• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Twiggy might be a bit short this year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...ve-title-determination-twiggy-forrest/8727140

The Federal Court has recognised an exclusive native title claim over land on which Fortescue Metals Group's $280 billion Solomon mine sits in WA's ore-rich Pilbara region, potentially allowing the group to sue Andrew Forrest's company for millions of dollars in compensation.

Tbh it wouldn't touch the sides of his operation.

I think the $400million he donated to philanthropy earlier this year would have been a greater cost

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting to see what outcome of Super Rugby cull ends up for oz teams.

As have twiggy pledging support for force made it interesting - but yes we are all waiting to see what it means. Does not seem the kind of guy interested in buying a sports team so not sure how much financial support on offer as that is what Force need and to be honest ARU needs (as part of solving one of the two problems to be solved).

As in short the two problems needing to be solved is finances and player depth/quality for oz teams.

Twiggy if he pledged some big bickies for force could solve part of that problem but yes money alone won't solve it, unless there is no restrictions on who they can recruit (read: overseas stars outside of oz) as I would agree at this point there is not the depth at this point to field 5 quality professional rugby sides to compete in a competition that involves kiwi's....and not enough interest to probably create our own fully professional national competition (but semi pro maybe which is where I hope it heads as an aside).

I have no idea where things will go rugby wise in oz but hopefully someone / or some new group emerges with a plan to take rugby both at grassroots and professional level forward which sees new fans added rather than the continued departure of so many fairweather and even rusted on fans over the last decade, and accelerate rapidly over last few years in particular.

I guess just got to watch this space....but for me first season for a while I did not go to one Tahs game as I usually drag a lot of (fairweather) rugby mates to Tahs games but did not bother this season as they have showed little interest in spending money on what is not cheap for quality and current reputation of what is Australian Rugby. And to be honest I was not that motivated to go myself and talk them into going either to super rugby or tests. NRC local games should be able to convince my mates and only games of rugby will probably see this season. But I am sure I am no different to many that super rugby fiasco killed a little of my overall passion for rugby.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
No figures to back this up, but I can't see Super Rugby getting to 2019 in Australia with crowds and interest like we've had. Something has to give.

We only have as many professionals in this country as we do because of the income of Super Rugby. If the crowds watching it say no, as they have, Super Rugby goes away, our best go overseas, the rest become semi pro at best in some NRC on 7mate which replaces Super Rugby.

It's almost A-League like in that regard, those at the start and end of their careers play at home, the prime guys are overseas.

Just a prediction if something doesn't shake loose and I don't see what can to be honest.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have to face the awful fact that Soup has just not captured the sporting public's imagination. Not sure exactly why, although it is pretty obvious that some really stupid mistakes were made, like trying to rely on just a non-specific team name (no geographical markers at all), and allowing the Auckland team to use the name "Blues", when that colour really should have been quarantined because of its meaning in the Australian context.

The entrance of the Sunwolves and the Jaguares was just a little sideshow, in one way, but it just made the whole business less and less comprehensible to the potential viewer.

People watch sport for a variety of reasons, but the best reason is if a viewer cares about the result. Ideally, hates one team, and loves the other, in the contest.

Most viewers either do not know, or worse still, do not care, who the contestants are in the vast majority of Soup contests.

That Is one reason that I have promoted the idea of using existing clubs in a domestic competition. At least some of them have some history, and some tradition.

The only one of the Australian franchises whose name has any tradition is the Waratahs. And sadly that name has now lost all its cachet. It's worth nothing.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
No figures to back this up, but I can't see Super Rugby getting to 2019 in Australia with crowds and interest like we've had. Something has to give.

We only have as many professionals in this country as we do because of the income of Super Rugby. If the crowds watching it say no, as they have, Super Rugby goes away, our best go overseas, the rest become semi pro at best in some NRC on 7mate which replaces Super Rugby.

It's almost A-League like in that regard, those at the start and end of their careers play at home, the prime guys are overseas.

Just a prediction if something doesn't shake loose and I don't see what can to be honest.
That's always been my position too. With the ever increasing wage discrepancies a and time zone issues, long term Aus pro-rugby is stuffed, it's all just eeking out a way to survive for as long as possible until it happens.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
We have to face the awful fact that Soup has just not captured the sporting public's imagination. Not sure exactly why, although it is pretty obvious that some really stupid mistakes were made, like trying to rely on just a non-specific team name (no geographical markers at all), and allowing the Auckland team to use the name "Blues", when that colour really should have been quarantined because of its meaning in the Australian context.

LOL. The competition doesn't revolve around Australia.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The entrance of the Sunwolves and the Jaguares was just a little sideshow, in one way, but it just made the whole business less and less comprehensible to the potential viewer.

People watch sport for a variety of reasons, but the best reason is if a viewer cares about the result. Ideally, hates one team, and loves the other, in the contest.

Most viewers either do not know, or worse still, do not care, who the contestants are in the vast majority of Soup contests.

That Is one reason that I have promoted the idea of using existing clubs in a domestic competition. At least some of them have some history, and some tradition.

The only one of the Australian franchises whose name has any tradition is the Waratahs. And sadly that name has now lost all its cachet. It's worth nothing.

Using the clubs won't work either. For a couple of reasons. First, they exist in a bubble themselves which is far too insular in its nature. Second, within that bubble the culture is far too parochial. Can you honestly tell me that you could see if say Manly were to enter some national club league that anyone attached to the Rats would get behind them. Same for East's/R and wick and so on. No chance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

And when all that happens, the Wallabies will be filled with overseas players with maybe a token local or two if they want to remain competitive with the best. Further down the track, as NZ rugby then suffers from lack of quality opposition on a week to week basis, the two countries will come together to form a cross Tasman comp, and we'll both start to retain more of the better players and the quality will slowly return to reach the ultimate where we are again ranked Nos 1 and 2.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Poor performance is hurting Super Rugby at present but it's the very nature of the competition that allows for that to occur. Think about all our most popular leagues. The are all domestic. Wamberal mentions loss of brand recognition as a key issue which could be an issue but the biggest one is that outside of the derbies no one really cares about who any of the Aus teams are playing week to week as there is no common link.

Our market only cares about our domestic rivalries. And that's what we should be looking toward as well. In essence we need to do an A-League.

I still think the NRC is a solid structure for this with a little tweaking.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
In addition to all of the other issues our game is struggling with, I have concerns that the Pay TV sector will not be viable enough to continue to pay the sponsorship for Super Rugby. Foxtel has so much additional competition that charge subscriptions of $10 per month whereas a Foxtel package with the Rugby comes in at $70. Am guessing Foxtel will struggle to hold onto subscribers resulting in cost cutting.
For mine, its all the more reason that the grassroots should be nurtured as without Foxtel funding Super Rugby might be stuffed, and what then would be left?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
In addition to all of the other issues our game is struggling with, I have concerns that the Pay TV sector will not be viable enough to continue to pay the sponsorship for Super Rugby. Foxtel has so much additional competition that charge subscriptions of $10 per month whereas a Foxtel package with the Rugby comes in at $70. Am guessing Foxtel will struggle to hold onto subscribers resulting in cost cutting.
For mine, its all the more reason that the grassroots should be nurtured as without Foxtel funding Super Rugby might be stuffed, and what then would be left?

It's called evolution. Foxtel has been focusing more and more on their streaming services in the face of increased competition. That will continue.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Poor performance is hurting Super Rugby at present but it's the very nature of the competition that allows for that to occur. Think about all our most popular leagues. The are all domestic. Wamberal mentions loss of brand recognition as a key issue which could be an issue but the biggest one is that outside of the derbies no one really cares about who any of the Aus teams are playing week to week as there is no common link.

Our market only cares about our domestic rivalries. And that's what we should be looking toward as well. In essence we need to do an A-League.

I don't know what the answer is but it is not the current Super Rugby crap we are fed.....I can't see how it is going to get better by limping on until end of the current broadcast deal as will just create further damage and loss of fan support which will make it harder to re-generate even with a new completion from 2020.

South Africa has a plan B with pro 12 whilst our incredibly inept ARU appears to have NFI.....I use to try and be polite and balanced towards the ARU but now I hold them in complete contempt for what they have done to rugby in this country.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't know what the answer is but it is not the current Super Rugby crap we are fed...I can't see how it is going to get better by limping on until end of the current broadcast deal as will just create further damage and loss of fan support which will make it harder to re-generate even with a new completion from 2020.

South Africa has a plan B with pro 12 whilst our incredibly inept ARU appears to have NFI...I use to try and be polite and balanced towards the ARU but now I hold them in complete contempt for what they have done to rugby in this country.

You what I'd like to see. Feel free to disagree. I'd like to see the ARU look to sell the NRC as a structure to investors as a means of privatising the structure and looking to refocus it as a competition that is geared toward actually developing itself as a product rather than purely player development.

Someone like Andrew Forrest would be ideal a he has deep pockets or even do something similar to the 'Save the Force' concept. Actually that would be a reasonable option to begin with as a means of determining value. Take the professional game out of the ARU hands.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

We also think all of our Super Rugby teams are crap because they keep on losing to NZ. No one knows (or cares) about our NRL / AFL teams and what their real quality is because they are fully domestic. Also really the same for the A-League which we know is not top tier quality.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's not just that they lose, it is the inept way they perform. I am happy to watch Eastwood lose in the SS (sort of....) as long as they play as well as they can.

I am buggered if I want to watch Australia's supposed best play so poorly. Come on, guys, it's 15 against 15. The Keewees are not Supermen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't know what the answer is but it is not the current Super Rugby crap we are fed...I can't see how it is going to get better by limping on until end of the current broadcast deal as will just create further damage and loss of fan support which will make it harder to re-generate even with a new completion from 2020.

South Africa has a plan B with pro 12 whilst our incredibly inept ARU appears to have NFI...I use to try and be polite and balanced towards the ARU but now I hold them in complete contempt for what they have done to rugby in this country.

Not defending the ARU at all, but SA is differently positioned, literally. The Pro 12 is in the right time zone to enable a move for their cut teams quite easily out of Super Rugby into a comp of comparable quality without too much fuss. No such option exists here unless Super Rugby ceases to be and the Kiwis agree to it - something they have thus far been not at all interested in doing. And no, sticking our teams into a Japanese league would not be the same thing. So it would be at least a 2 step process.

Status
Not open for further replies.