• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Lance didn't have the form this year that he had for the first 6 rounds last year before he got injured, but he's the most sensible backup 10 choice in his game is more similar to Foleys than Quade's is. He can come in and distribute in a more traditional fashion.

Quade is too erratic for the players around him if they don't have existing combinations.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is paper thin and puts a lot of pressure on Foley. To not have a backup 5/8 in a train on squad of 38 that will likely have another 6 or so added from the Brumbies is reckless, being that there is not a recognized fly half likely to come from them(Lealifano has not had any playing time this year).

Giving Quade and Higgers the public hand slap of not being included in the wider wider squad is nonsensical as well. Give them a chance to show what they have in training and cut them when the squad is finalized if need be, but no need for the public humiliation tactic. They have both returned and re-comitted to Australian rugby for the future.

I'm not following this at all...

It seems pretty clear, Higgers wasn't great in June and they have gone for youth. (I still wouldn't have picked Dempsey, but .............. RHP would have been his replacement, not Higgers) It appears that Timani and McMahon will be the 8 options looking at the squad. Neither is crap and both play a much more physical game than Higgers

Even Cooper's most ardent fans would have to admit he hasn't been great this season, hopefully he finds some form playing in the NRC. He needs to be prepared to take contact and square up the attack more often

It appears that Cheika thinks Beale is a better, or at least comparable backup, to an out of form Cooper.

Not having decent back ups is a symptom of having too many foreigners playing 10 for aus rugby sides

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Anyone notice that wherever Jono Lance goes success happens.
Premiership with Reds
Premiership with Tahs
Force come 2nd in Australian conference. Best result to date.

Just get him in the Wallaby squad and the Bledisloe is ours.

Yeah, as a bench option, a good player, but he doesn't seem to be able to hold down a starting spot at super rugby

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No, they wouldn't Fatprop - but we should still be picking a squad which includes the best players to enable us to have the most competitive game Day team we can. I don't believe this squad does that.

I don't care if Cheika picks 100 development players, so long as the best couple in each position are there as well. At the moment, from what I can see, we are looking at a match Day squad which will include at least 2 of Hanigan, McMahon, Dempsey & Hardwick. I find that ridiculous.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Even Cooper's most ardent fans would have to admit he hasn't been great this season, hopefully he finds some form playing in the NRC. He needs to be prepared to take contact and square up the attack more often

Talking as a fan, no he hasn't, but honestly has Foley? Lance? Nor do I agree that his issue is taking contact and squaring up the attack. What I've been seeing is our ball speed being too slow and allowing the opposition rush defence to get in front of and between Quade and second receiver. And then he tries too hard, pushing passes when the traffic is already on him. It's the "tryiong too hard" thing that is his worst problem. In terms of backline leadership he has bee very good at talking and geeing guys up. More concerning is the accuracy of his kicks - kick passes. There is little point in having a Quade if those kicks aren't a touch more accurate than 2017.

Overall he is just not anywhere near as bad as his critics suggest, though there is simply not enough to consider him over the incumbent Foley 2017 - so we agreee that far at least.

It appears that Cheika thinks Beale is a better, or at least comparable backup, to an out of form Cooper.

For game day back up this makes sense. For an actual back up if Foley is injured not at all. And it isn't a polemic of Quade or Beale. For the back up 10 role its a polemic of Quade or Lance. One of them should be there. Lilo perhaps, but wouldn't THAT be a hail Mary.

Not having decent back ups is a symptom of having too many foreigners playing 10 for aus rugby sides

Agree entirely, not just the 10 role either. We are let down by out of form Waratahs and Reds. Big time.

As a final note, something that will be well understood now, but Foley is a strategically poor selection if you choose a backline with big boppers in the centres. He really needs a second playmaker at 12. Though might be countered by a Beale/Hunt with roving duty to come in regularly to 10/12 from wherever they are played.

T

TOCC

Yeah, as a bench option, a good player, but he doesn't seem to be able to hold down a starting spot at super rugby

This isn't actually true.. when he was at the Reds he was first choice fullback for almost all of the 2013 season, and even before that in 2011 in his debut season he was the starting fullback through the Reds finals campaign, including Grand Final.

For the Force, he has only been on the bench 4 times in the past 2 seasons and has been the starting flyhalf 14 times. Last weekend when Force beat the Tahs, he was a reserve, but ended up playing almost all the match anyway.

Perhaps what you're remembering is his time at the Tahs, where he was a bench option.

Lance should have been in the squad, he has displayed more then Foley this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No, they wouldn't Fatprop - but we should still be picking a squad which includes the best players to enable us to have the most competitive game Day team we can. I don't believe this squad does that.

I don't care if Cheika picks 100 development players, so long as the best couple in each position are there as well. At the moment, from what I can see, we are looking at a match Day squad which will include at least 2 of Hanigan, McMahon, Dempsey & Hardwick. I find that ridiculous.

Cheika is pretty clear in the style he wants, if he doesn't think a player is going to fit in to that style you can understand why they are not selected.

The backrow worries me greatly.

The challenge is as always getting the balance, I expect Timani and Hooper to start so the 6 will need to be a lineout option, so I think Hanigan will get the role with McMahon coming on for Timani and on the evidence of the June tests, I don't think we have other options.

And honestly I don't think either Higgers (or Fardy) would alleviate those concerns, neither have greater physical presence on the field, both do good things but not in the core areas Cheika wants.

I agree Hanigan was only OK in June, his only upside is his age, he appears to be that raw boned physical unit that we need and hopefully he can grow into the role

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This isn't actually true.. when he was at the Reds he was first choice fullback for almost all of the 2013 season, and even before that in 2011 when he was the starting fullback through the Reds finals campaign.

For the Force, he has only been on the bench 4 times in the past 2 seasons and has been the starting flyhalf 14 times.

Perhaps what you're remembering is his time at the Tahs, where he was a bench option.

and finishing the season on the bench, probably wrong impression, I think in the end injury cruelled his chances

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cheika is pretty clear in the style he wants, if he doesn't think a player is going to fit in to that style you can understand why they are not selected.

The backrow worries me greatly.

The challenge is as always getting the balance, I expect Timani and Hooper to start so the 6 will need to be a lineout option, so I think Hanigan will get the role with McMahon coming on for Timani and on the evidence of the June tests, I don't think we have other options.

And honestly I don't think either Higgers (or Fardy) would alleviate those concerns, neither have greater physical presence on the field, both do good things but not in the core areas Cheika wants.

I agree Hanigan was only OK in June, his only upside is his age, he appears to be that raw boned physical unit that we need and hopefully he can grow into the role
What is that style - I presume you are not referring to defence (the style being to allow 2 man overlaps as often as possible).
And what is it that Fardy doesn't bring? My abiding memory of him will be of him looking like a WW1 western front digger after sticking his head into the dangerous parts of every ruck and maul. Fardy has done a lot of hard grafting work when're picked.
I like Hanigan but his role as an enforcer, which he seems to adopt, is more comedic than intimidating.
Too many show ponies in the back row

T

TOCC

and finishing the season on the bench, probably wrong impression, I think in the end injury cruelled his chances

His last game he actually played almost all the match where the Force flogged the Tahs and Lance outplayed Foley .. how's that for impressions

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hope both Beale & Hunt start

Fenia
Foley
DHP. Out of position
Hunt. Out of position
TK
Folau. Out of position
Beale. Out of position

Would be my preference

This is something I'd like Australia to really work hard on. That backline above has guys I'd like to see as well, but they are having to play out of position so is it any wonder the backline looks like it only just met up in the carpark before the game.

I'd like the Australian teams to sort their shit out with the wallabies and figure out where the guys are supposed to play. Hunt is wanted at 12? Great, then he's a 12 at the Reds and Duncan immediately goes to the brumbies as a 12. Or vice versa. Folau on the wing? Then that's where he plays for the tahs from now on.

Keeping the guys as instinctive as possible is going to allow them more time in a match than if they gave to think through every single thing they do because they are out of position.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Skelton Horne and Fardy have been released now. Cheika sticking with his 'unless they are starters then they can go'

Doesn't really explain Mcmahon and Magnay but then again...it's cheika.

- Picked Higs due to Super Rugby form, but Dempsey got picked based on nothing.

- Drops Higs for a lack of impact in June series when having to play the enforcer when partnered with Hanigan and Hooper....Dempsey also did nothing and couldn't play that role either.

- Cheika says Super Rugby form doesn't mean anything at test level. Doesn't pick Quade because of his Super Rugby form.

- Gibson says he got told Dempsey is planned by Cheika to be able to play 8, Cheika picked Dempsey as a utility and if he stuck with his plan of not picking leaving players, Dempsey would be a clear like for like for Mcmahon but Cheika still doesn't pick RHP who is a form developing 6 in a physical profile we are losing in Fardy but not replacing.

Cheika also complains about Super Rugby teams aren't getting players fit enough for test rugby..... His national team coaches are Super Rugby coaches......how did they not know they weren't going to be fit enough for the national team when they work in the national team? If they didn't know, how didn't they know? Surely in professional sport fitness can be measured..........How was Cheika surprised? Couldn't he just call Larkham and say...hey...Berny, how fit are your guys coming with us to the Wallabies?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Gel I think there is too much emphasis placed on what position someone players for their soup team and the implication that that must be their best position. Firstly the soup franchises have 35 players on their rosters and have to shuffle them around when there are injuries etc, and secondly it's a different style of game and each coach has a different game plan.

So when selecting players for a certain position, the national coach is going to shortlist based on what he wants out of them and how they fit into the overall plan.

From FP's backline there I'd argue that DHP is the only one that is truly out of position. Having 3 fullbacks as the back 3 is a bit of overkill, 2 is understandable and for the other wing I'd bench DHP for either Naivalu or Speight, a genuine hard running winger.