• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina 7 Oct 2017 in Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m confused as to the level of glee here.

If our games against SA were not poor non-wins, you can have a poor win. The win is good, but not a game I’ll remember warmly.

Not just Folau rarely engaged but nor was Kurindrani. Suspect our dual playmakers (Foley/Beale) not really getting the ball through the line.

D was simply porous.

A win should be celebrated, but it was not a good win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Because they're the same people saying "Too small for a proper blindside!" which indicates they have size-obsession issues. Probably own sports cars or large houses... Compensating for something.

Probably also the ones saying we need more mongrel in the Wobblies, then not recognising Dempsey for what he is: an utter ***t.

The point is he fucking ripped in and proved that what counts is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not just Folau rarely engaged but nor was Kurindrani. Suspect our dual playmakers (Foley/Beale) not really getting the ball through the line.
Throw in the fact that Folau was hit hard, early, and often. Kuridrani should be the broadsword to Beale's foil, but the Argie defence was rushing hard and locking down that space, so the plan seemed to be going wider. Why weren't there more calls to bring TK back on the angle? That's the question you're really asking. The game had poor flow due to shit refereeing leading to a nonexistent "last feet" line. All our breaks came either in the tram tracks and/or after two good phases at pace. We fucked a few of those up, too.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wasn't implying he faked it, i was saying that it was a matter of an inch in an otherwise perfectly executed tackle.

Its a problem with this substantially upright tackling position league players adopt to smother the ball. Having watched a bit of league lately there is almost always contact with the head. He probably should have got a yellow because there was undoubted contact with the head which was unintentional and contributed to by the Argentinian ducking a little.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A strangely satisfying performance from nearly everyone.
Interesting that Kafer was finally (among pro pundits) prepared to call out Folau.
If Cheika is fair dinkum Hanigan will slip in behind Dempsey. Korebeite is a seriously good winger.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

If our games against SA were not poor non-wins, you can have a poor win. The win is good, but not a game I’ll remember warmly.

D was simply porous.

It had some good features though, and there has been a noticeable improvement in fitness and general ball handling skills since June.

A work in progess, although still nowhere near the ABs or England.

T

TOCC

That tackle would even have been a penalty in league.

It should have been a penalty in this game as well. Note that the referee and the TMO ruled that it was a head clash and that the shoulder didn't contact the head, which was the basis for their decision. Peyper was trying to suggest otherwise (rightly so).

Even Rod Kafer thought it was a definite penalty.

Whilst I agree with your point, it wouldn’t have been a penalty in league... their ruling on contact with the head is pretty lax in tackles like those... just watch a replay of the Slater K/O for an example of that

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It had some good features though

Yes it did, within I think an overall uninspiring performance.

Re “fitness” - really?!I thought even Hooper was blowing before 30 min and everyone else was earlier. If what you want is guys trying to perform when off their legs, that’s what I saw. It might simply be the double world travelling plane trips, but I didnt th8nk fitness worked well for us here.

If you want to see fitness look at the last Sprngbok v AB game. 50 mins to the first half. Now THAT was fitness.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It had some good features though, and there has been a noticeable improvement in fitness and general ball handling skills since June.

A work in progess, although still nowhere near the ABs or England.
I don't know about not being close to England. We were close to them last year 4 times when they were peaking and we were in experimental mode. EOYT will tell us more.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Whilst I agree with your point, it wouldn’t have been a penalty in league. their ruling on contact with the head is pretty lax in tackles like those. just watch a replay of the Slater K/O for an example of that

I watch quite a bit of league and in that circumstance I've seen plenty of penalties for exactly this type of tackle this year. As soon as the ball carrier is treated in league they check it and if shoulder contacts with head, it's a penalty - nothing more (which is all that should have occurred in this case).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought the tackle connected on the shoulders as the guy dropped lower just before contact

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Those posters who said he wasn't up to it have been strangely quiet post match.

He had a good game.
Let’s see it replicated against the ABs and higher ranked sides before we annoint Dempsey as the solution to our blindside problems.
I liked what I saw against the argies but his cameos from the bench against better opposition were not nearly as impressive.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Yep seems they are Pfitzy, if you don't play super rugby you don't play test rugby. It is no wonder they are looking so stale, it too long together.
So our 2 wins came against the 10th placed super side? That kinda takes some of the fun out of it.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

D was simply porous.

37-20 in Mendoza is a good win, esp with shonky kicking.

Attacking shape was great in the centre esp considering the number of newbies on the pitch: Koroibete (needs a nickname), Rodda and Dempsey, Tui as reserve and Faulkner. Flat and regularly over the ad line. Good handling and skills.

I still don't like the number of tries shipped. But still a good win.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Fatprop, think sometimes we expect to much from our teams. Although I an AB man, I can still see Wallabies didn't go that bad, and I not sure if we realise how buggered some of the team must be by now. I actually thought the same about ABs saturday night, think these teams are probably a little bit knackered from playing/travelling and they are not going to be right on top of their game everytime they take field. I imagine Chuckles and his mates would be reasonably happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.