number 7 for grammar totally outplayed his opposite number, the youngest of the Holland brothers, but will still be forced to sit behind him in the pecking order I believe. Anyone agree/disagree?

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Despite the Grammar v Eddies result on the weekend I am sure we will see more undeserving eddies players selected in the schoolboys team. The system is rigged and has been for a while now. This is one of the worst Eddies teams any of us have seen but unfortunately talent from Grammar and Marist will still miss out or be forced to sit on the bench I believe. The number 7 for grammar totally outplayed his opposite number, the youngest of the Holland brothers, but will still be forced to sit behind him in the pecking order I believe. Anyone agree/disagree?
Hahaha...glad I'm not the only person on earth who sees things this way.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Eddies have 12 in the ACT train on squad so the platform is being laid...

Olmate

Frank Row (1)

Olmate

Frank Row (1)
I'd be interested to understand why you think the selection system you write of is rigged?
I note that St Edmunds started the same way last year but won the competition.

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
Hello fellow forum members, long time no post you might say. Don't you worry your precious heads though, I am back with a review of the Marist v Grammar match yesterday which took place in the cauldron that is Marist's No.1 oval. Ever the intimidating atmosphere fore opposing teams to arrive the Grammar boys seemed unperturbed by the pandemonium in the cauldron. The Grammar forwards got on top early going out to a 7-0 lead. The game entered a stalemate of sorts with lots of kicking from the grammar 10, clearly scared to run the ball. Marist then turned to their in form backline to hand them the second try of a deft grubber. The two sides headed into the break at 14-7 to Marist. The second half begun and tensions were heightened amongst players and spectators as a grammar fan was not impressed with the use of Marist's iconic drum. However, we won't harp on about this indescrepency. The Grammar side rallied off the back of a tiring Marist forward pack to take a 22-21 lead. It seemed that the Grammar forwards were going to roll on to seize a W from the listless Marist team. However, this was not the case. Josh Myuce entered the field in the number 16 jersey for the Marist side. A line out was earned and a rolling maul insued. Right in front of the Marist crowd the maul rolled on past the 10, past the 5 before Josh Myuce tucked the gall under his arm and barged over. The Marist boys then held on for a well deserved 26-22 victory. Grammar's fans were a bit salty and did not take the loss well, however this is understandable as they came so close to defeating the mighty blue and blue but it was all taken away through the power of a rolling maul. Until next time. Go the Sunwolves!

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
Marist and CGS put on a great game last weekend. High-quality Schoolboy rugby.

Marist got the win in what was a real arm wrestle.

You have to wonder what would have happened if CGS didn't play the last 60 minutes with only 14 men. I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.