• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
A bit early , I know , but here is Owen's early book for 2018

TSS - $1.25
Nudgee - $1.75
BBC - $15.00
TGS - $25.00
Terrace - $30.00
Churchie - $50.00
Grammar - $50.00
IGS - $100.00
BSHS - $100.00

Get some

The top 2 are way too short (still probably deserving of the top 2 places at this stage though).

This has always been a very competitive age group and I see BBC, NC, GT, TGS and even BSHS being capable of beating anyone on their day. In fact I would say 2018 more that any other year will be influenced more by off field (home field,coaching and sections) issues than raw talent on the pitch.

TSS, BBC, GT, NC and to an extent BSHS have VERY strong cores on which to build teams around, while up on the range TGS is collecting players like they are footy cards.

TSS probably has the least questions around selections and fewer disruptions over the past 2 years and that is why they should be favorites but more like $2.50 than a $1.25.

On your current market I've got $1 for BSHS @ $100, $10 for BBC @ $15 and $50 for GT @ $30 if you're taking bets.

What odds the field against your 1:25 hot shots??

BAG

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Ahoy there BAG

TSS scaled up a cliff face in the age group the season before last and really set themselves apart . Nudgee too - but to a lesser extent.

I'll call it now - TSS are going 8 and zip next year , or , 7 and 1 with Nudgee for the W on Ross where Blue and White will have them quietly waiting

GT's top line of talent has been thin in the age group for mine , although , BBC have done their bit to help them out - plus they haven't got the forwards to make a serious tilt next year - irrespective of "the 2 or 3" that will inevitably be added courtesy of everyone's favourite crazy Uncle - Uncle Tom.

A lot of chat about TGS from our mate Realist who has been riding ahead , Paul Revere like , and warning us of that the Imports are coming . Meh. As our good pal notes , there doesn't seem to be any organisation or culture ....no "quan” as Rod Tidwell would put it .

Good to see some love for State High too BAG -even if your wager is straight out of the Mortimer Duke playbook you ballsy bastit

High will manage to put 15 talented lads out there next year and that's about it , although , Ipswich have also done their best to help bolster their ranks . I'm not sure if they will have a 2nds or a 16B's but they'll have a Firsts

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Ahoy there BAG

TSS scaled up a cliff face in the age group the season before last and really set themselves apart . Nudgee too - but to a lesser extent.

I'll call it now - TSS are going 8 and zip next year , or , 7 and 1 with Nudgee for the W on Ross where Blue and White will have them quietly waiting

GT's top line of talent has been thin in the age group for mine , although , BBC have done their bit to help them out - plus they haven't got the forwards to make a serious tilt next year - irrespective of "the 2 or 3" that will inevitably be added courtesy of everyone's favourite crazy Uncle - Uncle Tom.

A lot of chat about TGS from our mate Realist who has been riding ahead , Paul Revere like , and warning us of that the Imports are coming . Meh. As our good pal notes , there doesn't seem to be any organisation or culture ..no "quong" as Rod Tidwell would put it .

Good to see some love for State High too BAG -even if your wager is straight out of the Mortimer Duke playbook you ballsy bastit

High will manage to put 15 talented lads out there next year and that's about it , although , Ipswich have also done their best to help bolster their ranks . I'm not sure if they will have a 2nds or a 16B's but they'll have a Firsts

Yes I believe more imports for next year is actually a negative especially after the big number coming this year and as you would all be aware you know how well that went for us, it was quite embrassing at times. I have heard that the boys have had the blow touch pointed at them pretty hard with the start of pre season, maybe the blow touch needs to pointed around 180 degrees back the other way.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree with GO on a couple of fronts. Firstly , bit early to make too many predictions , especially until the full extent of recruitment is known. You never know who might show up from NZ or WA to strengthen some perceived weakness in the squads. Might even be a South American flavour to the dorms at TSS after their recent tour? Secondly , TSS easily deserve to start as the early favourites. Think if their 10 stays fit they will be very hard to beat. He will be in his third year of First XV . The only game TSS lost this year he went off injured at the 10 minute mark and their structure and game management seemed lost without him on the park. I do though think the comp will be a lot closer than the odds offered . The talent is a lot more evenly spread than maybe you realise. Have a look at Qld U16 teams from this year and you will see what I'm on about. In fact GT had the highest number named in the Red team that won the National Championship and a couple of them went on to be named in the Australian U16 merit team. Maybe GO's call of lacking top end talent might be a little harsh? BBC, NC also had 2 named , with one each from TSS, BSHS, IGS and Churchie. I think one of the biggest factors that will influence the outcome of 2018 is the number of boys having their second ( or even third ) dig at First XV. The experience of having played at that level is invaluable. Would place number of boys returning above U16 results. Not sure , but think quite a few of the teams have good numbers returning. Honestly believe it will be close, unless of course TSS end up with the Argentinian tight 5 in their dorm, then it's all over.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
In 2012, Sam Greene won the Premiership as the best flyhalf in the comp.
In 2013, Bobby Tuttle did likewise.
In 2014, Mack Mason led a superstar Churchie side from flyhalf.
In 2015, Brodie Croft took Churchie back-to-back.
In 2016, Isaac Crone won a premiership with the #10 jersey, while Augustus Rangihuna and Isaac Lucas sharing the rest of the podium.
In 2017 honours were split between two exceptional 16 year olds in Campbell Parata and Reesjan Pasitoa.

The point I'm making is that in the past six years, the team with the best flyhalf has come away with the GPS trophy in five of them.

GPS Rugby of late has boiled down to which team can put up the best #10, and 2018 is looking like it'll be the tightest year since 2012 on that front as a bunch of 16-year-olds transition into the top grade.

Pasitoa and Parata, as co-defending champions, rightfully sit atop the power rankings.

Carter Gordon from BBC is sniffing around to claim that mantle of "best flyhalf", as are Daejarn Asi from BGS and young Fijian Meli Dreu at Ipswich Grammar.

Francis Pona from BSHS showed some excellent flashes towards the back end of 2017 as he relegated Isaac Crone to the scrumhalf position.

TGS will be looking for their next Harry Leerentveld while Churchie will be hoping that Charlie Howard can make a bigger splash in his final year.

For Gregory Terrace, question marks abound. I'm not sure whether Xavier Siolo and Matt Lo Grande will be returning? I hope someone can fill me in.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
In 2016, Isaac Crone won a premiership with the #10 jersey, while Augustus Rangihuna and Isaac Lucas sharing the rest of the podium.
In 2017 honours were split between two exceptional 16 year olds in Campbell Parata and Reesjan Pasitoa.

The point I'm making is that in the past six years, the team with the best flyhalf has come away with the GPS trophy in five of them.

GPS Rugby of late has boiled down to which team can put up the best #10, and 2018 is looking like it'll be the tightest year since 2012 on that front as a bunch of 16-year-olds transition into the top grade.
H
Pasitoa and Parata, as co-defending champions, rightfully sit atop the power rankings.

Carter Gordon from BBC is sniffing around to claim that mantle of "best flyhalf", as are Daejarn Asi from BGS and young Fijian Meli Dreu at Ipswich Grammar.

Francis Pona from BSHS showed some excellent flashes towards the back end of 2017 as he relegated Isaac Crone to the scrumhalf position.

TGS will be looking for their next Harry Leerentveld while Churchie will be hoping that Charlie Howard can make a bigger splash in his final year.

For Gregory Terrace, question marks abound. I'm not sure whether Xavier Siolo and Matt Lo Grande will be returning? I hope someone can fill me in.
How's your team of the year going King?

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)

Sources tell me Matt Lo Grande and Xavier Siolo have moved on, interestingly I have been told that Xaviers younger brother is a promising flyhalf and was GT 15a flyhalf, he was also JGC Qld White, Met North Rugby league and Met North Rugby union this year, I vas at the State champs in Townsville and I do recall this boy he had a great carnival with the right coaching and development he has the potential to fill the role, not much feedback on who filled the 16a role for GT in 2017 anyone have, any insight

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
How's your team of the year going King?

Abandoned. Just too much effort required, though I might tinker with it before the start of next season. The team I had in mind was:

1. Egan Siggs
2. Rhys van Nek
3. Zane Nonggor (returning in 2018)
4. Tom van der Schyff
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Ethan Bullemor
7. Hayden Moseley
8. Reno Gerrard
9. Tom Casey
10. Campbell Parata (returning in 2018)
11. Jangala Bennett
12. Noah Lolesio
13. Cullen Ngamanu
14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (returning in 2018)
15. Jordan Petaia

The video would make it tough to argue any selection, even the more controversial ones. I feel strongly that this is the team of the year for 2017

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
My apologies GO , misunderstood what you meant by top end talent being thin.

My point though stands , the top end talent in this year's U16 group is spread pretty evenly. NC, BBC and GT all had very similar numbers selected for both the U16 Qld teams and the U16 Australian merit team. All the other GPS teams where represented except for BGS and that was only because Hamiso again did not play for Qld after being selected.

The TSS U16a's were dominant this year, but to the best of my knowledge only had their #3 playing First XV, #8 & #10 are in year 11 and will be back in 2018 as 18 year olds. If you had all the 16 YO playing First XV at NC, BBC , GT and BSHS back in their 16a's you would have seen a very competitive comp.

Think the year playing First XV for these boys will make for much stronger teams next year, throw in a few 17yo who were in year 11 this year that each team is bound to have and we will end up with another close year of First XV.

Don't know much about the other schools. With Steve Nance at IGS you would expect to see a much fitter team . A super fit IGS forward pack might give the comp a scare. You would think that if the number of new cattle in the TGS dorms is correct , that eventually it will pay dividends.

Just saying I think it will be close!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm not underestimating the importance of a good 10 , however , I would not put it in terms of "whoever has the best 10 wins"

Without taking away from Parata - having a guy like Loleiso riding shotgun with him in the inside backs was a big advantage - before we even talk about the volume of front foot ball they had , the quality of their set piece , the carry of Gerrard , the scrap of Vine on the ball - who I would have picked in my all GPS underrated team last year

I guess my point is that in order for a playmaker to shine , yeah sure - he has to have the talent - BUT he isn't doing dick ( in terms of scaling up the cliff face and winning the whole thing ) if :

1. There is first not 25 x genuine First XV Rugby Players in your squad where at least 12 to 13 of them could genuinely be in the mix as #1 or #2 at their position in GPS Rugby. That means recruitment and a commitment to depth that ideally started 2 to 3 years prior to these guys getting to Opens

2. And then following on from #1 above - the Coaches really need to know and understand precisely who and what they have and put a specific blueprint / method of play around the who and what that they think has the best chance to win . But in order to do that you must understand the who and the what from the serious contenders

In other words - pick a style / method based around who and what you have got , commit and execute and then let the chips fall where they may

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'll also just say Hamish Stewart

Hamish Stewart

Mack , Sam Greene etc al ......yeah well ......a lot of this stuff comes down to timing - but of all the GPS 10's of the last 5 years I still take Hamish Stewart of the perennial middling Mountain Men .

And its not close

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Having said all of that The King is right - this coming season's crop is quality with Gordon , Parata and Pasiota all having claims

I just don't think Asi will have the guns around him to see what he is truly capable of

More questions than answers at GT .

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I've been loving 'The Season' on FoxSports. Offering a great insight into what is an incredible rugby culture.

To Nudgee staff, both lurkers and members of this forum, well done for making this happen.

Hopefully it inspires other schools to follow suit!

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Abandoned. Just too much effort required, though I might tinker with it before the start of next season. The team I had in mind was:

1. Egan Siggs
2. Rhys van Nek
3. Zane Nonggor (returning in 2018)
4. Tom van der Schyff
5. Trevor Hosea
6. Ethan Bullemor
7. Hayden Moseley
8. Reno Gerrard
9. Tom Casey
10. Campbell Parata (returning in 2018)
11. Jangala Bennett
12. Noah Lolesio
13. Cullen Ngamanu
14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (returning in 2018)
15. Jordan Petaia

The video would make it tough to argue any selection, even the more controversial ones. I feel strongly that this is the team of the year for 2017

Thanks Nic. The selections do show some of the issues Schoolboy Rugby has at Rep level when this team (and I realize it is only one person's opinion, like most teams selected) leaves out no less than seven Australian Schoolboy and Barbarian players who were eligible for this "Team of Season" selection. In fact on average, around four Aust Schoolboys / Barbarian did not make any of the Contributor selections.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I've been loving 'The Season' on FoxSports. Offering a great insight into what is an incredible rugby culture.

To Nudgee staff, both lurkers and members of this forum, well done for making this happen.

Not hard to see why they have won twice as many titles as anyone else. Certainly makes some of the others look like amateur hour. Very very impressive. BAG

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Agree, Was not sure what to expect but it's been really well produced, sort of like the NFL show Hard Knocks which I love to watch too.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I had a chat with the show's director this afternoon and was really impressed. He seemed to have a genuine interest in promoting the competition "seriously".

It appears that FoxSports have chucked a hissy over Nudgee hosting the show on their own YouTube channel but Rugbypass.com appear to have navigated that issue somehow.

It looks like there's a two-three day delay, but it will all make it's way online for free sooner rather than later!

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was also pleasantly surprised with the production qualities. Also didn't come off to cheesy either which i thought was a high risk.

Watched it free on rugbypass which is good, cheers Paddy.

Must comment that Gerard Alexander is not acting for the camera's, nicest genuine coach/teacher you will come across. Surprised he is coaching Firsts for that very reason.