• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The problem with that is NZ don't want to seem to play ball as otherwise EPL style is way to go..and if NZ don't play ball getting quality imports from elsewhere I am not sure how realistic given we would never be able to match Northern Hemisphere wages.

Good non-Kiwi imports have been signed in Super Rugby before (Mafi and Cubelli are 2 recent examples). There's plenty of good players in the world, and a limited number of high paying squad positions in Europe.

T

TOCC

Funny thing is Clyne will say he has the support of the other Unions. Well Patsy that was before you turned down $50Million. What do Aussie rugby fans need to do to get the ARU to act on their behalf?

They have the support, because reneging on the ridiculous deal the ARU made with SANZAAR has its own financial and political consequences.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They have the support, because reneging on the ridiculous deal the ARU made with SANZAAR has its own financial and political consequences.

It's really very demoralising that the ARU would rather piss off tens of thousands of its own public than the NZRU and SARU.

I find it very hard to believe SANZAAR has not been working on contingencies in the event the ARU can't cut a team. It's been a possibility for months. If the ARU went back to SANZAAR and said circumstances have changed and we can no longer cut a team you'd have to think there'd be a solution.

T

TOCC

ARU are SANZAAR are vice versa... I wouldn't expect any more logic to exist at SANZAAR level then what the ARU have displayed

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Not to shit on TF as I don't really know the guy and his achievements, but after Tinkler and Palmer I have my doubts over another big dollars guy coming into sport and building something from scratch.

Now, I'd like him to succeed and to build a comp that the others eventually jump to, it could be the Plan B Australia has been looking for.

But I hope he doesn't front it all himself and brings in the right people (where ever you find these people) to put it all together.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The "right people" got us into a right mess.

Still a long way off for a Plan B, but at least there is now someone taking the lead to talk about one.

T

TOCC

Not to shit on TF as I don't really know the guy and his achievements, but after Tinkler and Palmer I have my doubts over another big dollars guy coming into sport and building something from scratch.

Sure there are negative examples, but you you also have guys like Scott Penn, Russell Crowe, Frank Lowry, David Traktovenko, Tony Sage and Tony Lederer who all own professional sporting teams or have bankrolled competitions to some extent.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The "right people" got us into a right mess.

Still a long way off for a Plan B, but at least there is now someone taking the lead to talk about one.

To add: None of the 3 ARU board directors - Clyne, Robinson, Eales - that headed to ADL to meet Twiggy Forrest has ever themselves had the slightest direct professional experience in sports code business management yet this (one assumes) was the carefully chosen ARU board trio sent to confront the self-made billionaire and tell him what's what with the state of our rugby business and why SANZAAR's needs/agreements are paramount over all else.

Literally dripping with multiple ironies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The NSW Supreme Court has granted the Western Force a right of appeal.

For those of you interested in the details the hearing is to be heard immediately before Justice David Hammerschlag.

Judgment will ultimately be posted here although they can be a little slow. We'll all likely know the outcome well before the judgment is posted but the submissions made should be very interesting.

We might finally have some manner of insight into the ARU's inner workings/rationale.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting that the ARU have got Justin Gleeson SC as counsel. Former Commonwealth Solicitor General and an extremely good barrister in my view.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How likely is it that ARU will be required to produce the infamous "big spreadsheet" & other docs e.g. reports to the Board from Pulver etc in open court or at least make them available for the judge (on the grounds they're commercially sensitive) to review in order to determine whether ARU acted in good faith?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^
Won't be the subject of the appeal. As discussed earlier in the thread, an appeal is allowed where a law has, potentially, been incorrectly interpreted or applied.

I don't think whether they acted in good faith has much to do with whether they have the contractual right to remove the force.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
How likely is it that ARU will be required to produce the infamous "big spreadsheet" & other docs e.g. reports to the Board from Pulver etc in open court or at least make them available for the judge (on the grounds they're commercially sensitive) to review in order to determine whether ARU acted in good faith?

I doubt it's needed WO. In a legal sense that's not the smoking gun.

If it was made public or submitted to the court, the media will be all over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.