• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Fainga'a is a better out and out 7 (like Gill) then Hardwick, and with Mafi and Timani, you need a more dedicated on the baller then an all rounder like Hardwick. Also I think Meakes played more 13 before he came to Aus, so I expect him to fill that jumper as that is the least filled one, with English and Naivalu being capable, but 12 have some dedicated players. In regards to Hanson/Uelese, either way you start, with experience coming off the bench or with youthful agro coming off the bench, it's a great problem. Same with the reserve props off the bench, do you go with the young and strong future in Sione and Talakai, or the 'been there done that' experience of Daley and Weeks. I see Hanson eyeing a permanent move overseas etiher as a release on the back of his short term contract or immediately after Super Rugby, so it's good they are keeping Rangi around.

1. Faulker 2. Uelese 3. Ainsley
4. Coleman 5. Phillips
6. Timani 8. Mafi 7. Fainga'a
9. Genia 10. Lance 11. Naivalu 12. Hodge 13. Meakes 14. Koroibete 15. DHP
16. Hanson 17. Daley 18. Talakai 19. Parling 20. Hardwick 21. Ruru (hopefully) 22/23 Horwitz/English OR Tuipolotu/Maddocks

2019 Season (assuming some people will leave)
1. Faulker 2. Uelese 3. Ainsley
4. Coleman 5. Phillips
6. RHP 8. Timani 7. Hardwick/Fainga'a
9. Genia 10. Lance 11. Naivalu 12. Hodge 13. Meakes 14. Koroibete 15. DHP
17. Rangi 18. Sione 19. Talakai 20. Haangana 21. Hardwick/Fainga'a 22. Ruru 22. Tuipolotu 23. Maddocks
Assuming Coleman signs with the Rebs.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
i think the departure of Cummins, suggests that is/will be the case. re the backline, i predict that Tayler Adams will be the starting 10 by end of season.
I just didn’t want to count my chickens. Surely that should be the squad done if / when Coleman signs.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
went down to watch the Rebels train this am, short diversion from my usual amble/walk/trot ... lots of new faces, obviously. but good to see some of the old ones resuming training, Tom English, Laurie Weeks, Sefa, Pama Fou !! - running at fullback, of the newbies, RHP, Hardwicke, Talakai, Rangi or Paenga-Amosa ?, and i think Hugh Sinclair was training as well. For what its worth Nick Stirzaker was sort of just wandering around, seemed not that involved or interested. Morgan T was still there too. they were doin a lot of individual and small group skills, as well as running phase attacking plays and lines. everyone looked pretty keen as you'd expect at this stage

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
went down to watch the Rebels train this am, short diversion from my usual amble/walk/trot . lots of new faces, obviously. but good to see some of the old ones resuming training, Tom English, Laurie Weeks, Sefa, Pama Fou !! - running at fullback, of the newbies, RHP, Hardwicke, Talakai, Rangi or Paenga-Amosa ?, and i think Hugh Sinclair was training as well. For what its worth Nick Stirzaker was sort of just wandering around, seemed not that involved or interested. Morgan T was still there too. they were doin a lot of individual and small group skills, as well as running phase attacking plays and lines. everyone looked pretty keen as you'd expect at this stage

On the coaches, did you see Zane and/or Craig? Heard stories about Dave bringing most of his staff over from WA, but nothing confirmed.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I had expectations for 2017. We had a relatively good 2015 and 16. Signed Koroibete. Hodge in his second season. And then the pre season games occurred.

Maybe avoid the Reds curse and bold predictions for them after signing decent roster last season...but seriously you have a coach who seems to have proved his mettle (still early days but had good season with Force in trying circumstances).

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Weeks & Stirzacker looking for a move overseas. Naivalu & Fou on track to be ready for RD 1. However Ainsley looks set to be out for first few rounds. Few more additions to the Rebels squad coming.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Weeks & Stirzacker looking for a move overseas. Naivalu & Fou on track to be ready for RD 1. However Ainsley looks set to be out for first few rounds. Few more additions to the Rebels squad coming.

I’m guessing one of those additions has the initials AC?

With Rangi signing, does that mean Silvia Silvia is off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Maybe avoid the Reds curse and bold predictions for them after signing decent roster last season.but seriously you have a coach who seems to have proved his mettle (still early days but had good season with Force in trying circumstances).

Happy to have Wessels as he seems to have some sort of a clue but really some of the talk about his proved prowess is way way too early. He has 1 year of experience where the Force won 6 matches. For comparison, McGahan won 4 in his first season and 7 in his second and third season.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Sad if we lose Weeks and Stirzacker. But really, neither are likely to get a lot of game time. Stirzacker will have to lose the captaincy and will be sitting on the bench waiting for Genia to have a 5-10 minute break at the end of the game.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^BM really mate the right call going to London Irish, even if he has only managed 5 games so far this season.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Craig & Zane are currently part of the Samoa coaching staff in Europe. Zane won't be returning, Craig still 50/50

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
If the Rebels are going to be a Force in Aussie rugby, 2018 will be their best chance.

We shall see

The main issue is how will the 3 parts of the team gel. At the moment it is probably a couple of new players (Parling and Genia) and (roughly) 50:50 Force/Rebels. The Genia/Lance combo will be crucial to unleash the backline.

Lance is also pretty crucial to the Wallabies as obviously Cooper ran over someones dog and Leali'ifano is returning to SuperRugby and is a little older than Lance.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Genia has played pretty well for the Wallabies in the past 12 months except for an absolute shocker last game against the Poms. He seems to generally lift his performances when playing for the Wallabies than when he plays super rugby (as you would expect)

He will be a hard bloke for Wessels to "control" down there and IMO will find it difficult to engage with a lot of players in the playing group.

He will bring something to the Rebels, to what extent remains to be seen.

Rebs seem to have a handy roster in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.