• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecarterskid

Peter Burge (5)
Don't they scale it at the end of the season? Div 1 and 2 have extra grades so have an unfair advantage in cowboy cup

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Would make sense if they scaled it I guess, otherwise Div 4 etc would never get a look in. Its the Cowboy cup for bragging rights only though? Club championships matter more

p.s. im perfectly fine having it favour Div 2 & 1 though ;)

Skinny Minny

Chris McKivat (8)
Christ there are some fuckwits populating this thread.
Is this supposed to be for serious rugby discussion?

I thought it was for us lonely souls who have no mates at our respective clubs, so we come on here to spill our guts, air dirty laundry and start shit rumours about things we have no real knowledge.

If I'm in the wrong spot, can someone point me in the right direction?

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is this supposed to be for serious rugby discussion?

I thought it was for us lonely souls who have no mates at our respective clubs, so we come on here to spill our guts, air dirty laundry and start shit rumours about things we have no real knowledge.

If I'm in the wrong spot, can someone point me in the right direction?

I think that is exactly what it's about!!

Professional 23

Frank Row (1)
Would make sense if they scaled it I guess, otherwise Div 4 etc would never get a look in. Its the Cowboy cup for bragging rights only though? Club championships matter more

p.s. im perfectly fine having it favour Div 2 & 1 though ;)

I think the weightings to the top grades generally take care of this. An undefeated 4th grade team, winning every game with a bonus point gets you 210 club championship points.

Didn't Beecroft win the Cowboy Cup from 4th division a few years ago???

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Moving on a bit to 2018 Season

Based on the Club Champs Ladders its pretty obvious that Hunters Hill will be moving into Div 1, with either St Pats or Knox for mine the ones that will come down

Div 2 will see Epping and Possibly Old Iggies both come up as HAC are gone and hearing whispers Beecroft want to go back to Div 3

Div 3 Brothers are gone with Id Imagine Oatley the only realist Club that could come up and field the colts side ( that may be the only thing that saves brothers is they have colts)

Hunters definately keen to get back into Div 1 and hearing Knox wouldnt mind a change in opposition down in Div 2.

Hurlo will attack me but I would caution Iggies from going up to Div 2. They appear to be in good shape but fielding the extra team requires at least another 30-35 players. Epping have been screaming for Halligan games all year but I don't think I've seen Iggies play 1? I maybe wrong.

Some very early rumblings out of Forest says they might need to consider a move to Div 3. They haven't had a 3rd grade side for 2 or 3 years now and their old mates 4th grade side are getting a little long in the tooth and if they were to retire Forest would be very thin in lower grades. Some players view the local games like Brothers, Newport, BOBS and Saints as attractive.[/quote]

Not sure what you have against Brothers but you appear pretty dismissive of them and yet leave out clubs who have either really never had Colts but say they do or others who are happy to forfeit games whereas Brothers manfully front up when they know they may be in for a hammering in anticipation of keeping it all together for the next year. You would understand how difficult it is to create a colts team so there should be some kudos given to those who do. You would also well understand the cyclical nature of subbies and clubs w/o colts are always in a more parlous state than those do. Those with colts teams should be encouraged to stay the course, as you would understand that today's colts are tomorrow's grade players. Lose the colts these days and you are in seriuos trouble.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
Another Year In Division 3 Would Probably Be The Best Thing For Us To Stabilise, Build Numbers And Become Even Stronger. As Many Of You Can Testify, Short Term Success Is Not An Indicator For The Future And After Some Tough Years, It Would Be Nice To Have A Few Years Rebuilding Us To What We Can Be.

At The Moment We Are Just Focusing On Trying To Win 4 Premierships.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
10/12 for me last week.

Overarching comment - with finals positions decided in many grades, some ugly away trips and 1m of snow falling I am predicting either forefeits or some results to be 80 or 90 point drubbings as players check out for the week.

Div 1
St pats vs PETERSHAM - 1st vs last.Shammies by plenty.
Colleagues vs BALMAIN - I expect the muzzled wolves good form to continue over the eastern suburb tossers.
Knox vs MOSMAN - Whales gearing up for finals footy with a training run,
DRUMMOYNE - Waverley - dirty reds in a close one.

Div 2
MOUNTAINS vs Forest - Lapstone for a last game of the season..yuck. Forest will do well not to forfeit a couple of grades,
Hills vs HAC - care factor zero
HH v lindfied - HH to reright the ship after last weeks loss
UNSW vs Beecroft - 2017 suprse packets will win by 50

Div 3
Hawkesbury vs EPPING - Congrats to the 2017 minor premiers
IGGIES vs Newport - last time these teams met it was a draw. This time it wont be!
BOBS vs St Ives - BOBS number 10 is well organised and has the team looking threatening.
Redfield vs BROTHER$ - Hate to say it but after a drubbing at the hands of Epping last week Redfield are no chance.

12/12...just saying

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Congratulations to the Rams who took out the Division 3 Club Championship today at Hawkesbury Valley with a clean sweep. First and third grade minor premiers with only one loss each. Colts through to the finals as well. Second grade have been desperately unlucky this year, losing 5 games by less than 7 points. Very proud of the lads, especially the way they have put all the rumour and innuendo on these forums behind them. Good luck to them for semi finals now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congratulations to the Rams who took out the Division 3 Club Championship today at Hawkesbury Valley with a clean sweep. First and third grade minor premiers with only one loss each. Colts through to the finals as well. Second grade have been desperately unlucky this year, losing 5 games by less than 7 points. Very proud of the lads, especially the way they have put all the rumour and innuendo on these forums behind them. Good luck to them for semi finals now

Well done Rams. Will be line ball with Iggies for Div 3 club of the year.

Good luck everyone next week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Two wins to finish the season. Glad my regulars got one under their belts today in Thirds. Mac Uni's season has been almost as tough as ours, and who knows whether they'll be able to stay the course in Fourth Div in 2018.

Fifth Div for us.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)

Congratulations Prodigy. Looking Forward To Seeing The Rams Next Week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
4 teams in semis and 1 minor premiership. Epping deserve it but seen crazy calls from subbies over the years. Might come down to red cards.

Who actually decides that award?

Actually, speaking of red cards: woohoo! We get our $2000 bond back!

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
So The Brothers Streak Continued Today As They Went 5 In A Row To Reach The Finals. This Means That Epping Play Barker And We Have A Death Match Against Brothers.

Hurlo

Allen Oxlade (6)
HeavyD.

Looking Forward To The Farrant Cup Match Next Week. There Is Minimal Difference Between The Teams.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Terrible admin error at Hudson Park today as St Pat's inadvertently sent their touch football team to face Petersham!!

Is this the same team that defeated the Shammies in the first round? Unbelievable. 101-26. It was a sad spectacle. You don't want to see that. Hope they can sort out whatever is going on there.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fascinating Finals series coming up in Kentwell Cup.

From a Shammies perspective the team I've been most impressed with so far is Colleagues. Best game of the year in the first round. Return match last week and Colleagues very unlucky to lose that game. Played with 13 for a bit,ref on their case and a try gone begging with a fumble over the line. Then I look in the results and see they've lost to Balmain. It's got me beat.

Petersham put 50 on Mosman but since then they've thrived including a defeat of Drummoyne. Drummoyne beat Petersham in the first round in a frustrating game for both teams. We'll know more about them next week.

Lots of contradictory results to keep a punter guessing. I think Petersham can win and are deserved favourites. But they can definitely be beaten. As it is today here is how I would frame a market. Bearing in mind with the finals format at least one of 1 or 2 on the ladder is guaranteed a start in the GF. That is a big advantage odds wise.

2.70 Petersham

3.20 Drummoyne

6.00 Colleagues

10.00 Mosman

Obviously the market is fluid. Could change a lot next week!!

Status
Not open for further replies.