• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
The Rebels say they are concerned about the mental anguish suffered by their players over uncertainty about their future. How does it help to relieve their angst when they let it be known that they will sign at least 9 Force players if the Force are given the boot? It sounds a bit hypocritical.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rebels say they are concerned about the mental anguish suffered by their players over uncertainty about their future. How does it help to relieve their angst when they let it be known that they will sign at least 9 Force players if the Force are given the boot? It sounds a bit hypocritical.

A lot of players off contract.

In addition, the Rebels have many PI players with family connections that don't see moving as an option. I'm sure they'd go if pushed, but still.

I am by no means saying the Force does not have the same issue, but I am saying that it is not hypocrisy.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Are you saying that they being cruel to their players by potentially signing up the Force players and thus pushing them out of jobs?

Let's be honest, there will have to be changes in the Rebels squad after this year.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Damages? When the club has been subsidised to the tune of tens of millions of dollars in the period it has been privately owned? Perhaps a chance that a refund is due to the ARU?

So has it been subsidised in the last couple of years over and above the agreement signed with Imperium?

The team has been heavily impacted by the uncertainty and the inability to sign up players and (probably) get a new coach will have a long term impact on the future performance of the club on and off the field.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
So, we've launched legal action?
So, where do we start with this one.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/9792868bdf56ebb698a2292feedda5bc

I understand the position from Imperium's point of view. As a purely private company, they would benefit from the reduction in team numbers. This would make it less likely that the ARU would try and cull the Rebels in future as well as improving the team capability (by having more to spend on players).

I don't think it is the right decision from a rugby perspective and would prefer they backed 5 teams but I can see where they are coming from.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...m/news-story/a61a4d03bb04c701d37034210aa23099

So, Genia is coming home to Australia. Preference remains Queensland but hasn't ruled out any other club.

Given they have three scrummies on the books, I can see two options:
  1. Genia finds another club
  2. One of the three will be released, probably Tuttle or Pickle.
Tuttle or Pickle might be a handy replacement for Meehan. And, given the social media bromance between mad dog and pickle, it might be another incentive to keep the mad dog in Melbourne. Straws, yes I know I'm clutching, but the internetz allows me to do this.

B

BLR

So has it been subsidised in the last couple of years over and above the agreement signed with Imperium?

Which included writing off $33 million in past debts. The agreement was trash. In most sports when a owner buys a team they are also liable for the debts.

Imperium shouldn't cry they were misled as the Rebels haven't looked like turning a profit, unless they didn't do their own due diligence.

Also, how would you quantify the damage done to the Rebels, the Rebel's are the ones that relied on Mr Dodgy Clarke before any announcement was made. What would have changed if this announcement hadn't been made? The Rebels still most likely would have played the same and the crowds would have more or less been the same, so where legitimately is the damage?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Which included writing off $33 million in past debts. The agreement was trash. In most sports when a owner buys a team they are also liable for the debts.

I wasn't aware of that and really, it is completely irrelevant. Contracts differ from each other

Imperium shouldn't cry they were misled as the Rebels haven't looked like turning a profit, unless they didn't do their own due diligence.

But they were mislead. The ARU have stated that they knew 5 teams were not sustainable back in 2011.

Also, how would you quantify the damage done to the Rebels, the Rebel's are the ones that relied on Mr Dodgy Clarke before any announcement was made. What would have changed if this announcement hadn't been made? The Rebels still most likely would have played the same and the crowds would have more or less been the same, so where legitimately is the damage?

I am sure that crowds have been impacted by the uncertainty and I am sure that the future profitability of the club has been massively impacted as they were unable to sign up appropriate players or a coach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am sure that crowds have been impacted by the uncertainty and I am sure that the future profitability of the club has been massively impacted as they were unable to sign up appropriate players or a coach.

That might have a small impact, and yes crowds are down all around the country, but in Melbourne there is now zero interest in the Rebels outside of the small niche rugby community.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That might have a small impact, and yes crowds are down all around the country, but in Melbourne there is now zero interest in the Rebels outside of the small niche rugby community.
You could say that about a lot of sporting teams: Storm, Mustangs, Ice, Vixens etc.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Are you saying that they being cruel to their players by potentially signing up the Force players and thus pushing them out of jobs?

Let's be honest, there will have to be changes in the Rebels squad after this year.

I think they should have kept letters of intent from Force players confidential until a final outcome was known. This news will add to the Rebels players mental distress about their future even if the Rebels do survive. Sounds like the Rebels are planning on culling a large chunk of their playing squad for next year anyway.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You could say that about a lot of sporting teams: Storm, Mustangs, Ice, Vixens etc.

The Storm had the second highest average crowds in the NRL last year, so no I don't think you could say that about them........

And a bunch of those teams actually receive more media coverage.

N

NTT

I wasn't aware of that and really, it is completely irrelevant. Contracts differ from each other

You were unaware that the $33 million in additional emergency funding to prop up the Rebels has directly caused the whole situation we are currently in where we will be losing a franchise because losing that much money is unsustainable? You are either the worlds most naive person or you are lying. Then to describe it as irrelevant? You're living in fantasy land. This whole situation was caused by the misdealings of your former CEO Rob Clarke.
You can't be serious.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

As a particularly 'metropolitan' and diverse city, the Melbourne rugby community is large. Though not all are engaged with local rugby or the Rebels.

The key is engagement, the threat of the axe and poor performance really does disengage people.

There's no simple answer to fix this, but there are incremental solutions for sure.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
You were unaware that the $33 million in additional emergency funding to prop up the Rebels has directly caused the whole situation we are currently in where we will be losing a franchise because losing that much money is unsustainable? You are either the worlds most naive person or you are lying. Then to describe it as irrelevant? You're living in fantasy land. This whole situation was caused by the misdealings of your former CEO Rob Clarke.
You can't be serious.

So when did the number jump to $33 Million or 5.5 per year additional to the rough 5 million wage bill. So the Rebels have cost $50 million of ARU money over 6 years.

The numbers coming from other teams change daily,

Or that Mitchell blew 10 million before the side even started, don't cook the books or your just as bad as the ARU in the first place.

I think I have heard it all and am just going to call BULL.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Let's be honest, it is pretty much the same across the whole country. The Rebels have dropped significantly through this year but every team is way down on historical crowds.

The Brumbies are struggling to get crowds much above the Rebels in a rugby city with the best performing team in the country and the Waratahs and Reds crowds are way down on prior years in our rugby strongholds.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I think they should have kept letters of intent from Force players confidential until a final outcome was known. This news will add to the Rebels players mental distress about their future even if the Rebels do survive. Sounds like the Rebels are planning on culling a large chunk of their playing squad for next year anyway.
I think it was Jamie Pandaram that broke the story about Coleman and five other players signing. Who knows who leaked it to him? I doubt it was anyone from the Rebels - unless they could see some strategic advantage in getting the info out there. The Rebels generally seem pretty good at keeping things on the QT.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)

Listen mate I've called you on this before and will again
33 million is an absolute fantasy that seems to be made up by Force supporters from god knows where and does your clubs position no benefit
Yes the Rebels have cost the game a significant amount of money but as a fact the amount they have received from the ARU in excess of other Super Rugby clubs over the journey is less than half the amount you nominate
So please no more bull shit
Either state your position as rumour or opinion not as fact when it's not

Status
Not open for further replies.