• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Sunday 19 November 2:00am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
FFS when Beale is running across field and then otaji knocks the ball out of his hand forward as he passed it and it's called a wallaby knock on. Beale was carded for an intentional knock on. Otaji was already penalised once for doing it to Genia and now he does it again but gets away with it. Amazingly one sided

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Itoji didn't knock the ball on, if you actually watch the game Shiggins, he played the halfback from an offside position and that is what he was penalised for. He hit Genias arm who dropped the ball. and even if he did contact the ball the direction would have amounted to a stripping motion and the ball travelled forward from Genia so no knock on. Still offside though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Adversarial much? I added this because it was one thing specifically pointed out about Hooper at the point he got yellow carded. I think England were offside on plenty of occasions that weren't called.

Not at all BH. You are reading into it. Thought I was agreeing with you. If you’re right the red was being both inconsistent and pedantic.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
His passion comes as part of the package, he wears his heart on his sleeve. I guess he should be more be less passionate, more diplomatic and say nothing like most other coaches or just cover the video camera. But I don't think that would be better, just different complaints

In a previous profession during a non public meeting I called a Superintendent of Police a man of no honour who was loose with the truth and resembling female genitalia. His reaction by your standard, because I am a man of passionately held ethical beliefs, was out of all proportion and he should have been more tolerant because that passion is an asset and comes as part of the package. A major difference in my case were that my statements were ones of proven facts, Chieka has no such factual evidence to fall back on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hooper's "try" was no try. Technical and all that. The proof was in the pudding in that the neutral Referee disallowed same

I don't really get why some people are contesting it. He's around 2 metres in front of the kicker, never stops advancing and to cap it all off he puts his hands up while he's doing it. I remember our coach telling us back in about the under 10s never to put your hands up if you're offside - it doesn't put you onside, just makes sure that the referee sees you.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Does he have to completely stop even though he was slowing to stop but then but onside ?

Yes. It is not hard. The rules are black and white. It is inarguable and the fact is his actions at the time and comments since mean that Hooper doesn't know the laws of the game. I'll go further and say that the stats over a long period, culminating in 8 YCs to Hooper mean that the usual statistical anomalies have been corrected for and a clear pattern is there. Hooper attracts excessive penalties and his value of play while dominant in many aspects can be justifiably questioned in total to the costs. As a Captain I suppose he suits Chieka, passionate and unable to control himself to the detriment of the team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The first artical I found on Richie says he received 3 YCs in his career. So yes, I'd say that Hooper is getting on the wrong side. It is not good for the Wallabies, surely any other player would be counseled over it.

Does not mean McCaw did not deserve more yellow cards but yes better player of the edges and moreso the ref than Hooper perhaps.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'll remember that for when it never gets called again

What you’re implying is correct, it’ll get ignored 100s of other times in various situations and, by the same token will get picked up by local refs when it has absolutely no material impact on the game becuase they feel the need to show the are in charge.

None of which changes the fact that the ref was 100% correct in this case.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yes. It is not hard. The rules are black and white. It is inarguable and the fact is his actions at the time and comments since mean that Hooper doesn't know the laws of the game. I'll go further and say that the stats over a long period, culminating in 8 YCs to Hooper mean that the usual statistical anomalies have been corrected for and a clear pattern is there. Hooper attracts excessive penalties and his value of play while dominant in many aspects can be justifiably questioned in total to the costs. As a Captain I suppose he suits Chieka, passionate and unable to control himself to the detriment of the team.
So why when England do it it's not even penalised ?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So why when England do it it's not even penalised ?

I did not even see them do it once. You do realise that it would not have been penalised if Koroibete had just dived on the ball and slid over for the try or set up the next phase. That is inexperience for you, but since Hooper in an offside position had a material effect on the game by scoring the Ref had no choice but to penalise. When it has no material effect it will often get passed by, like a lot of other offences, just like the Robshaw one (which I'll assume you are referring about). However that said every time there is a box kick from a ruck you'll hear the ref talking to the piggies to stay back and wait until the half of first chaser has gone past.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I did not even see them do it once. You do realise that it would not have been penalised if Koroibete had just dived on the ball and slid over for the try or set up the next phase. That is inexperience for you, but since Hooper in an offside position had a material effect on the game by scoring the Ref had no choice but to penalise. When it has no material effect it will often get passed by, like a lot of other offences, just like the Robshaw one (which I'll assume you are referring about). However that said every time there is a box kick from a ruck you'll hear the ref talking to the piggies to stay back and wait until the half of first chaser has gone past.

It's actually one of the few infringements that the referees are consistent in applying. And yes, diving well before the line either on the loose ball or even when in possession to score is pretty much "Playing on a Wet Pitch 101".

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I made a gif with them doing it but it's too big to upload for some reason.

Reactions: TSR

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Because deliberately and illegally killing an attacking opportunity is fundamentally against the spirit of Rugby: and a reasonable punishment such as a yellow card is the best way to discourage that behaviour.

It's definitely one of the better changes to the interpretations we've had over the past 3 or 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I could accept this as true and in my opinion welcome, BUT. You might recall that a Welsh player blatantly knocked on when "trying for an intercept" and he didn't get carded by Action Jackson. So which interpretation is correct? Did Jackson dud us last week or did the referee over-react this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.