• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I noticed Paul Williams did not get a gig this week in any capacity.
Anyone know if that was pre planned or a response to his shocker the week before?
It would be nice to think there was some accountability, even if it's not publicised.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Anyone know if that was pre planned or a response to his shocker the week before.
It would be nice to think there was some accountability, even if it's not publicised.

There's always rotation, so it would only be speculation to assume he was dropped.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone know if that was pre planned or a response to his shocker the week before?

They appoint 2-3 weeks in advance, but they only announce them weekly. I doubt it's likely he was dropped. Bit like Hoffman last year, he wasn't dropped, he just had the week off as per the rotation.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Law 19.7- (b)The throw-in at the lineout must be taken without delay and without pretending to throw. Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

Is this only meant to apply to hookers?

We constantly see backs gather a ball outside the sideline when an attacking team kicks the ball out then pretend to throw a quick lineout. They then often place the ball on the ground if there was someone ready to defend it and a 'normal" line out takes place.

Why are backs not penalised?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Law 19.7- (b)The throw-in at the lineout must be taken without delay and without pretending to throw. Sanction:Free Kick on the 15-metre line

We constantly see backs gather a ball outside the sideline when an attacking team kicks the ball out then pretend to throw a quick lineout. They then often place the ball on the ground if there was someone ready to defend it and a 'normal" line out takes place.

cause they aren't throwing in at a line-out.
They're attempting a quick throw in "without waiting for a lineout to form". Means they can also throw crooked etc

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_0740.JPG

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/un...he-other-super-rugby-matches-6/#disqus_thread

Wrong sport but given how many people on here are also au fait with the Laws of Cricket I thought this was as good a place as any to post it. Me I'm thinking not out as I'm pretty sure the law refers to the bails being dislodged.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is removing the Stump from the Ground only a law for Run Outs?

Alternatively, have the Bails have been dislodged from the middle stump?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK so Law 28 "The Wicket Is Down" reads:

1. Wicket put down

(a) The wicket is put down if a bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or a stump is struck out of the ground,

(i) by the ball,

or (ii) by the striker’s bat if he is holding it or by any part of his bat that he is holding,

or (iii) notwithstanding the provisions of Law 6.8(a), by the striker’s bat in falling if he has let go of it, or by any part of his bat becoming detached,

So it's out but prior to 2010 would've been not out as that version of the Law only mentioned the bails.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Law 19.7- (b)The throw-in at the lineout must be taken without delay and without pretending to throw. Sanction:Free Kick on the 15-metre line

I don't think that it's actually a line-out. It's a quick throw in before the line-out has set. Once it has, the line-out has formed and the quick throw cannot be taken.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just saw, in the Sunwolves Cheetahs game, again the illegal practice of shoving the tackled player over the touch line either by the tackler or his teammate well after that tackle is made.

It looks good and the referee usually awards a lineout to the defending team BUT if it happened well away from the touch line and in middle of the field, a penalty would be thus awarded against the defending team.

In this situation, Marias from Cheetahs actually went in from the side and picked up the tackled player's legs to cart it over the touch line. Result is lineout to Cheetahs and few mins later, a try to Cheetahs occurs.

Why don't the referees do see it for what it is, an illegal play and stop this professional foul?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just saw, in the Sunwolves Cheetahs game, again the illegal practice of shoving the tackled player over the touch line either by the tackler or his teammate well after that tackle is made.

It looks good and the referee usually awards a lineout to the defending team BUT if it happened well away from the touch line and in middle of the field, a penalty would be thus awarded against the defending team.

In this situation, Marias from Cheetahs actually went in from the side and picked up the tackled player's legs to cart it over the touch line. Result is lineout to Cheetahs and few mins later, a try to Cheetahs occurs.

Why don't the referees do see it for what it is, an illegal play and stop this professional foul?
As long as the tackler releases, and everyone else comes through the gate, and other tackle requirements are met is there actually anything illegal about dragging a player who hasn't released the ball?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Most interesting decision for me this week was QCs no-try against the Force.

TMO called it back for offside, and penalised Quade as a ruck had formed. Seemed a very strange decision for mine.

Can't find a replay or any highlights. Anyone seen one yet?

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Saw the game and if there was indeed a ruck formed (there wasn't) then A: the force player never released the reds player before stripping the ball and B: when the ball was lost during the strip, the force player lying on the ground is not legally allowed to kick it away.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Saw the game and if there was indeed a ruck formed (there wasn't) then A: the force player never released the reds player before stripping the ball and B: when the ball was lost during the strip, the force player lying on the ground is not legally allowed to kick it away.
Just to add to that - can't be a ruck as the ball wasnt on the ground.

You could forgive a ref making that descision in the heat of the moment, but for the TMO to make such fundamental errors was very strange

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
As long as the tackler releases, and everyone else comes through the gate, and other tackle requirements are met is there actually anything illegal about dragging a player who hasn't released the ball?

I reiterate that in this situation I described above, the tackler or his teammate illegally grabbed the tackled player and not the ball itself to drag that player into touch, they only did it to win possession via their own line out throw subsequently. They would have had to drag the player sideways to the touchline. not backwards or forwards parallel to the line of touch.

They wouldn't do that in the middle of the field so to speak otherwise they will get pinged.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Isn't the requirement that once the ball carrier has a knee on the ground there has to be clear release - ie a split second when no defender has hold of him or the ball, during which time he must play the ball?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I reiterate that in this situation I described above, the tackler or his teammate illegally grabbed the tackled player and not the ball itself to drag that player into touch, they only did it to win possession via their own line out throw subsequently. They would have had to drag the player sideways to the touchline. not backwards or forwards parallel to the line of touch.

They wouldn't do that in the middle of the field so to speak otherwise they will get pinged.
Again though, if the ball carrier was released, and other players came through the right way, what law is being broken by the draggers?