• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Any chance the Force could take the issue to the international Court for the Arbitration of Sport? They deal in contract disputes but not sure if the Rugby WA v ARU issue qualifies to be heard there?

I wouldn't think so. Their contract would've had an arbitration clause stating were, how and by whom arbitration would be held. That's been done.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How good!

Will "Chargedown" Genia is back to reduce the amount of spots available to Louwrens and Ruru, Australia's most promising half backs, and now Australia's most promising coach may be lost at the end of all this.

Keep the wins coming ARU!

you know he's South African don't you?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
you know he's South African don't you?

I do but I also don't care what nationality our Super Rugby // Wallabies coaches are.

An Australian coach to me is one that coaches in Australia. The recent "Australian Super coaches must be Australian" frustrates the hell out of me.

Besides, Wessels has been in the Australian system since 2012, which is probably longer than a few of our other Super coaches.

Why should we prioritise the careers of 10-15 individuals over the careers of 150 players and the entertainment of hundreds of thousands of fans?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
No, people do what they need to do, that is their business.
BLR and I were simply saying we couldn't, at a personal level, do this.
Asking someone to move across country is a hell of a lot easier than asking someone to move to another country. Many would be married with young families. Moving to a non English speaking country isn't for everyone. Fits loved it, Kepu and family didn't. And it's not like many of these guys have a stack of options outside football. Not having a dig but It's pretty easy to sit on a moral high ground when it's not you that has to make the tough decisions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I do but I also don't care what nationality our Super Rugby // Wallabies coaches are.

An Australian coach to me is one that coaches in Australia. The recent "Australian Super coaches must be Australian" frustrates the hell out of me.

Besides, Wessels has been in the Australian system since 2012, which is probably longer than a few of our other Super coaches.

Why should we prioritise the careers of 10-15 individuals over the careers of 150 players and the entertainment of hundreds of thousands of fans?

We can claim him all we want. Fact is, he's South African and there's probably more jobs available for him over there. Obviously Europe too.

His connection to us is really minimal and frankly why would he want to stay?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We can claim him all we want. Fact is, he's South African and there's probably more jobs available for him over there. Obviously Europe too.

Of course but I initially suggested I was pissed that Australia's best Super coach might be leaving Australia due to this saga.

I know his connections are minimal and I know he may have very little reason to stay but the fact of the matter is: he had a contract to coach an Australian side next season and the ARU's mismanagement of the process may mean that he is instead coaching overseas next year.

This, of course, is made all the worse by the fact that the Rebels don't have a coach for next season.

I really don't understand what you're getting at. I'm simply angry that Australian rugby might lose Wessels, given the promise he's shown this season, especially given Stiles, Larkham and Gibson disappointed.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wessels will be lost to us. If you follow him on twitter, a lot of his posts are about SA provincial Rugby. I suspect his heart is still back there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Of course but I initially suggested I was pissed that Australia's best Super coach might be leaving Australia due to this saga.

I know his connections are minimal and I know he may have very little reason to stay but the fact of the matter is: he had a contract to coach an Australian side next season and the ARU's mismanagement of the process may mean that he is instead coaching overseas next year.

This, of course, is made all the worse by the fact that the Rebels don't have a coach for next season.

I really don't understand what you're getting at. I'm simply angry that Australian rugby might lose Wessels, given the promise he's shown this season, especially given Stiles, Larkham and Gibson disappointed.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I agree he breathed something fresh into the Force, but at the end of the day, they won 6 of 15, as did the Brumbies. It's hard to say any Aus Super Rugby coaching department was awesome, although obviously 3 were markedly more crap! ;)
I agree he probably has some upside, but I'm not 100% convinced he is / was a talent that was exceptional. Of course, Aus rugby is not really in the health to let anyone "go" but maybe he was always looking elsewhere longer term, and I'd be more than happy to see him stay involved here.
Just some perspective.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Don't take this the wrong way, because I agree he breathed something fresh into the Force, but at the end of the day, they won 6 of 15, as did the Brumbies. It's hard to say any Aus Super Rugby coaching department was awesome, although obviously 3 were markedly more crap! ;)
I agree he probably has some upside, but I'm not 100% convinced he is / was a talent that was exceptional. Of course, Aus rugby is not really in the health to let anyone "go" but maybe he was always looking elsewhere longer term, and I'd be more than happy to see him stay involved here.
Just some perspective.

He would have stayed for some years at the Force, he is settled with young kids, and who knows what would have happened if he was successful. We made a big mistake choosing Chek over Jake White.
I see Wessels as a junior White.
White respected him enough to bring him from SA to the Brumbies. He clearly did a very good job there before Jake got shafted, another stella move by the ARU after promising him the job.
Then to Perth where after 3 to 4 yrs he is the youngest Super coach at 32, I think.
But I also think he will go too or at least not hang around for long. I don't think you realise the bitterness at the treachery of the ARU.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Asking someone to move across country is a hell of a lot easier than asking someone to move to another country. Many would be married with young families. Moving to a non English speaking country isn't for everyone. Fits loved it, Kepu and family didn't. And it's not like many of these guys have a stack of options outside football. Not having a dig but It's pretty easy to sit on a moral high ground when it's not you that has to make the tough decisions.

Do I write in Swahili?

No, people do what they need to do, that is their business.
BLR and I were simply saying we couldn't, at a personal level, do this.

T

TOCC

Just some perspective.

I don't think that stat of 6 wins paints the full picture though..
Western Force were highly competitive all season, they were a team with structure and game plan. I also think Wessells was working with a group of players which at the start of this season, was probably ranked one of the weakest squads in the comp, but he still managed to have them performing at a level far beyond their standing.

His performance was far better then Gibson, Stiles and McGahan, and based on his time in the role and squad he had, i also think he did a better job then Larkham. He mightn't be a great coach, but he is better then the other crap currently being served up.

D

daz

Professional sports is not exactly the most secure of professions at any time. I'm sure most players will get a gig elsewhere, and that very probably means relocation, but how is that different to a player who is cut from the roster, or not offered another contract, or get injured and have to retire early, or players who chase dollars elsewhere?

They all know this is not exactly a guaranteed way of making a living, and moving is part of the game. There are very few 1 club players.

Hell, it happens everywhere in life. People move to chase work, or grab an opportunity.

And if someone doesn't want to leave Perth to play elsewhere, perhaps they need to try another profession to allow them to stay and see the kids through school.

Life isn't always fair, and we all do what we have to do to put a roof over our heads.

Lots of teachers are on short term contracts, and lots of tradies are on short term project deals. Lots of people get made redundant. When they finish, they move on. That's life, right?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
And your correspondent can reveal the ARU has also lost favour with another influential media baron in Seven Network boss Kerry Stokes.
“The ARU is just keeping faith with the GST distribution model and applying it to sport,” Mr Stokes told your correspondent. “The (ARU) chairman is a Victorian banker – says it all really.”

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wessels would be great to retain. Whilst the improvement in results may be relatively marginal, the improvement in play was considerable.

However, I do note that Wessels had the strongest support staff (with the arguable exception of the Brumbies). The emphasis should be just as much on keeping them if possible.

Also, the ARU didn't choose Cheika over White - they chose Mackenzie.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

The same reason a lot of professionals leave SA, for better opportunities, $ and security. But I agree with you that he could pick up roles elsewhere quite easily, my humble suggestion is that the key Force man (who is more likely to be around) to pick up is Joe Bakarat - now that guy could add great value to the Rebels as Forwards Coach, and Gaffney as an Attack Consultant to support the most likely backs coach in Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.