• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ross Xenos pressing his case for a Asia-Pacific competition in NZ.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/o...on-will-make-rugby-super-again?cid=app-iPhone

"And if you don't like the idea and an Australasian competition isn't for you? That South Africa means more to you than your Tasman neighbours? Then, were it only the players' view that mattered, enjoy flying over us as we build a domestic competition to rival England or France."

1taiu2.jpg

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Twiggy underwrites ‘Own the Force’.

Clicky
July 30​
The Super Rugby saga: Twiggy steps up
Well readers, a couple of weeks after his dramatic declaration to save the Force, Andrew Forrest has backed his words with action. And dollars.​
… Here’s what the iron ore magnate will tell the world today:​
Andrew Forrest AO has called on ARU to lead, not just litigate. There are clear solutions available to encourage rugby across Australia and support the most viable, strongest teams. This should be sorted out in meeting rooms not court rooms​
Western Australian of the Year, Mr Andrew Forrest AO, has called on the Australian Rugby Union to declare its support for the Western Force after an unprecedented show of grassroots support for the club.​
The ‘Own the Force’ campaign has had a stunning response with 4,700 people committing to fund the club, to the tune of $8 million.​
Mr Forrest has thrown the full spectrum of support into saving the Western Force. This now includes offering unsecured and interest free loans to those supporters who really want to join the ‘Own the Force’ fund but can’t afford to. The loans would then be repaid to Rugby WA, not to Mr Forrest.​
Mr Forrest said he was humbled by the passion Western Australians have shown for ensuring the Western Force not only survived but thrived.​
“I have not had to pick up the phone. Business leaders have been calling me,” Mr Forrest said. “Support has also come from ordinary folk, from all over the state, who don’t even follow rugby. Like me, they have been inspired by this incredible grassroots movement to save the Western Force.” …​

He goes on to talk about exploring all options of club mergers, and so on.

Read further: http://nedlandsrugby.com.au/2017/07/30/super-rugby-saga-twiggy-steps/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wow. SANZAAR can't even sell this super rugby comp to rugby mad New Zealand. Two Kiwi teams in a semi and the ground is barely half full.

This certainly puts to rest the latest excuse being peddled by the apologists "super rugby is only failing in Australia because the teams aren't winning"

Which is not only demonstrably false in the Australian context, but we now see that two winning Kiwi teams can't even draw a crowd.

Super Rugby is a dead parrot, the punters have had enough.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^
The crowd was not as I would expect in J'burg either. I now suspect that the NZRU will be starting to wonder whether the problems are greater than Australia.

Killing a team in Aus, along with passing on two teams in SA, even with a change in the conference system... it's just not going to make the difference.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Twiggy underwrites ‘Own the Force’.

Clicky

July 30​

The Super Rugby saga: Twiggy steps up

Well readers, a couple of weeks after his dramatic declaration to save the Force, Andrew Forrest has backed his words with action. And dollars.​

… Here’s what the iron ore magnate will tell the world today:​

Andrew Forrest AO has called on ARU to lead, not just litigate. There are clear solutions available to encourage rugby across Australia and support the most viable, strongest teams. This should be sorted out in meeting rooms not court rooms​

Western Australian of the Year, Mr Andrew Forrest AO, has called on the Australian Rugby Union to declare its support for the Western Force after an unprecedented show of grassroots support for the club.​

The ‘Own the Force’ campaign has had a stunning response with 4,700 people committing to fund the club, to the tune of $8 million.​

Mr Forrest has thrown the full spectrum of support into saving the Western Force. This now includes offering unsecured and interest free loans to those supporters who really want to join the ‘Own the Force’ fund but can’t afford to. The loans would then be repaid to Rugby WA, not to Mr Forrest.​

Mr Forrest said he was humbled by the passion Western Australians have shown for ensuring the Western Force not only survived but thrived.​

“I have not had to pick up the phone. Business leaders have been calling me,” Mr Forrest said. “Support has also come from ordinary folk, from all over the state, who don’t even follow rugby. Like me, they have been inspired by this incredible grassroots movement to save the Western Force.” …​

He goes on to talk about exploring all options of club mergers, and so on.

Read further: http://nedlandsrugby.com.au/2017/07/30/super-rugby-saga-twiggy-steps/

Got to like having a businessman of Twiggy's character getting into the debate as he is asking for different business options to be looked at. For as a businessman he can see that at this point in time supporting 5 teams not sustainable but asking for other business options / mergers be looked at. $8m raised from own the force good - my only concern is that this money is invested wisely which is where I hope someone like Twiggy could join Force Board to assure sensible investment decisions made.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Got to like having a businessman of Twiggy's character getting into the debate as he is asking for different business options to be looked at. For as a businessman he can see that at this point in time supporting 5 teams not sustainable but asking for other business options / mergers be looked at. $8m raised from own the force good - my only concern is that this money is invested wisely which is where I hope someone like Twiggy could join Force Board to assure sensible investment decisions made.

One thing for certain is that you wouldn't give the current ARU board a cent let alone $8 million.

Forrest is a dynamic, forward thinker - qualities that on one could accuse the ARU board of possessing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^
The crowd was not as I would expect in J'burg either. I now suspect that the NZRU will be starting to wonder whether the problems are greater than Australia.

Killing a team in Aus, along with passing on two teams in SA, even with a change in the conference system. it's just not going to make the difference.

Only SANZAAR couldn't sell rugby in NZ.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Look, to merge the Brumbies and Rebels isn't a popular idea. But if you remove the emotion surrounding it, it is the most sensible.

Brumbies will finish burning through their HQ sale cash in 6 months time and Cox doesn't really want the Rebels anymore. But won't offload them where there is a risk the ARU could get their grubby little mitts on the license. Because presumably he still likes Rugby and cares about its continuation in Melbourne. But I suspect ARU would have written in a clause that if he sells the license they have first option to acquire it, which is maybe why the transfer of ownership to the VRU hasn't been talked about more.

I still believe we should stick with 5, but if 1 is to be cut, this the least worst option for Rugby in Australia.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Look, to merge the Brumbies and Rebels isn't a popular idea. But if you remove the emotion surrounding it, it is the most sensible.

It's not popular, nor sensible.........

According to the grand saviour of WA rugby, Twiggy, merging the Force and the Rebels should be an option too...........

I still believe we should stick with 5, but if 1 is to be cut, this the least worst option for Rugby in Australia.

12 months ago that answer was simple - based on on-field success, sponsorship money, crowds, TV ratings, player development - cut the Force. The ARU seem to be sticking with that least worst option.

I can't wait to see where this already exhausted topic will head in the morning........

T

TOCC

In this mornings news:

In a move so elegant it just might become the model for modern-day philanthropy, Forrest has pledged to give an interest-free loan to anyone who wishes to purchase shares in the Own the Force campaign, but cannot afford the money up front.

What makes the scheme so elegant is that people who take up the offer for the shares, valued at $1000 each, will repay the loan not to Forrest but rather to RugbyWA, thereby doubling the benefit to the code.

At last count, there were 4700 pledges from the public to buy shares in the Force, worth approximately $8 million. But the fact that members of the public would realise that by purchasing a $1000 share, they effectively will be giving $2000 worth of aid to RugbyWA, which might mean many other potential shareholders will come

forth.http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/d8e84db1563c6a054382a63b747110a9

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So you'd have to think the most likely outcome at the moment for next year is a new Chairman, CEO, CFO and COO at the ARU plus a government backed Rebels and the Force underwritten by one of the richest men in the country.

Would have got tall odds for all of that on January 1 this year.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
So you'd have to think the most likely outcome at the moment for next year is a new Chairman, CEO, CFO and COO at the ARU plus a government backed Rebels and the Force underwritten by one of the richest men in the country.

Would have got tall odds for all of that on January 1 this year.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Can the government or the IRB forcibly dissolve the ARU board?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's not popular, nor sensible...

According to the grand saviour of WA rugby, Twiggy, merging the Force and the Rebels should be an option too.....

12 months ago that answer was simple - based on on-field success, sponsorship money, crowds, TV ratings, player development - cut the Force. The ARU seem to be sticking with that least worst option.

I can't wait to see where this already exhausted topic will head in the morning....

I think the merger concept makes sense - as to who should merge of course is more problematic as no one would want to be the weaker merger partner who just provides a feeder for other state.

Hence which ever team is cut would rather see this option re: merger where funds invested in academy in that state to provide at least players/pathway for (dominant) merger partner.

Given how dramatically Super Rugby fallen off a cliff I actually accept now we can't sustain 5 teams short term.

As to which team should be cut...and how that should be done.....I could offer an opinion on that but at this point rather pointless as we all know got to a point where it will be where ARU can legally cut a team, any team!. I just can't see other parties agreeing to a merger by themselves irrespective whether would be best option as no one is looking to offer themselves up as the sacrificial lamb and unfortunately because of legal issues etc it won't be any logic as to who is best to cut and reform oz team structures (re: with mergers etc) but simply who can be cut. Once we work out who can be cut I hope at least there is some thought to plan b on how to minimise the fallout (re: rugby academy as feeder for other team etc)

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Cox doesn't really want the Rebels anymore. But won't offload them where there is a risk the ARU could get their grubby little mitts on the license. Because presumably he still likes Rugby and cares about its continuation in Melbourne. But I suspect ARU would have written in a clause that if he sells the license they have first option to acquire it, which is maybe why the transfer of ownership to the VRU hasn't been talked about more.

I think that is the reason why Cox has not been able to offload the Rebels - he needs ARU approval to sell - and if they withhold approval then his only exit option is to gift it back to the VRU via the put option that was part of the original sale agreement.
I dont for one moment think that Cox cares about the Rebels now that he has fleeced it of the extra ARU payments - in fact, my sources say he left the last two home games early.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If at the beginning of the saga, a merger had been pushed hard, and it came with a guarantee of at least 3 games in Melbourne and the retention of both the Rising and an independent Victorian U20s, I would have been disappointed but supported it as the best way to retain support in multiple areas.

4 months of shambolic, nepotistic, and incompetent conduct have removed any sort of willingness to compromise from my mind.

If the Rebels go, the only thing the ARU will see from me is whatever money they manage to scrounge from Box Hill, and that will be the case right up until the next time Scotland or the BILs tour, or the entire board is shafted and officially recognises that this buffoonery was not only a mistake, but their mistake, and solely their mistake.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Panda just throwing it all out there. Nice that this saga has a few more timelines, will go nicely when I eventually get around to wring my thesis on this saga...

LATE last year, a senior SANZAAR official let it slip in a private conversation that the Western Force would be axed from Super Rugby.

It came as a shock, and since there was no news of any planned cull to the competition over the next couple of months, the conversation was dismissed as misinformation.

Force officials were told nothing by the ARU about plans for their demise.

Then on the evening of March 27, when the Daily Telegraph first publicly revealed the plans to cut the Force, officials in the west remained miffed.

There was still nothing from the ARU to confirm any such move. But their silence was alarming.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...w/news-story/5df6a15d0831c6c427b5c656968c31b3

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies will finish burning through their HQ sale cash in 6 months time and Cox doesn't really want the Rebels anymore.

Hmmmm. Brumbies apparently are expecting to make a profit this year, and reportedly are the only franchise likely to do so. Won't get into a pointless exercise of discussing possible mergers.

Status
Not open for further replies.