• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Am I reading this right ?

The ARU may be under no legal obligation from SANZAR to cut a team. And with Twiggy Forrest's offer, no financial reason to either.

But as of yesterday they still want to ? I'm wrong surely.

From WA Rugby Union barrister Robert Newlinds SC, as per Tina's link above:
But the changes to the SANZAAR broadcasting agreement did not rule out five teams from Australia continuing to play in the competition and should not have triggered the termination of the contract with Western Force, he said.​
"It used to say no fewer than 18 teams. It now says no fewer than 15 teams," Mr Newlinds said.​
"It used to say at least five from Australia. It now says at least four from Australia.​
"Well, five is at least four."​

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
But the changes to the SANZAAR broadcasting agreement did not rule out five teams from Australia continuing to play in the competition and should not have triggered the termination of the contract with Western Force, he said.​
"It used to say no fewer than 18 teams. It now says no fewer than 15 teams," Mr Newlinds said.​
"It used to say at least five from Australia. It now says at least four from Australia.​

There were a few wry smiles from the Judge during this discussion.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)

Thanks. Simply lost for words.

M

Moono75

It is amazing the treachery of the ARU regarding this whole fiasco. I agree, 5 Australian teams does constitute at least 4 teams from Australia.....

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
If the Force win, will the ARU look to elevate to the next level, or is that it?
Ditto if the ARU win.

Ie: will we see an end to this in the next few weeks?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If the Force win, will the ARU look to elevate to the next level, or is that it?
Ditto if the ARU win.

Dunno, but it's not easy to see this particular case going up another level. I mean the High Court can pick and choose what cases they hear. They tend to focus on legal issues of special significance.

Having said that, there could be other things to come. Possible senate inquiry, possible WA govt action, and so on.

B

BLR

Ditto if the ARU win.

Apparently if the Force win this is it as far as the ARU are concerned. If the ARU win I very much doubt it is over.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Am I reading this right ?

The ARU may be under no legal obligation from SANZAR to cut a team. And with Twiggy Forrest's offer, no financial reason to either.

But as of yesterday they still want to ? I'm wrong surely.
x2. Literally the only factor keeping me somewhat balanced about the ARU's decision making was the implied understanding that their contractual responsibilities to SANZAAR forced their hand on Vic/WA getting culled.

What a bunch of cnuts.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well....

RugbyWA is incredibly disappointed to hear that yesterday’s meeting between Mr Andrew Forrest and ARU Chairman Cameron Clyne and directors Brett Robinson and John Eales failed to reach a positive outcome. Particularly given Mr Forrest’s incredibly generous offer to donate many tens of millions to support community rugby as well as financially underwrite the Western Force.

Further, commitments to RugbyWA Board Member David Vaux on Sunday afternoon by Cameron Clyne, that the ARU would accept the retention of five Australian teams provided Andrew Forrest financially underwrote the Western Force and make a significant contribution to Australian rugby.

RugbyWA Chairman of the Board Tony Howarth says: “It is now clear that the ARU did not attend the meeting in Adelaide with the intention of resolving a mutually acceptable agreement, as said previously by ARU Chairman Cameron Clyne.”

RugbyWA is adamant that if the ARU can afford to refuse approximately $50 million to support grass roots rugby then the decision to cut an Australian franchise cannot logically be based on the ARU’s financial position. Therefor the basis on which the ARU has decided to remove a team needs to be fully explained.

Further, we understand that during the meeting the ARU Directors were adamant that a Senate Inquiry as requested by Senator Linda Reynolds and supported by Federal Sports Minister Greg Hunt, had no place or role to play in Australian Rugby.

RugbyWA strongly supports the call for a Senate Inquiry based on the ARU’s misinformation as to their financial position and their lack of information available for the reasons for removing the Western Force.

Today, RugbyWA has been granted leave to appeal the Australian Rugby Union’s (ARU) decision to cut the Western Force from Super Rugby next year. The decision was made by New South Wales Supreme Court judge David Hammerschlag.

https://www.rugbywa.asn.au/news/rugbywa-statement/

M

Moono75

I think the ARU board need to go through the concussion protocol and also submit to a urine test!

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
"... the ARU Directors were adamant that a Senate Inquiry as requested by Senator Linda Reynolds and supported by Federal Sports Minister Greg Hunt, had no place or role to play in Australian Rugby."

Oh how arrogant that you think you are above any oversight.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
".the ARU Directors were adamant that a Senate Inquiry as requested by Senator Linda Reynolds and supported by Federal Sports Minister Greg Hunt, had no place or role to play in Australian Rugby as they sadly had to admit that rugby in 2017 holds such a minute share of public interest (and with that share declining by the day) that the financial expense of such a Senate Inquiry simply cannot be justified on that basis and that at its conclusion only 467 people Australia-wide would be interested in or affected by the Inquiry's findings. "

Oh how arrogant that you think you are above any oversight.

Fixed that up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.