• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, GIO Stadium, Canberra, Sat 16th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
RE 6: I think it's clear we don't have anyone who can do what Fifita did for the ABs against Argentina. There's no raging bull at 6 who can blow away the defence in tight to make make up for our smaller 7 and 8 whether it be Hooper with Pockock or Hooper with McMahon. I think the best compromise is a bit of a brawler (like Coleman) who looks to hit aggressively but is simply lacking the physical prowess of someone like Fifita. That's why I think Dempsey is a better option than Hanigan at this stage as he seems to play with a bit more aggression and intensity.

But what about the lineout?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
But what about the lineout?
Dempsey can jump can't he? We basically only hit 1 in the first two bledislodes and used 2 as an option so I don't think we lose too much if Dempsey isn't as good as Hanigan as our third option. If Cheika plays McMahon, Hooper, and Pockock in the lineout next year then sound the alarm about the lineout until then I'm happy to have a more effective 6 over whatever marginal benefits Hanigan might bring to the lineout.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dempsey can jump can't he? We basically only hit 1 in the first two bledislodes and used 2 as an option so I don't think we lose too much if Dempsey isn't as good as Hanigan as our third option. If Cheika plays McMahon, Hooper, and Pockock in the lineout next year then sound the alarm about the lineout until then I'm happy to have a more effective 6 over whatever marginal benefits Hanigan might bring to the lineout.

I'll forever be skeptical of a 2 jumper lineout.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Is the forum displaying like a bucket of shit for anyone else? The background has gone all black and I can't see the little dropdown next to my handle (right side menu) in order to get to subsections of my profile

I notice the GAGR logo is gooorne from the front page also.

Is the ARU legal team looking for more targets, having got a taste for wielding the hammer?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

I think McMahon will be in Japan for the next couple of years and out of the picture for the RWC for now. Maybe Cheika can convince him otherwise?

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I just don't understand why McMahon is even there in the first place, regardless of how well he plays - it's about consistency from Cheika

If Fardy is told his services aren't required as he's not in Cheika's World Cup plans, then why on earth is a bloke who just signed a 3 year deal in Japan wearing gold?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I just don't understand why McMahon is even there in the first place, regardless of how well he plays - it's about consistency from Cheika

If Fardy is told his services aren't required as he's not in Cheika's World Cup plans, then why on earth is a bloke who just signed a 3 year deal in Japan wearing gold?

You are right. I read last week Cheika was desperately trying to look for some sort of out for McMahon so he will remain available. This seems highly unlikely, given McMahon has (apparently) signed some sort of contract, although someone on here mentioned recently that it was still undecided which team he would be playing for. But that hardly matters, the time frame does. It is, as you say, very inconsistent.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think if you were to point out Cheika's inconsistent selections to him it would do as much good as pointing out to Trump that the shit he says one day contradicts what he said the day before. Both of them don't seem to give two shits about their inconsistencies and almost seem to own them. It's very obvious that Cheika plays favourites with those he believes suit his style of play even though they might not be the most logical choice to fill a certain position. We'll soon see whether Cheika is a 4D intergalactic chess grandmaster making bizarre selections that turn out to be masterful strokes of genius come the next World Cup or whether he's just in over his head unable to make consistent selections.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have to say it is shaping up well for 2019.

front row - check
second row - check
back row - needs work
halves - pretty good
centres - check
back three - check

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think if you were to point out Cheika's inconsistent selections to him it would do as much good as pointing out to Trump that the shit he says one day contradicts what he said the day before. Both of them don't seem to give two shits about their inconsistencies and almost seem to own them. It's very obvious that Cheika plays favourites with those he believes suit his style of play even though they might not be the most logical choice to fill a certain position. We'll soon see whether Cheika is a 4D intergalactic chess grandmaster making bizarre selections that turn out to be masterful strokes of genius come the next World Cup or whether he's just in over his head unable to make consistent selections.

World Cups are only every 4 years.

Have no problem World Cups being a focus but we play about 45 tests before the world cup year. and probably about 55 including that world cup year.

To put a lot of eggs in the basket for one tournament (in which we may not even get out of our pool - unlikely but) is crap.

I want to see our team do well in each and every test

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Did not realise we were shaping up so well.

RWC 2019 is in the bag

You can clearly see the depth Cheika is trying to create. Perhaps his reasoning for the continued inclusion of Hanigan is that he wants him ready for the World Cup, even if he is only a bench option at that point.

He showed the capacity to ditch the 'best team available' stratagem prior to RWC '15 in order to build his best team.

Edit: and, frankly, at the start of this year with the inclusion of people like Hardwick, Powell etc.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
To put a lot of eggs in the basket for one tournament (in which we may not even get out of our pool - unlikely but) is crap.

I want to see our team do well in each and every test

I agree I'd rather see the best players selected for the Wallabies picked week in and week out and let the future take care of itself. My point was that Cheika doesn't necessarily subscribe to this philosophy and in some positions seems to prefer picking players he believes will play well the future (whether it be in World Cup, Bledislode or some other fixture) despite the fact there may be some more talented players who are nearing the end of their career (e.g. Fardy).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You can clearly see the depth Cheika is trying to create. Perhaps his reasoning for the continued inclusion of Hanigan is that he wants him ready for the World Cup, even if he is only a bench option at that point.

I agree that Cheika seems to like picking players like Hanigan to gain experience. But I think you open a can of worms when you start picking players in Bledislode Cup matches so they can 'gain experience.' At this point in time what can be more important than the Bledislode given the World Cup is still two years away? Would you really jeopardise the Bledislode performance to give a few players experience when those players could easily be injured or overtaken for the World Cup two years down the line? I also think it shows a little bit of a lack of faith in the Super Rugby and NRC to adequately develop players. Are these competitions really so poor that the only way we can develop our cattle is to throw them relatively raw and untested into a Bledislode? I'm all for using the June test window or the a couple of games on the EOYT to give players test experience but throwing players who clearly aren't ready straight into the Bledislode seems like madness to me.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree that Cheika seems to like picking players like Hanigan to gain experience. But I think you open a can of worms when you start picking players in Bledislode Cup matches so they can 'gain experience.' At this point in time what can be more important than the Bledislode given the World Cup is still two years away? Would you really jeopardise the Bledislode performance to give a few players experience when those players could easily be injured or overtaken for the World Cup two years down the line? I also think it shows a little bit of a lack of faith in the Super Rugby and NRC to adequately develop players. Are these competitions really so poor that the only way we can develop our cattle is to throw them relatively raw and untested into a Bledislode? I'm all for using the June test window or the a couple of games on the EOYT to give players test experience but throwing players who clearly aren't ready straight into the Bledislode seems like madness to me.

Haven't won the Bledisloe in years and as i can barely remember the last time it happened i long since stopped caring about it. It's an anachronism. We are so badly mismatched what's the point?

I would quite easily put preparation for a world cup over losing another Bledisloe any day.

Edit: I wonder if, statistically, we are more likely to win a World Cup or a Bledisloe Cup.

Double edit: I suppose i should add this to the unpopular opinion thread.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
hope to see Sefa or even Marika developed into centres before the 2019RWC, attacking wingers with speed make great centres, now if the rebels and the wallabies coaching staff can work out their defence, they would be useful. ...like how some ppl say that if it was possible to combine TK with Kerevi, we would have a great centre. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.