• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Unpopular opinion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
A few oily rags thrown in the direction of Penrith and Parramatta wouldn't hurt.

These clubs would pretty well would be handing in a blank piece of paper for their player points declaration.

So something needs to be done to help these clubs attract a share of the talent.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And this is the other point: rival codes are fielding their top grade and one other team - either U20 or a "reserve" squad which are mostly standby or development players.

Shute Shield can't compete at a professional level while its tied to the club structure that is slowly losing in Sydney.

I hear people saying "Nah its all good!" - but their club is travelling well. Look at the Emus right now. They can't field all teams and haven't fielded all Colts since forever.

Yes and no. I think we can establish a separate 'elite' level competition while maintaining the respective club links. It just needs to be worked correctly. There's no reason that each club could run a 1st XV in such a competition competing against say the Vikings or a Melbourne rep squad etc while maintaining teams in their traditional competitions and scheduling the competition in such a way that those below the 1st XV play there with the main game following after as they do.

Personally, I'd like to see the Shute Shield split in two. Look to include 4 more teams to effectively has two pools of 8 teams. Each team plays the teams in their pool twice and then the teams from the other pool once for 22 games.

This would then allow the clubs the flexibility to sort out the scheduling around it. Thus the link is maintained while an elite level competition operates alongside.

This is all contingent on the funds existing which of course is very unlikely.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Following Spiros retraction: the ARUs incompetence is a symptom of, not a cause for, the rot in Australian rugby.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The ARU doesn't need a CEO from the business community but rather somebody with experience in public service at the executive level.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
SARU aind ARU are in equal problems, despite Pro14 etc.

The only reason that worked was because the Pro12 needed money and SA needed a comp.

When you don't have someone to cheer for (and in so doing spend money) the union(s) will suffer.

The ARU are adhering to the mandates set by SANZAAR. RSA & Japan have big rights at this stage but the RSA contingent may wane over time.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone feel like Clyne has some pretty valid points?

Hahaha

This is the unpopular opinion thread, not the jokes thread ;)

Amazes me how so many people have forgotten the basic points of all this situation and how the ARU have yet again been played like the bunch of spineless suckers they are. The whole original point, as deemed by SANZAR, was that the SA and AUS conferences were too weak because of too many teams for the available talent and that the teams should be reduced to make the remaining stronger. Yeah, right, everyone knew SA has been trying to join Europe for years and this was just a neat way to move 2 teams from Super Rugby to Pro12 (14). The ARU swallowed the bait and were suckered into destroying some of the growth of Rugby in Australia while the SA conference will remian just as weak as they have still the same number of teams - just in different comps.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
SARU aind ARU are in equal problems, despite Pro14 etc.

The only reason that worked was because the Pro12 needed money and SA needed a comp.

When you don't have someone to cheer for (and in so doing spend money) the union(s) will suffer.

The ARU are adhering to the mandates set by SANZAAR. RSA & Japan have big rights at this stage but the RSA contingent may wane over time.

Playing in a different comp doesn't solve the player depth issue. In the 20 years since going from Super 10 to Super 12 and on wards NZ added 1 team, SA added 3 and Aus added 3. Development of programs needs time. You cant increase the playing pool by 250% in a generation without diluting some of the talent.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hahaha

Amazes me how so many people have forgotten the basic points of all this situation and how the ARU have yet again been played like the bunch of spineless suckers they are. The whole original point, as deemed by SANZAR, was that the SA and AUS conferences were too weak because of too many teams for the available talent and that the teams should be reduced to make the remaining stronger. Yeah, right, everyone knew SA has been trying to join Europe for years and this was just a neat way to move 2 teams from Super Rugby to Pro12 (14). The ARU swallowed the bait and were suckered into destroying some of the growth of Rugby in Australia while the SA conference will remian just as weak as they have still the same number of teams - just in different comps.

Hahaha

Couple of things. The ARU needs to be responsible for the situation they put themselves by agreeing to a ludicrous competition format. Super 12/14 worked. Play everyone once, 4 team finals. Simple. Even the Super 15 format was better but still not ideal as Aus and NZ buckled to SA request of having to play only four of each of the other two conferences (comp should have run for two extra weeks to ensure everyone played everyone at least once).

The decision to expand the competition to include Japan and Argentina was only announced a month after Clyne became the chair of the board (he was a member for 2 years prior) and due to our financial state one we pretty much had to take. There was a clear decline in performance and viewership in Australia prior to this however it absolutely fell of a cliff after. Once this was realised and the additional broadcast money was eaten up things had to change.

However the Force too need to take responsibility for their poor financial management. This point has been missing in the discussion for sometime. Anytime a finger gets pointed at the Force it turns into a mudslinging match "well the Rebels got more" or the "tahs/Reds were bailed too" but that doesn't change what has happened to them or the situation we are now in.

The Force have been around for 12 years and Twiggy has only been a sponsor of Hodgo's jersey through FMG for $50k over a couple of seasons. Why has it taken until now for him to get behind them? Its a fair point. I have some hesitation in putting blind trust into a billion dollar business man when at this stage the only thing Twiggy has done is run a hate campaign against the ARU gaining free publicity by feeding off the Wests distrust of the East. Throwing around $50m commitment comments where we have no idea of the caveats attached.
I am a rugby person and I want to the game to grow outside the traditional areas. The Force have done a great job in their short life and needed longer to develop. Both sides have to take blame for the current situation. The situation isn't nearly as easy as its being portrayed nor as one sided. I honestly believe Clyne in that if Twiggy had of been apart of the discussions 18mths ago things would be a lot different.

Parse on another note, good comment. I am glad there is still places for decent rugby chat. People who have different opinions can voice them without being personally bagged.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^^^^^^^

All true, but I can kinda guess that if the Aus teams continue with Super Rugby and whatever other directions the ARU give them, then it's nearly a given that most of the teams will again run foul of financial mismanagement and most probably will require bailing out. Just as they all have in the past at some stage.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^^^^^^^^^^

All true, but I can kinda guess that if the Aus teams continue with Super Rugby and whatever other directions the ARU give them, then it's nearly a given that most of the teams will again run foul of financial mismanagement and most probably will require bailing out. Just as they all have in the past at some stage.

I think we can all agree that there is not much chance of Super Rugby existing beyond this broadcast agreement. Hopefully with a chance to right some wrongs we can all get back on the same page and get some positive outcomes for rugby in Australia.

D

daz

The whole original point, as deemed by SANZAR, was that the SA and AUS conferences were too weak because of too many teams for the available talent and that the teams should be reduced to make the remaining stronger. .

I firmly believe this to be true. Time will tell if the ARU and I are right, and Oz rugby starts to be more competitive.

D

daz

I think we can all agree that there is not much chance of Super Rugby existing beyond this broadcast agreement. Hopefully with a chance to right some wrongs we can all get back on the same page and get some positive outcomes for rugby in Australia.

My gut feel is that when the fixtures for next year are released, and there are more local derbies, more prime time games and (hopefully) more competitive games, people will see Oz rugby grow stronger.

My prediction is that attendances will go up and up.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
My gut feel is that when the fixtures for next year are released, and there are more local derbies, more prime time games and (hopefully) more competitive games, people will see Oz rugby grow stronger.

My prediction is that attendances will go up and up.

I hope so mate.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Couple of things. The ARU needs to be responsible for the situation they put themselves by agreeing to a ludicrous competition format. Super 12/14 worked. Play everyone once, 4 team finals. Simple. Even the Super 15 format was better but still not ideal as Aus and NZ buckled to SA request of having to play only four of each of the other two conferences (comp should have run for two extra weeks to ensure everyone played everyone at least once).

The decision to expand the competition to include Japan and Argentina was only announced a month after Clyne became the chair of the board (he was a member for 2 years prior) and due to our financial state one we pretty much had to take. There was a clear decline in performance and viewership in Australia prior to this however it absolutely fell of a cliff after. Once this was realised and the additional broadcast money was eaten up things had to change.

However the Force too need to take responsibility for their poor financial management. This point has been missing in the discussion for sometime. Anytime a finger gets pointed at the Force it turns into a mudslinging match "well the Rebels got more" or the "tahs/Reds were bailed too" but that doesn't change what has happened to them or the situation we are now in.

The Force have been around for 12 years and Twiggy has only been a sponsor of Hodgo's jersey through FMG for $50k over a couple of seasons. Why has it taken until now for him to get behind them? Its a fair point. I have some hesitation in putting blind trust into a billion dollar business man when at this stage the only thing Twiggy has done is run a hate campaign against the ARU gaining free publicity by feeding off the Wests distrust of the East. Throwing around $50m commitment comments where we have no idea of the caveats attached.
I am a rugby person and I want to the game to grow outside the traditional areas. The Force have done a great job in their short life and needed longer to develop. Both sides have to take blame for the current situation. The situation isn't nearly as easy as its being portrayed nor as one sided. I honestly believe Clyne in that if Twiggy had of been apart of the discussions 18mths ago things would be a lot different.

Parse on another note, good comment. I am glad there is still places for decent rugby chat. People who have different opinions can voice them without being personally bagged.

I'm sure we would be fine if we had of got the extra 12m the Rebs got and the extra 2m+ pa for ARU top ups that the Tahs got every year.
Over just the last 5 years that would be 22m.
Good luck getting anything from the ARU after 2020, maybe get rid of the Rebs and the Brumbies so you and the Reds can share the spoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.