• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Hmmmm. Brumbies apparently are expecting to make a profit this year, and reportedly are the only franchise likely to do so. Won't get into a pointless exercise of discussing possible mergers.

Not interested in pelting mud, but any news on the police/feds inquiry and the missing millions from the land deal?

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Panda just throwing it all out there. Nice that this saga has a few more timelines, will go nicely when I eventually get around to wring my thesis on this saga.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...w/news-story/5df6a15d0831c6c427b5c656968c31b3

No, yet again, the DT doesn't get it right. Panda has not thrown anything out there, except the ARU's leaks.

"If the ARU wins the arbitration hearing, they’ll announce within four weeks that the Force are gone."

The suggestion is the Force will keep going.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
No, yet again, the DT doesn't get it right. Panda has not thrown anything out there, except the ARU's leaks.

"If the ARU wins the arbitration hearing, they’ll announce within four weeks that the Force are gone."

Did you read that article as being an ARU leak or a Force leak? I'd personally hedge on it coming from the ARU despite it painting them in a fairly poor light - Panda has been getting mail from them since day one it would seem.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Did you read that article as being an ARU leak or a Force leak? I'd personally hedge on it coming from the ARU despite it painting them in a fairly poor light - Panda has been getting mail from them since day one it would seem.

You'd have to think it was coming from the ARU. Geography, time zones, pro-Sydney ramblings and general Eastern States elitist connections

;)

Reactions: Tex

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
reading the article it seems the ARU thinks/thought it has/had the pwr to close either Team. It chose the Force bc it would be cheaper.
If they lose the arbitration that is no longer an option.
It seems nothing has changed legally at the Rebs? therefore the ARU, in their mind, must believe they can close the Rebs legally?
Remind me why the Rebs cannot be closed?
I have heard talk that the ARU does have the ability to force mergers?
Maybe this is why TF is bringing up the issue, getting in early?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
reading the article it seems the ARU thinks/thought it has/had the pwr to close either Team. It chose the Force bc it would be cheaper.
If they lose the arbitration that is no longer an option.
It seems nothing has changed legally at the Rebs? therefore the ARU, in their mind, must believe they can close the Rebs legally?
Remind me why the Rebs cannot be closed?
I have heard talk that the ARU does have the ability to force mergers?
Maybe this is why TF is bringing up the issue, getting in early?

The bit that caught my eye was the potential for subsequent legal action from SANZAAR partners if they can't legally manage to close either Rebels or Force.

An ugly clusterfuck whichever way the omlette is unscrambled.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think that is the reason why Cox has not been able to offload the Rebels - he needs ARU approval to sell - and if they withhold approval then his only exit option is to gift it back to the VRU via the put option that was part of the original sale agreement.
I dont for one moment think that Cox cares about the Rebels now that he has fleeced it of the extra ARU payments - in fact, my sources say he left the last two home games early.
Is there definitely an out option to just gift it back to the VRU? I read an article last night from 9 days ago where Clyne stated that Cox could only transfer ownership with ARU approval. Which is a pretty shit clause for Cox as the ARU could in theory obstruct a $20,000,000 purchase offer from Mourad Boudjellal if he felt so inclined to make one.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The bit that caught my eye was the potential for subsequent legal action from SANZAAR partners if they can't legally manage to close either Rebels or Force.

An ugly clusterfuck whichever way the omlette is unscrambled.
And what effect does that have on broadcast value? If say we end up with 16 teams and have to go to a round robin which cuts the number of derbys down, are the broadcast partners still willing to honour the original contract value as they are for 15 teams?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Is there definitely an out option to just gift it back to the VRU? I read an article last night from 9 days ago where Clyne stated that Cox could only transfer ownership with ARU approval. Which is a pretty shit clause for Cox as the ARU could in theory obstruct a $20,000,000 purchase offer from Mourad Boudjellal if he felt so inclined to make one.

My sources inform me that the put option was the same value as the purchase price ($1) and the entity was to be net debt free it could be gifted back to the VRU - but if it is not net debt free then he needs the ARU to approve the transfer. As we have heard, it may not be net debt free - so Cox has not cleared the balance sheet and the put option cannot be exercised.
THE ARU wrote the clause, so yes, they could obstruct ... if it were to go to a sale - otherwise, he could sell the licence to WARU and walk away with more millions and Force wouldn't need to go to arbitration.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
My sources inform me that the put option was the same value as the purchase price ($1) and the entity was to be net debt free it could be gifted back to the VRU - but if it is not net debt free then he needs the ARU to approve the transfer. As we have heard, it may not be net debt free - so Cox has not cleared the balance sheet and the put option cannot be exercised.
THE ARU wrote the clause, so yes, they could obstruct . if it were to go to a sale - otherwise, he could sell the licence to WARU and walk away with more millions and Force wouldn't need to go to arbitration.
I was wondering why the transfer to VRU had gone quiet. So it's starting to look like Cox has to decided if he is willing to kick any of his own money in to offload the Rebs to the VRU or stick it out and see if he can get the books to balance so it doesn't cost him anything personally if he does decide to get out.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I was wondering why the transfer to VRU had gone quiet. So it's starting to look like Cox has to decided if he is willing to kick any of his own money in to offload the Rebs to the VRU or stick it out and see if he can get the books to balance so it doesn't cost him anything personally if he does decide to get out.

surely the VRU have friends with money to pay Cox's debt down to zero? or is that not allowed and the ARU are enforcing it?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

I highly doubt they would wait 4 weeks, I would expect the announcement with in 4 hours to try put the final nail in the coffin.

Waiting 4 weeks will make squad signings for all teams a bit late as pre-season would have started.

The ARU has caused so much damage that they need to wrap things up ASAP, sack who they need to sack on the board and start planning for 2018/19 already. They should have been looking for a whole new marketing team as they will bloody need it to rebuild there brand (I think it would be easier to make brand O'Connor look good at this stage)

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I highly doubt they would wait 4 weeks, I would expect the announcement with in 4 hours to try put the final nail in the coffin.

Waiting 4 weeks will make squad signings for all teams a bit late as pre-season would have started.

The ARU has caused so much damage that they need to wrap things up ASAP, sack who they need to sack on the board and start planning for 2018/19 already. They should have been looking for a whole new marketing team as they will bloody need it to rebuild there brand (I think it would be easier to make brand O'Connor look good at this stage)

except that the WF have the right to appeal and I assume take it to an open court. And with financial backers willing to do this there is no reason they won't. So many more months of no decision.
Unless the ARU have some watertight case, unlikely, I think they may try and work some compromise out that will be very beneficial to the WF.
What else can they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.