• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT JRU U18 Competition & ACT Schools XV 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris9012

Frank Row (1)
Marist 1st & Grammar 2nd, yet only have 8 and 6 boys selected for representative respectively :rolleyes:

Yes, another peculiar selection within the ACT representative team with the most boys deriving from St Edmunds, a team scraping in at 3rd due to point differentiation. Also rumored is that several of these boys didn't even compete during the ASC vs CSC match on Wednesday. I must say that I am perplexed, as the selections do not represent the talent of this team, demonstrated by their present results.
I am curious however with how much input Eddies associate, Pat Langtry has had, traditionally being one who has much sway over the selections of this team, (the hidden coach one might say). Thoughts???

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
It has a significant affect - history has documented this well. The real proof in the pudding comes later after school.

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
The squad for the Victorian Trial has been announced, well done boys!

Joel Atkins
Joseph Cameron
Tuati Chan
Isacc Crowe
Jean Vincent de Masson
Stirling Doyle
Oliver Efkarpidis
Lachlan Fedorow
Ben Foote
Jack Gilmour
William Goddard
Thomas Haddard
Liam Harrison
Zane Hogan
Wyll Holland
Thomas Iles
Brendan Jimenez
Fred Kaihea
Nick Katsogiannis
Jack Kearns
Peter Lefau
Lachlan Lonergan
Zane Marolt
Lachlan Osborne
Abraham Peters
Alex Punou
Harry Quinlan
Yabaki Seeto
Stuart Sellar
Seamus Smith
Connor Smith
Lincoln Smith
Jack Wright

Barnesy_98

Frank Row (1)
It has a significant affect - history has documented this well. The real proof in the pudding comes later after school.

Would have said that the ACT Schools team is picked on how players perform at school rather than after it myself. As for the preference for St Eddies boy, if you had some idea of the facts you'd know that there were only 3 eddies boys in the team last year....quite strange considering that they were the premiers. Lets not forget that eddies have also won 8 of the last 10 grand finals - so if there is more eddies boys in the team than from other schools there is, as you say it 'proof in the pudding'.

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Would have said that the ACT Schools team is picked on how players perform at school rather than after it myself. As for the preference for St Eddies boy, if you had some idea of the facts you'd know that there were only 3 eddies boys in the team last year..quite strange considering that they were the premiers. Lets not forget that eddies have also won 8 of the last 10 grand finals - so if there is more eddies boys in the team than from other schools there is, as you say it 'proof in the pudding'.
You have missed my point. For a school that has had between 70-80 Aus schools reps they don't have much of a track record for kicking on to wallaby selection unlike the schools who sit above them, Joeys and Nudgee. That is a fact (the proof in the pudding)

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
Here is the group of boys that will face off against NSW Country and Sydney Juniors - Congratulations and good luck.

Joel Atkins – Daramalan College
Joseph Cameron – Canberra Grammar School
Tuati Chan-Tung – Hawker College
Isacc Crowe – Daramalan College
Jean Vincent de Masson – St Edmund’s College
Stirling Doyle – Daramalan College
Jack Gilmour – Erindale College
William Goddard – Canberra Grammar School
Thomas Haddard – Daramalan College
Zane Hogan – St Edmund’s College
Wyll Holland – St Edmund’s College
Thomas Iles – Marist College
Brendan Jimenez – St Edmund’s College
Fred Kaihea – Erindale College
Nick Katsogiannis – Canberra Grammar School
Jack Kearns – Marist College
Peter Lefau – Erindale College
Lachlan Lonergan – Trinity Christian School
Zane Marolt – St Edmund’s College
Lachlan Osborne – Canberra Grammar School
Abraham Peters – Gungahlin College
Harry Quinlan – Marist College
Yabaki Seeto – St Edmund’s College
Stuart Sellar – Canberra Grammar School
Seamus Smith – Marist College
Connor Smith – Marist College
Lincoln Smith – Marist College

Barnesy_98

Frank Row (1)
You have missed my point. For a school that has had between 70-80 Aus schools reps they don't have much of a track record for kicking on to wallaby selection unlike the schools who sit above them, Joeys and Nudgee. That is a fact (the proof in the pudding)

No you're wrong - when have you mentioned aus schools reps in this post before this? - you have changed the discussion. This was about ACT Schools for which Eddies should have had the most players picked.

Anyway, Aus schools have always (for the most part) been either the no.1 no.2 , or no. 3 international schoolboy team, unlike the wallabies - so there can't be discussion of selections. Besides that, you have carried on like a moron - the team is picked on performance AT SCHOOL! Who cares what they might be like as a player down the track....the point is to pick the best Australian Schools team....whether these players develop into wallabies is irrelevant.

Eddies have traditionally been one of the best rugby schools in Australia which explains their high number daaaaahhh - and a teacher that has been there for 15 years (?) certainly wasn't there from the schools founding so he obviously isn't the reason for the high number of reps. eddies rugby was traditionally tough, aggressive and bullying...perhaps the reason why they didn't kick on to wallabies - everyone caught up to them after school.

I'd say you are some silver spoon marist or grammar parent that has the squirts that the blue collared eddies boys are being picked ahead of your spoiled son, even though he tucks in his shirt and has good manners

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
No you're wrong - when have you mentioned aus schools reps in this post before this? - you have changed the discussion. This was about ACT Schools for which Eddies should have had the most players picked.

Anyway, Aus schools have always (for the most part) been either the no.1 no.2 , or no. 3 international schoolboy team, unlike the wallabies - so there can't be discussion of selections. Besides that, you have carried on like a moron - the team is picked on performance AT SCHOOL! Who cares what they might be like as a player down the track..the point is to pick the best Australian Schools team..whether these players develop into wallabies is irrelevant.

Eddies have traditionally been one of the best rugby schools in Australia which explains their high number daaaaahhh - and a teacher that has been there for 15 years (?) certainly wasn't there from the schools founding so he obviously isn't the reason for the high number of reps. eddies rugby was traditionally tough, aggressive and bullying.perhaps the reason why they didn't kick on to wallabies - everyone caught up to them after school.

I'd say you are some silver spoon marist or grammar parent that has the squirts that the blue collared eddies boys are being picked ahead of your spoiled son, even though he tucks in his shirt and has good manners

Alright no need to throw wild accusations!!
War Chest is trying to say that the initial schoolboys cut there were more eddies boys than Marist or Grammar which in fact shouldn't have been the case due to the results between the 3 schools. Now I'm sure the selectors have a clear thought process of selecting the best team possible but it was unusual for it to happen (you would think the best team would have more selected instead of relying on previous school year's reputation).
Anyways the recent cut has evened out and it is as predicted so case closed

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
Barnesy, if you are going to accuse me of straying off topic then please heed your own advice and do the same rather than waging a class war and making ludicrous comments about people being silver spooners and so on?? My stats about conversion post school are factual though and as irrelevant as you believe that may be it is a fact, 100% fact.

In any case, if I strayed away from the subject of ACT selections, overall I don't begrudge eddies having dominant selections over the past 10-15 years because just as you have pointed out they have been the most successful side in the ACT and that would then correlate. Despite this, not every selection at that level has always been correct (in my opinion)...but hey that's footy.

I wont bother dissecting the rest of your comment, I have to go and tuck my sons shirt in and work on those manners of his you thought were so good.

Lastly, great to see ACT give it to Victoria and get a good prep for the NSW Country game. Hopefully bodes well for the national champs preparation.

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Got out to watch my Grammar team to play and saw them get completely outclassed and outeverythinged by a strong Daramalan outfit, that comprehensively smoked them 37-0!! After a solid outting from all reports against Marist and to this, I'm Gobsmacked!

Heard on the grapevine that Eddies defeated Vikings 52-17 however Vikings had 2 red cards???

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
The ACT Schoolboys Team has been selected, congratulations to the following boys:

Joel Atkins – Daramalan College
Tuati Chan-Tung – Hawker College
Isacc Crowe – Daramalan College
Jean Vincent de Masson – St Edmund’s College
Jack Gilmour – Erindale College
William Goddard – Canberra Grammar School
Thomas Haddard – Daramalan College
Zane Hogan – St Edmund’s College
Wyll Holland – St Edmund’s College
Thomas Iles – Marist College
Brendan Jimenez – St Edmund’s College
Fred Kaihea – Erindale College
Nick Katsogiannis – Canberra Grammar School
Jack Kearns – Marist College
Peter Lefau – Erindale College
Lachlan Lonergan – Trinity Christian School
Zane Marolt – St Edmund’s College
Lachlan Osborne – Canberra Grammar School
Harry Quinlan – Marist College
Stuart Sellar – Canberra Grammar School
Seamus Smith – Marist College
Connor Smith – Marist College
Lincoln Smith – Marist College

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Grammar defeated Vikings yesterday 26-7, both pretty much playing without their ACT players!
Unsure about the Marist vs Dara game, I expect it was close?

Ruckedknee

Stan Wickham (3)
Massive congratulations to ACT at the Australian School Championships. Goes to show yet again that a great team will always beat a team of great players. Very impressed with the way the lads have kicked away at the tail-end of each game. Fitness, preparation, resilience, teamwork - all paying off.

Anthony Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Extremely a quiet on the forum, even regarding the amazing win by the ACT boys at Nationals, or about the selections of the Australian teams!

Very interesting to see Daramalan and Grammar tussle on Friday night, with Dara coming up trumps 24-20 even with 14 boys (red card 20mins in), my grammar boys just can't seem to knock off Dara which may seem them settle into 4th position!

In the Vikings eddies game, again very impressed with the Russian Prop Jean Vincent, absolute powerhouse pushing eddies to a 50-7 win (roughly)

Looking forward to the eddies Marist game this weekend

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
Marist put on a clinical display on Saturday to dispatch Eddies, cementing them as the overwhelming favourite to take out the title this year.

The next interesting clash will be Marist v Grammar this week.

Nigel Ah-Wong

Frank Row (1)
G'day my brothers,
After a short stint away from the schoolboy rugby scene, I returned to see a swashbuckling display of running rugby at St.Edmund's College between Eddies and the undefeated Marist outfit. The stage was set for a classic with many Eddies' fans believing an upset was on the cards. But how wrong could they have been? The might of the blue and blue backed up in a stellar performance which highlighted why a few of their stars were selected in the Australian schoolboys side. Marist's defense was tight and the Eddies' offence was not sufficiently lubricated as to slide through, indicating a lack of repetition on he training paddock. Ben Cassie bagged a brilliant hat trick in a much heated game. There appeared to be much banter on the field and when Lincoln Smith decided he had seen enough and ran over St.Edmund's and Barbarian's fullback, Brendan Jimanez, tensions were heightened as it was clear that Marist are by far the dominant outfit in this competition. Another standout for Marist was Tom Iles. The crowd loved his tenacity at the breakdown and impeccable consistency at the set piece. I thought St.Edmunds' Russian prop would be able to easily account for Iles, however Iles aimed up after his Barbarians selection and played a captain's knock in the victory. Marist won the game 37-0 and I can't see them being pegged back from here!
Until next time Mālō e lakoifua my solè

Status
Not open for further replies.