• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I wasn't at the Royals Vs Uni game but was at Brumbies this evening and Sione, Staniforth and Muirhead were all benching and had a run with Brumbies. Maybe Royals struggled without there main stay Brumbies players. Not sure if Cusack played or not today for Royals? As I recall he was ruled out with a head Knock against the Vikings a game or two back?? Maybe Royals don't have as much depth as people think they do? Good on Uni for giving them a good touch up !!

Last weekend in the Royals V's Queanbeyan game Staniforth and Cusack really laid the foundation for their go forward - but in the Queanbeyan game they were also missing Sione and Muirhead as they were on tour with the Brumbies.

I believe Cusack played for the Royals yesterday. I do agree that they prob don't have the greatest depth and when you take out a few of their key players/Brumbies players they are def not able to maintain that dominance.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also on a side note - was very interested to see Siope Neata play for Whites 3rd Grade side yesterday at No.8 - he has been a long time 2nd grade player/bench 1st grader for the Vikings at No.8.

He is a decent player to have regarding depth if he sticks around for the season at the Whites - I know he is a big league player as well - so may of just been having a bit of a run yesterday.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
With BJ missing Royals seemed to lack a little bit of leadership on field and went wide early a bit too often. Uni defended very well led by Sam Irwin at 10 who was everywhere, the D-Line came up with very few gaps and stifled Royals offload game. Cusack was on fire but without Staniforth pairing with him they didn't dominate the contact zone as they have in previous games.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
With BJ missing Royals seemed to lack a little bit of leadership on field and went wide early a bit too often. Uni defended very well led by Sam Irwin at 10 who was everywhere, the D-Line came up with very few gaps and stifled Royals offload game. Cusack was on fire but without Staniforth pairing with him they didn't dominate the contact zone as they have in previous games.

Do you think Uni could be a bit of a dark horse and knock off the Whites in the top 4?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Interesting story in the Canberra Times about how the local AFL comp has reduced the length of the quarters to avoid blow out scores owing to weaker teams fatiguing late in play. Could be a transferable solution if the ACTRU pass a rule to say all games that Easts feature in will consist of two 10 minute halves!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interesting story in the Canberra Times about how the local AFL comp has reduced the length of the quarters to avoid blow out scores owing to weaker teams fatiguing late in play. Could be a transferable solution if the ACTRU pass a rule to say all games that Easts feature in will consist of two 10 minute halves!

What a bullshit solution from the AFL - like something from Animal Farm

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
What a bullshit solution from the AFL - like something from Animal Farm

I thought it was pretty strange. Innovative, but odd. Can only imagine it will hurt local players' chances of advancing to a higher league. Be very hard to have to step up in skill level, pace and length of game. Fitness would have to suffer.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Squad for the Mauritius 10's is largely U20's plus 2 Brumbies players

SQUAD
Charlie Hancock (Uni-Norths Owls)
Samuel Thomas (Tuggeranong Vikings)
David Bennett (Uni-Norths Owls)
Angus Wagner (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Oscar Cunningham (Gungahlin Eagles)
Brodie Leber (Westerns Districts Lions)
Darcy Swain (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Joshua Fenner (Queanbeyan Whites)
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa (Sunnybank)
Jackson Duffey (Gungahlin Eagles)
Len Ikitau (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Jamie Kotz (Gungahlin Eagles)
Joshua Turner (Manly)
Ben Johnston (Royals Rugby Club)
Jarrad Butler
Aidan Toua

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone know how the Brumbies Singapore tour match on 22 June is likely to impact player availability for the JID? If touring players are not available this weekend I would have Wests as a huge chance to upset a massively depleted Royals. If players are unavailable for the 24 June round Queanbeyan will never get a better opportunity to roll a Tuggies outfit with a lot of star players out. Hopefully with direct flights to Singapore the Thursday game may not hugely impact either JID round but if it does it really has the potential to lock the final 4 places.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
There appears to be no stampede out as yet, but have heard that Royals have indeed lost Johnson, Cusack, staniforth, Muirhead and Sione to those overseas games. For that reason, I will jump on the Wests bandwagon today...Wests by 6.

There was only the 1 point between them last time. However, Unis brave loss to the Royals last round should give them a ton of confidence against the Whites. Uni by 7-10.

While Tuggers have won both games this year against Easts, the beasties have shown a great deal of spirit on each occasion. Would hope that happens again today but Tuggers have a pretty hot side ...Vikings by 50.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
John I Dent Cup: Royals down Wests in ' the most boring game' of season

• Matthew Nicoletti

Royals coach Wayne Southwell says his side's win against Wests on Saturday was the most boring game of rugby he's ever seen in his time at the club.
Top of the table Royals made it two from two against Wests this season with a 41-18 victory at Phillip Oval on Saturday.
The Canberra Times scared me to read this.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
About this time of year there is a list of about 30 for the Canberra Vikings train on squad. Who do the regular watchers of the Canberra Comp suggest.

I will start out with some usual suspects: Sione Taula, Connal McInerney, Angus Wagner, Darcy Swain, Oakman-Hunt twins, OJ Noa, Dan Penca, Brett Hamlin, Andrew Robinson, Brett Hamlin, George Morseu, and Jamie Kotz.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Royals 41 - Wests 18
Vikings 76 - Easts 0
Queanbeyan 33 - Uni-Norths 23

Queanbeyan played extremely well yesterday considering they are still an under-strength squad/club at the moment - with still a number of players out or guys like Oj Noa who have left the club mid-season.

Sok was back for the Whites yesterday after a good 4-5 weeks out (maybe longer) - he made a HUGE difference to the forward pack and gave them the experience/knowledge they have been missing (Penca can only do so much).

Danny Matthews played his best game of the year - not missing a kick and bagging 18 points.

Liam Moseley who is still technically still a colt is the best 10 running around in the comp at the moment I believe - you can see this guy could easily go onto higher things in the coming years - he is very much a controlling, nothing overly fancy no.10 but he just does all the right things. He should be selected in the Canberra Vikings squad.

I thought Uni-Norths would of brought a bit more yesterday - I found them somewhat disappointing - the score line doesn't reflect out dominate the Whites were - they let in a couple of soft tries/one right on the bell.

Another player who got randomly sneak into the eyes of the Canberra Vikings is Larry Manu - started in 2nd grade but now cemented his spot on 1st grade on the wing for the Whites - he has been smashing it - great pace, great skill - if he keeps pushing himself he could possibly push himself into the squad.

Players from Queanbeyan who could be wearing red later in the year:

Daniel Penca
Sok
Carl Elliot
Liam Moseley
Danny Matthews
Larry Manu
Neori Nadruku - he has really stepped it up the last month
JR - If he ever gets un-injured

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
G'day,

I went out to QBN on the weekend and braved the cold. I have to start by saying it was a brilliant game of footy. I think I might have said this last year but that was the best game of rugby I've seen in a long time.

Queanbeyan fought the good fight and starved Tuggeranong for possession (especially in the 2nd half) and were very strong at the breakdown (nothing new there). But in the end Tuggeranong were able to strike late with the little possession they had.

Early it looked like it was going to be a long day for the whites with jake knight scoring two tries in the first 10 minutes. QBN were able to get back into the game through their set piece forcing a number of scrum penalties ultimately resulting in a penalty try and Angus Wagner being sin binned. Wagner was replaced by Taula at Half time which moved Mcgrath over to tight-head this seemed to fix the problem with vikings forcing a crucial tighthead in their defensive 22 midway through the 2nd half.

Queanbeyan lead 20-17 for most of the 2nd half with the Vikings scoring two late tries to run away with the game. Carl Elliot was sinbinned (i'm not sure what for) late which probably assisted with the vikings scoring two quick tries.

Tuggeranong were unbelievable in defense most teams would have leaked 50 with what Queanbeyan threw at them.

There were plenty of good performances but the guys that stood out to me were Swain, Robinson, Mcgrath and Tittor and for QBN Penca (no suprises there), Moseley, White and Sok.

Hopefully the mrs will give me the afternoon off baby duty to watch them play royals on saturday from what i've been hearing royals are still red hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.