• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
I love how some members have torn strips off csu reddies, claiming they are in crisis and should merge with other clubs yet have won their last two games. It's nonsense to write them off, they maybe going through a tough time recruitments wise but they're not wooden spooners by any means. Also interesting to see city still only managed 1 win out of 4 on the weekend, they'll be flat out making finals at this rate. With Aggies flying under the radar and tumut building could be crisis talks at city lol just kidding bubba

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
James Curgenven has left Tumut Rugby League Club and returned to Wagga City according to the DA
Will he be eligible for the Finals if City makes them
Only 6 Rounds to go and apparently you have to play 7 matches to qualify for the Finals

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
James Curgenven has left Tumut Rugby League Club and returned to Wagga City according to the DA
Will he be eligible for the Finals if City makes them
Only 6 Rounds to go and apparently you have to play 7 matches to qualify for the Finals

Really interesting to see what happens here... There are exemptions for people moving to town or coming back from injury, neither of these apply to James. I have a feeling he will play but can't see why he should.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I reckon he'll struggle to get approval
he chose to play League and got paid for it
He has remained living in Wagga so he can't get an exemption there either
He and City should have checked the Competition Rules beforehand
The article in the DA even says he hasn't ruled out a return to Tumut
Maybe he is thinking of playing League & Union Finals at the same time ?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I can see where people are talking this game up as a contest. It won't be. The FSC/Monaro team wouldn't beat a lot of the Reserve grade teams in this comp. 50+ A waste of weekend rugby in SIRU.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I can see where people are talking this game up as a contest. It won't be. The FSC/Monaro team wouldn't beat a lot of the Reserve grade teams in this comp. 50+ A waste of weekend rugby in SIRU.

So negative. Just try for once to be happy that there is a rep program for our players to experience. Remember that Angus Le Leivre played for the GRiffins from his performances in the "waste" weekends last season. Tanian Naude would have also played for the Griffins had he not required surgery.

Give a solution rather than just banging on with the negative

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
So negative. Just try for once to be happy that there is a rep program for our players to experience. Remember that Angus Le Leivre played for the GRiffins from his performances in the "waste" weekends last season. Tanian Naude would have also played for the Griffins had he not required surgery.

Give a solution rather than just banging on with the negative

Agrre with your comments -poor old PB never seems to have anything positive to add does he
First of all nobody knows how the Combined Monaro / sth Coast team will go - it may be close it may be a thrashing ? but remember our players are also playing in hope of getting selected for the Brumbies Provincial team the following weekend against NSW Country - Will that be a Mickey Mouse Game ? - Doubt it
In summary with Rep footy sometimes you get some easy games and sometimes difficult games - Remember the players made themselbves available for this Rep Program - they weren't forced to Nominate
I reckon the 2 Griffith players might be looking forward to their first win of the season tomorrow - Fingers XXXed

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Agrre with your comments -poor old PB never seems to have anything positive to add does he
First of all nobody knows how the Combined Monaro / sth Coast team will go - it may be close it may be a thrashing ? but remember our players are also playing in hope of getting selected for the Brumbies Provincial team the following weekend against NSW Country - Will that be a Mickey Mouse Game ? - Doubt it
In summary with Rep footy sometimes you get some easy games and sometimes difficult games - Remember the players made themselbves available for this Rep Program - they weren't forced to Nominate
I reckon the 2 Griffith players might be looking forward to their first win of the season tomorrow - Fingers XXXed

I can see SC/Monaro side being fairly strong. 5 players from last seasons ACT provincial rep team. With a couple from previous years also.

I guarantee the SIRU side are not taking them lightly. These guys are clearly motivated. Wouldn't have nominated otherwise.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
According to the SIRU Website 16 SIRU Players got picked in the Brumbies Provincial Squad for the game against the NSW Country Team team next Saturday at Viking park, Canberra (Tuggeranong)
Considering it wasn't a blowout on the Scoreboard its a great representation for SIRU with 7 Leeton Players selected

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
NSW Country will be too good for SIRU (Sorry the Brumbies Provincial Team) this Satyurday at Canberra

Potentially... but how good is it that 16 of our players are now presented with the opportunity to play quality rugby against a quality rep side in NSW country.

Its a great opportunity for our players to learn, develop and return with greater skill sets than they left with.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Well done to the SC/Monaro rep team being beaten today but putting in a formidable performance against Southern Inland. 41 - 13.

SC/M tactically battled for the first half. Aimless kicks to a quality back 3 and holes around the ruck. 29-3 at half time.

Second half a very different story. Quality change to the SC/M tactics. turned the game into a forward battle, starved SIRU of the ball and gained ascendancy in the forwards. Both SIRU tries the result of long range brilliance on turnover. Two tries a piece in the second half. Final score 41-13.

This is a far more sustainable structure for the Provincial championships. Once SC/M sorted out their tactics it was a really good physical battle played at a high intensity.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Gee that's a brave prediction Francis. If FSC/Monaro has proven to be such a future sustainable rep structure why have so few FSC/Monaro players been included in the Brumbies Provincial squad.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Gee that's a brave prediction Francis. If FSC/Monaro has proven to be such a future sustainable rep structure why have so few FSC/Monaro players been included in the Brumbies Provincial squad.

Just once. I'd like to hear something positive. It would have to be draining being so negative.

If you had your way what would the ideal setup be mate?
Noting that this was 'More' sustainable. Not a perfect scenario but a heap better setup than previously.

The issue isn't with our zone. The issue is that the best players in the Monaro zone don't nominate and we can't change that.

So let's just enjoy the fact that there is a pathway for our players to be exposed to quality footy and the opportunity to be seen by higher programs

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
First half. 8 starting forwards. 7 of them selected for Provincial side.
2nd half. 5 reserve forwards on. None selected. All reserve forwards are from SC/M.

on a side note, your turn to answer questions. I'd love to know who you attribute the blame on. Who's fault is it that we have, in your words, a "Debacle" of a rep program??? And what would you change to fix your perceived problems?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
OK Mauler. I'm probably wrong and I don't have a problem with you correcting me if I am. Didn't we play Far South Coast for example because they lie in Brumbies territory. They are inferior to SIRU. I don't really know about Monaro but I'm guessing they are better quality than FSC but still inferior to SIRU especially if their better players are not nominating for rep. I would change - not playing these zones. We could have gala day during the season where all teams played at Wagga, (or even Griffith with our great new facilities). Pick a SIRU side. Then if we could slot into a similar quality tier to us in the Canberra comp and have a similar weekend happen down there where a number of teams competed over the long weekend in June. Take a bit of organising. As for blame. I don't know nor much care. Interested to hear your thoughts Mauler. Am I way off the mark.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
OK Mauler. I'm probably wrong and I don't have a problem with you correcting me if I am. Didn't we play Far South Coast for example because they lie in Brumbies territory. They are inferior to SIRU. I don't really know about Monaro but I'm guessing they are better quality than FSC but still inferior to SIRU especially if their better players are not nominating for rep. I would change - not playing these zones. We could have gala day during the season where all teams played at Wagga, (or even Griffith with our great new facilities). Pick a SIRU side. Then if we could slot into a similar quality tier to us in the Canberra comp and have a similar weekend happen down there where a number of teams competed over the long weekend in June. Take a bit of organising. As for blame. I don't know nor much care. Interested to hear your thoughts Mauler. Am I way off the mark.

So I see a few things here.
SIRU. The SIRU side works well I feel. Good nominations from all clubs. Yeah we'd all like all players to be available but it's not possible. Personally I think that this part is pretty well set.

South Coast/Monaro.
Traditionally Monaro have been stronger than South Coast. Monaro have also won this tournament as recently as 2011 if I'm not mistaken. The issue with Monaro is that these guys are playing Canberra premier clubs, albeit their 3rds on a weekly basis. This was a massive step up from their previous competition. It's got to the point where these guys want a break on the June Long weekend. Also worth noting they don't have a competition bye this weekend. Another issue they currently face is that they are so close to the premier clubs, location wise. The quality juniors from Goulburn, Hall and Cooma are heading to play in Canberra in the Colts competition. One example here is Oscar Cunningham from Goulburn. Travels from Goulburn to Gungahlin to play colts. He has been selected in the Brumbies 10s team heading to Mauritius for the world club 10s. This doesn't happen in SIRU to near the same extent.
Monaro was made up this season from the div 2 sides with a small number of div 1 players. Boorowa, Yass, Jindabyne made up a massive portion of the side. Again 2 of the top placed div 2 clubs Crookwell and Taralga didn't nominate players for this side.
South coast are essentially a combined Bungendore/Braidwood/Batemans bay team. Broulee and Milton have both folded as clubs. South coast are lucky that Andy Goslett is at Bungendore with his premier grade experience in Canberra leading and attracting players.

The step from the SIRU side to Premier grade in Canberra is huge. Last season the SIRU rep side played a pre-season match against Queanbeyan and lost to their 1s,drew with their 2s and beat their 20s over 3 30 minute blocks.

The only way I can see the South Coast/Monaro side being any stronger is opening nominations to all the 3rd and 4th grade players. Essentially including the 7 premier clubs also. Weather you get many nominate or not is yet to be seen. This also has a counterproductive possibility. Div 1 and 2 players losing their pathways.

I don't think you're way off PB. We'd all love to have a more competitive provincial championships. I assume there is also a possibility for the Provincial match to be played in Griffith when SIRU host next season. I think Griffith rugby club would need to propose this? Is always great to showcase the quality setups in our zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.